Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Movies, Swords, all thing Medieval!!! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Movies, Swords, all thing Medieval!!!
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. My friends and I are very into the medieval world, part of the reason we love LOTR. My friends and I have made a few movies, computer edited and all, mostly medieval, with swords, costumes, helmets, and all. We mostly make our own stuff. Wooden spray painted swords, 2 spary painted KFC chick buckets together with holes cut in them as helmets, and corny movie ideas!

Anyway, we have started recently to purchase real swords, mostly off ebay. I own a 23 1.2" decorated Excallibur sword and scabbard, 4 of my friends own the same sword. One also has a 12" throwing axe, a 3' axe, a helmet, and a 36" broad sword. I also own a decorated 3' scimitar from the 1800's. So as you can see, we are putting together a small armoury of weapons and a good wardrobe of costumes, capes, tunics, gauntlets, etc.

So this thread is all about peoples fantizations with swords, medieval movie watching/making, and the Lord of the Rings!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, my cousin got an AWESOME sword for only twenty dollars. I WANT ONE! I can't remember a time when I didn't like medieval stuff...Dragonheart was the first movie I bought with my own money (back when I only got a dollar a week)....
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Man, a dollar a week, you must've been saving for months! I've always been crazy about medieval stuff. My friend's 36" broad sword (huge) only cost him 10 bucks plus shipping. I just love medieval stuff, we've made soo many homemade medieval movies. I remember last march, a bunch of the guys got together, now he isn't the brightest, he's a great guitar player, but for anything else he's VERY slow. So they were doin a quick FOTR movie. Well, he played the Balrog, so when Gandalf chanenges him, (if you turn up the volume) you hear him say "Jeremy, what's my line?"
"Roar"
"oh, ok, Roar!!!"

Anyway, that's got something to do with the movie I'm making currently (check the Other Tolkien Productions - New Hobbit movie -

So there you go, I'm crazy about anything medieval, anyone else?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Awesomeness!
I found the store my cousin got his sword from: Clickityclickclick

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnkell
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3864

posted      Profile for Arnkell   Email Arnkell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most decorated swords are made from bad metal that makes the blade too heavy and unbalanced, and the tang going through the handle is weak, making the blade a potential projectile-weapon if swung.

I'd be plenty careful if I were you, guys.

Also, many "authentic" old eBay-swords are just new, crappy knockoffs bathed in salt-water for a chosen amount of time.

From: Sueonia, Land of strife | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. You guys rock. I love midieval stuff. Do you guys know about the SCA(aka society for creative anachronism)? I don't know if you guys live in the "Known World" but if you do, You'll love it. We choose a persona from between 600 and 1600 and go to events and become that person. It's real cool. Here's the link: The Society for Creative Anachronism

I'm getting a sword. I don't know if I can find what I want cheap though. But if you can find what you want, go for it. just make sure you check everything out and are careful about what you buy.

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all decorative blades, and thus very cheap and poorly crafted. Any sword or dagger blade made of stainless steel is practically worthless except as a cheap wall decoration. Don't go trying to play with those things...like Arknell said, they might come apart and hurt somebody.
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Well, it's not like I have anyone to play with, so it'll be for my personal pleasure. But thanks a lot for the precautions. I had no idea.
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

Although I wish I could claim knowledge of good sword materials, I actually have little knowledge in sword making. I am fairly skilled with a blade, for one who hasn't taken lessons, although I find myself better at archery. Can anyone tell me what a quality sword would be made from?

P.S. I think Saumari swords are wimpy, not many people want one, you can buy dozens off eBay for less than 3 dollars each!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Shieldmaiden of the Shire
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3965
posted      Profile for Shieldmaiden of the Shire   Author's Homepage   Email Shieldmaiden of the Shire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You lucky lucky people....I think I'll just go steal one of your swords! The closest I ever came to buying an actual sword was Glamdring at the Renaissance Faire(it's kinda self-explanitary) that someone had made....but you should've seen the price!! So I ended up making my own out of wood...*blushes* it's the best I could do with a roll of duct tape! Next goal....bow and arrows!!
From: Wales! Liechtenstein! Anywhere but here. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
www.vikingsword.com

www.living-history.no/Midgaard%20Mercentile/indexmm.html

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

I've got 2 bows, a medium one and a large one. And I would like to buy a LOTR sword, but they cost about 4 or 5 hundred dollars!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
www.swordforum.com
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dianthelle Queen of Spies
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2566

posted      Profile for Dianthelle Queen of Spies   Author's Homepage   Email Dianthelle Queen of Spies   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heeheehee, I have a rusty ol' sword from the Civil War. I also have a crossbow, and an axe. Lol, I'm thinking about posing in my medieval princess dress with the sword, and taking pictures for MT.

...Um, I like to write fantasy. I have a whole fantasy trilogy i've been working on for about two years now. I've ven drawn maps and made seals, yes I know I have no life...

From: Elsinore | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

That's cool. I'm starting to put together a fantasy book as well, although it's still "up here" not on paper yet. I've got a friend who's been working on a book of her's for a few years. It's about a girl named Austra, but as far as I know, there aren't any orcs or dragons in it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2566

posted      Profile for Dianthelle Queen of Spies   Author's Homepage   Email Dianthelle Queen of Spies   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I know EXACTLY what you mean by 'up here'. Half my trilogy is in my head...sheesh, I did calculations the other day and approximitely 68% of my characters die. Sad, isn't it...? [] []
From: Elsinore | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

68%? That's crazy! But are they mostly good guys or bad guys?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to have sad endings. there are too many writers, and readers, out there who think the only good story is one with a happy go lucky ending. [] Though I must say, some of the good characters need to live, at least one or two...
From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good news! I'd like to share a site with you weapon enthusiasts...they sell highly affordable high-carbon blades...in layman's terms, good steel. Some of their swords are stainless and just for display...however, they have good, functional swords for under 50 dollars...

budk knives

[ 10-15-2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Talan ]

From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

*GASP* I LOVE YOU!!!
Moriaking
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3132
posted      Profile for Moriaking   Email Moriaking   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hello. i saw you were talking about swords. can i post?
From: sidney the desert wasteland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

Sure, of course you can post! I'm weird, I find myself wanting the bad guys winning alot! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2566

Bad AND Good, semi bad semi good, wow I have problems. Heeheehee. *Embraces Talan* You are my idol!!!!!!
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you bought from museumreplicas.com? They have great battle-ready swords, knives, armour, etc. Sometimes it's pricey, but you can also get great stuff on sale. They're a subsidiary company of Atlanta Cutlery, which also makes great weapons.

I bought my first sword from the Noble Collection--big mistake. No balance, and good for nothing but to hang on the wall. If you're doing the RingWar and just need a weapon for looks, it doesn't matter. But, I think it's just too cool to have a beautiful, balanced weapon. Some are works of art. I have 2 katanas and a tanto, a bastard sword, a quarter staff, and a baseball bat that my husband insists on placing next to my weapons:)

I've always loved medieval history. In fact, I love it so much that I got my degree in medieval english history--a subject of amusement to my friends who asked continually, "now what are you going to do with that?"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
... and while Angband was beseiged and its doors shut there were green things even among the pits and broken rocks before the doors of hell.

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

What are you guy's favorite medieval movies? I got to many to name. I also love Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Anyone else?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Movies, Swords, all thing Medieval!!! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help