profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Hither Lands: Roleplaying in Middle-earth
Author Topic: Hither Lands: Roleplaying in Middle-earth
vgunn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4695
posted      Profile for vgunn   Author's Homepage   Email vgunn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well as alternative to all the unfortunate and disconcerting news coming from Decipher and its LOTR RPG lately, I'd like to direct those interested to my new effort.

It is an unofficial Middle-Earth Roleplaying game that I have decided to write. At this point it is still developing, yet is growing every day. The game came about because I was not satisfied with the CODA adaptation to the setting. At first, I chose to just convert over to the cinematic version of Unisystem found in Buffy. And well the campaign played out very successfully, I wanted something designed specific for Middle-Earth. A system that would add some sort of spiritual attributes like Pendragon or Riddle of Steel and one that would stay as close to Tolkien's image of magic. I needed a system that would allow for a under-powered character like Samwise Gamgee to defeat a powerful Shelob in battle. Yet, for the most part, remain unbalanced in terms of the power of individual races (Noldor are vastly superior to Hobbits for instance). I wanted a system that would have very fast combat that could be both gritty and heroic. I wanted a system that was rules-lite that would be as transparent as it could be (not one that dominates the setting), yet still has some substance. Well I hope that Hither Lands: Roleplaying in Middle-Earth will be it for myself and others. It is not something I've done for profit or personal gain. I'd just like to share a possible solution to those who want to rpg in the greatest setting ever created.

www.hither-lands.com is the site. There are on-line and pdf versions of the quickstart rules and just posted yesterday is a 25 page teaser on Character Creation. The final product is set to be released on August 1. Here is what the layout will look like:

Prologue

Forward
Acknowledgements
Disclaimer
Introduction
Setting

Chapter 1

Character Creation
Concept
Races
Attributes
Merits
Flaws
Skills
Fea
Hroa
Final Details
Character Sheet

Chapter Two

Archetypes
Equipment Lists

Chapter Three

Ruleset
Modifiers
Margin of success

Chapter Four

Attributes (detailled)
Skills (detailled)
Fea (detailled)
Hroa (detailled)
Valour (detailled)
(Example - Sam vs Shelob, Boromir's last stand, Bard vs. Smaug)
Corruption (detailled)
Taint (detailled)
Honour (detailled)
Duty (detailled)
Ardour (detailled)
Merits (detailled)
Flaws (detailled)
Renown (detailled)
Luck (detailled)

Chapter Five

Combat
Damage
Threat
Armour
Shield
Cover
Battle-feats
Size
Complications in Battle
Battle for Middle-earth (mass combat)

Chapter Six

Further perils
Fear
Healing

Chapter Seven

Enchantments
Spell-Craft
Lore-Craft
Dwimmer-Craft
Sub-Creation
Intent & Purpose
Method
Material
Time & Effect
Exclusion
Cost of Enchantments
Power Level
Weariness
Out of the frying pan ... Into the fire
List of spells, Lore and Dwimmer

Chapter Eight

Of Peoples
Elves
Dwarves
Men
Hobbits

Chapter Nine

Advancement
Experience

Chapter Ten

Brief history of Middle-earth
Brief geography of Middle-earth

Chapter Eleven

Allies
Selection of Heroes (Aragorn and so on)

Chapter Twelve

Enemies
Servants of Shadow

Epilogue

Sample Adventures

So, if you are interested, head out to the site and take a look at the pdf. Feel free to PM or email me feedback, suggestions, comments about Hither Lands. It is my goal to have the most in-depth, enjoyable and true to the spirit of Tolkien RPG for anyone to enjoy.

From: Rosemary Beach, FL | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zennathil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4843
posted      Profile for Zennathil   Email Zennathil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How is the project progressing vgunn?

I've popped over to the site, which looks pretty professional, and like the look of the system so far. Again, looking good.

Look forward to seeing the finished version.

Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Hither Lands: Roleplaying in Middle-earth
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help