Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Any Call of Cthulhu RPG players around?
Author Topic: Any Call of Cthulhu RPG players around?
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for people interested in the Mythos universe...

Check out my site for more info!

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tevesh Szat
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1812

posted      Profile for Tevesh Szat   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
2nd Ed D&D > *

* < Conrad

From: Infantry's Village Idiot | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I GM cthulu at con's. I usually don't bother much with the rules though.
From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cthulhu? Wasn't that a bloodthirsty religion in DnD?
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mybe it was, but that is not all
From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, Cthulhu is the creation of one of my favorite authors: Howard Phillip Lovecraft (see my sig!)... He's a Great Old One, an Evil "God"...

You can read the story here if you want to know more...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
how do you pronounce
quote:

it?
From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

[] "Kuh-THOO-loo" is the generally accepted pronounciation VV
Steve
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3215
posted      Profile for Steve   Email Steve   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I play Cthullu.

I think its a fantasic game, high role play - low combat.
Always kept very tense.

I always end up with reams of notes while I am playing though which can be a pain at times.

Some of my friends run a live action version in a hotel on an island. There is nothing else on the island and it gets cut off at high tide, apparently the games are awesome.

[ 07-08-2003, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Steve ]

From: Basingstoke | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I played the old version, but haven't tried the d20 one yet. Any good?
From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

MUR [] I hate D20!

I'll always stick to the old BRP system! []

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

FYI, Pagan Publishing will soon release the re-edition of 'Delta Green' in hard cover with D20 stats added.

For those who don't have a clue about what DG is:

Delta Green is a modern day campaign setting for Call of Cthulhu.
First of all, it explains how and why these disparate CoC parties come together. It gives them motivation and an avenue for adventures other than either stumbling over the Mythos or a "friend of a friend is in trouble." It lays out what the Mythos have been up to since the "golden days" of the 30s. Enemies and potential allies are laid out with plenty of adventure hooks. The US government's knowledge and reaction to the Mythos forms a large part of this section. The book is rounded out with a number of well written adventures that really give one a feel for the setting.
If you're looking for a mythos setting for the 90s with an X-File-ish feel you can't go wrong in my opinion.

"Countdown," the larger sequel to the main book, has a lot of varied articles mainly dealing with the world outside of the US government. It's excellent too!

Both are out of print but can be found on eBay or Amazon if you look hard enough.

DG is one of the most usefull game supplements I've ever purchased. It allowed me to run almost two and half years of mostly weekly games.

[ 03-17-2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

Steve
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3215
posted      Profile for Steve   Email Steve   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have just returned from playing Live Action Call of Cthulhu. It is set on an island that is cut off at high tide, 24 hour time in and everything was there IC.

It was so absorbing at one point, in a ritual that was going slightly wrong, I was so scared I was actually crying! One guy started throwing up at one point and another man had to stop playing for a while because it was getting to him too much.

An utterly fantastic weekend, if anyone is based in the UK and France and wants to try it drop me a PM and I will put you in touch with the organisers.

From: Basingstoke | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hidalgo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1083
posted      Profile for Hidalgo   Edit/Delete Post 
I should have noticed this a long time before, but late is better than never.
I've been a Call of Cthulhu roleplayer for many years.
I prefer to play in the 20's (my favourite character was an English diletant that survived from 1917 to 1938!).
And btw, Cthulhu is an aproximate translation to human alfabets of an alien name that cannot be pronounced by human beings, so you can prononce it as you prefer.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am unworthy to remain a citizen of MT, so pay no heed to my words.

In Deo Spes Mea.

From: Madrid - Spain | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

For info, my Delta Green Sourcebook is now for sell on eBay (Here)... This auction ends on Apr 26.

Info:
  • Starting Price: $40
  • Ship worlwide

Good Luck!

Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the Keeper for a CoC campaign with my wife and a few friends. I use the edition of CoC that came out prior to the D20 version. I've heard such bad things about the D20 version that I won't make the switch.

I'm a fan of Lovecraft's stories, and I try to make my campaigns true to his spirit. In the gaming convention module that I wrote and game mastered, the PC who managed to get himself killed... was the luckiest one of all.

Of course, I have to be a little more lenient with an ongoing campaign, since people like to have characters that survive from one adventure to the next. But that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun. I'll let you in on a secret for my next CoC campaign -- the PCs discover that they have died, and then the fun begins. []

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Any Call of Cthulhu RPG players around?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help