Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Movies, Swords, all thing Medieval!!! (Page 2)
Author Topic: Movies, Swords, all thing Medieval!!!
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Medieval history is my absolute favourite! I read all I can about it.

Have any of you read/seen the Cadfael series? Amazing stuff.

Lol - Holy Grail is wonderful - but do you feel it is quite realistic? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Problem with a lot of medieval films is that they're so unrealistic and too "hollywood". Holy Grail of course doesn't count, it's just a laugh. But when the movie companies butcher old stories/myths/whatever like they did with Beowulf (Beowulf and the 13th warrior) I begin to lose hope that there are reliable filmmakers out there.
But I know there are films that are good, or realistic at least, and there was much rejoycing. []

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, when I was youger, I read the series of books including "The Black Cauldron." I thought that was a good series. I later saw the Disney movie, and man, did they ever wreck it! I'm certainly glad that PJ didn't ruin LOTR completely. Btw, has anyone else read the Redwall series?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the 13:th warrior actually based on a book which was in turn based on Beowulf?
I should find that book and read it. Maybe it's better...

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
13th warrior was a mix of many things from norse and anglo-saxon litterature, mixed with the arabian chronicles.

Don't mix your drugs.

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dianthelle Queen of Spies
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2566

posted      Profile for Dianthelle Queen of Spies   Author's Homepage   Email Dianthelle Queen of Spies   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] to the 13th warrior. I loathed that movie!

*Ducks to avoid the flying projectiles*

From: Elsinore | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad, Dian. I hated it too.
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
It was truly a disappointment. Here I was, expecting a big budget serious viking movie.
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
haven't seen that one yet, I'll rent it this week!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
She-Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2259

posted      Profile for She-Elf   Author's Homepage   Email She-Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] DON'T!!! It's aserious waist of money! It's really awefull!
From: Fraggle Rock | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

I wanna see the movie "Timeline." That looks interesting. The guy goes back to like 1375 A.D. for some reason.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've studied the 14th century quite a bit, so I'm curious to see how accurate Timeline is with clothing, arms & armour, etc. I don't have very high hopes. That's disappointing, because one of the major themes of the novel is how most people grossly misunderstand the Middle Ages because of bad movies, books, pseudo-historical novels, etc.

And here's my advice on The Thirteenth Warrior: I actually recommend you see it! You should ignore 95% of the clothing and armour and weapons all the main people wear or use, but IMHO it really captures the "feel" of the era pretty well.

Oh, and the movie was based on Michael Crichton's book Eaters of the Dead, which he based loosely on the Beowulf stories and the accounts of an Arab traveller (ibn Fadlan) who chronicled his contact with the Rus (Norsemen) who he met at the Bulgar capital. He basically wanted to sort of mix those stories up and present one possible "real" scenario that gave rise to legends like Beowulf.

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I too liked The 13th Warrior. Not the best movie ever, but it wasn't terrible.

Medieval history's pretty interesting, though my primary area of interest lies in ancient European history (Rome, classical and Mycenaean Greece, etc.) and Chinese history.

Wait...so what am I doing here, you ask? In the immortal words of Fighter: "I like swords." []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Glorfindel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3110

posted      Profile for Lord Glorfindel   Author's Homepage   Email Lord Glorfindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
www.blades-uk.com for all you Engerlanders, Scottlanders etc
From: I grew up in Europe, where History is from. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn Wingfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 475

posted      Profile for Aragorn Wingfoot   Email Aragorn Wingfoot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read the 13th warrior and liked it all right. Micheal Crighton has an interesting writing style in that book. Never saw the movie, looked stupid, but the book was 25 cents so i got it. Not too bad.

I read Timeline also, the book was great but I've heard the movie was stupido. I do plan on seeing it though.

Also, i have 3 swords (all lovely ) and around 10 daggers.
my favorite sword sites are www.kultofathena.com and arms of valour

[ 12-02-2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Aragorn Wingfoot ]

From: That place just north of the South | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aragorn, good links! []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
posted      Profile for Incanus   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Medieval is really cool. I've gone to countless rennaisance fairs, but up until now I haven't had the money to buy any large weapons. Mostly I stick with Feudal Japan, which is where my greatest interest lies.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

I've recently bought a Samurai sword off of eBay. It's a 39.75 inch katana. I got it for only $7.53 Canadian! But it's the shipping that kills ya. If you're looking for practical weaponry and armour, go to By The Sword. I've found it very useful and have bought several items from them. The Renaissance Store is another good site I found.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Silvanis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4926
posted      Profile for Silvanis   Email Silvanis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
if you want cheap swords go to 5stardeal.com its a very good and cheap place

i have bought most of my swords there

From: i dont know IM LOST!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

Question: How do you register? I couldn't find a link to a Sign-up page.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah medieval weapons are pretty cool i have 4 british longbows (one actually used in he battle of Agincourt 1415) but its in a special case because the wood might rot and i have two katanas i also like Fedual Japan and i have 7 daggers and 3 short swords
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silvanis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4926
posted      Profile for Silvanis   Email Silvanis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER TRY TO MAKE A BOW IT WILL TURN OUT REALLY BAD *think of how bad his bow is* i was really bored one day...
From: i dont know IM LOST!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Were you making it out of wood, Silvanis? What wood were you using?
My father had a frustrating time making the curved back of a Windsor-type chair. The process of soaking the wood in warmed water, in order to bend it, can produce quite random results.

[ 03-06-2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silvanis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4926
ya i was making it out of wood but i dont know which wood and i didnt try to soak it in water cause the wood bent just fine for the string i used fishing wire it worked pritty good but i had to keep tighting it because it keept getting losser every shot
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

So I suppose you couldn't tell me how to register at 5 Star?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Movies, Swords, all thing Medieval!!! (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help