Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Proper fighting (re-enactment) (Page 6)
Author Topic: Proper fighting (re-enactment)
Elladar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5065
posted      Profile for Elladar   Author's Homepage   Email Elladar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Go to badgersden.com They have Latex foam weapons. Or were you looking for something like they used in th Lord of the Rings stunt weaponry, which is more like the rubber they use on skateboard wheels actually, it IS the rubber they use on skateboard wheels. If that is the case, I will not be able to help you.

-Elladar
(General of Idnuo. For A history of Idnuo, some maps, and maybe even a bit on Elladar, please email me at hmelville@teeharbor.com Tee Harbor is part of Juneau, Alaska. Or Alternately, it is part of Tol Falas, The island of shores (or something like that))

From: Juneau, Alaska (It's part of Tol Falas) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new sword today. It's a 39.75 inch Samurai Katana with a decorated scabbard. Great sword, and I got it off eBay for only $7.53 Canadian! Gotta love eBay!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Incanus
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5034
posted      Profile for Incanus   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a 26 inch wakizashi off ebay for $5.75. I agree with Sam, ebay is the greatest.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I aistan ilfirinion

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
During the last week, I've started training fighting again with my old partner in crime. It's been very much a good time, and while I've had a break, I'm back in the fighting game. What's new is that his father had a good, long, solid shaft for my spearhead. Some friends were interested, so we're showing them the basics. Yesterday was spent making more wooden swords, as they certainly are 'wasters'. We fight with wood with the new guys, while sometimes when the two of us fight, we use metal.
My goal is to get back to my level, and I'm gonna buy some more pieces of equipment. Now I've a short seax, a long spear, a round shield and a helmet (don't use the helmet, though). I'll get me a sword and perhaps a byrnie shirt. I'm gonna make at least five shields for myself and the others.
I'm not currently a member of a viking society of any sort, it's just some friends getting together and quoting battle poetry from Snorri's Heimskringla, often followed by some inspired dying. []

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired dying can be as fun--and please the "crowd" as well as--inspired killing. []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We went to a medieval tournament last week. The bad guys were the best - acted their roles so well! We loved them!

Of course, being the baddies, they had to die at the end, but they went down fighting, and died with such style. []

I just love watching these things!

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love watching battles and I love being in them, though it's been a while since I was in a battle. Now we're just 4-5 people at most, and that's not often.
Anyway, returning to the topic of proper battles; fighting to please the crowd is fun, but more realistic fighting is even more fun. However when you have some great personalities among the warriors, the staged battles are entertaining enough to make you pay more attention to what they're on about than the actual fighting. []

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I'm really on a re-enactment roll these days.

I've bought linen for two trousers, two tunics and a hood. And I'm making another shield, as well as having bought an axe, two swords and two helmets. True, one sword and one helmet were bought for another fellow, but they've passed through my hands.
In addition, it turns out my father can make axeheads that are of the same quality as the ones you buy, so he'll supply me with as many axes I'll ever need. []

It's my plan to make a little film. A viking film of the non-epic kind, revenge being a main theme. The plot is about as easy as you can make it: I fight a man. He hits me in the hand, disabling me. He steals my silver coins and leaves me to die.
I eventually recover and go on a long journey through woods, over hills, across the country until I reach his lands. He's got a couple of men with him. We fight, I kill the men. Then, the duel is resumed. Yes, I kill him.

My concern is that I have to finish my clothes before I can film anything, and I only have 3-4 days. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I'll drink to that.

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sewing is definitely an issue for me. I'm not very good at it, and I don't enjoy it much, but sometimes it's the only way to get a piece of clothing that you want. I definitely need more practice.

Hope you finish your new clothing in time! I'm currently working on a new tunic for a weekend event on Oct. 8, so I feel your pain. []

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Today I've been working on a baggy pair of orange/light brown trousers. They're almost done, but they're also very simple. Most of the work is done by machine, though. I'm afraid I'm not doing everything 100% historically accurate, but then again my weapons aren't made using the old techniques either. My philosophy is that if it isn't visible, it won't hurt anybody.
Tomorrow's big task is to start work on a green tunic with some inserted triangles on the sides and probably in the front and back as well. I'll be very happy when my clothes are done and I can go back to making shields and shafts for weapons. []

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Hm...you'll have to post a pic of the green tunic. I'm curious what shade of green, as I have a sort of leaf-green tunic (with front/back and side gores). I plan on eventually trimming it with strips of silk (haven't decided which color yet), so it will be a tunic for portraying a high-ranking viking. []
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
It's a dark green (some might say too green, bright colours weren't common for your average fellow), which looks good with the orange trousers.
I'm gonna make another tunic + pants with a light blue tunic and regular grey trousers, both linen.
I have one wool tunic already, and a pair of wool trousers, both both share the problem that they're too short. This time I'm making my clothes larger in all directions to make any later alterations easy.

Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you re-enactors in the States would like this i went and saw one it was quite fantastic
Roman stuff

From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

I've fought in boffer groups before, and still do occasionally.

Never met these particular Roman guys face-to-face, but there are some Roman groups here on the West Coast. Some are impressive, others not so much.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In a few weeks They will be re-enacting the battle of Agincourt and i will be an English archer. I hope to take lots of Pictures because I have a new digital camera but I dont quite know how to work it yet technology these days.
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

My local living history/reenactment group has just put up a website. Actually, I'm the one who put it together. Take a look and let me know what you think. I welcome suggestions for improvement, since it's been over five years since I last created a website. []

http://www.westmearc.org

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
Looks pretty cool. []
Do you guys ever come to the east coast?

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

We don't, but other members of Regia Anglorum live over there. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
Ohh ok, Thanks
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Lovely stuff! Hopefully we'll get to see some bloody battles in the gallery section soon. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I'll drink to that.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
Yeah I would love to see them, just tell me when you updated them.
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone looking forward to new weapons - ahem, tools - this year?

I'm staring at a long box right now, but I've got to wait to open it...sword of auray, a maintz pattern gladius? Who knows?

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish a Landsknecht burgonet during this Christmas vacation.

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I'll see if I can't make me some more shields, of the round type and the later kite type.

Also, a broad-axe and some more spears is a bit of a priority (the axe I can get for free, so naturally I'm very excited about that).

I've been pondering whether to make a byrnie or not. As I like to fight with little or no armour (apart from gloves), I have to think about how often I would use it, and how much effort to put into it. Maybe I'll just make a small one out of aluminium first, just to try it out. Then I can continue with the real thing. I can still use the aluminium one as a prop.

Through the university bookshop, I've got hold of a book from the 20's called "De norske vikingesverd" (the norwegian viking swords) by Jan Petersen. It also has chapters on axeheads and spearheads, and is reckoned to be one of the major works on early medieval weaponry. I already had Evart Oakeshott's "Medieval swords", but as my main period of interest is (roughly) 500 - 1100, this book fits better for me. It really gives me a lot of insight into the typology of weapons and their periods of usage.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
A couple of friends and I are going to start a re-enactment group over here on the East Coast. It's still up in the air, but i'll try to let you know.
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Imbëar> No re-enactment goods for Christmas this year. I expected as much, though, as my wife isn't into the hobby and generally doesn't know what will and will not pass the authenticity standards we use. She also likes to see me occasionally get excited about something that's not made of steel, leather, or wool. []

Kjartan> Petersen's book is a great resource. His typologies of swords, axes, and spears should be required references for any Viking Age reenactor.

Joe> The first thing your group should determine is what you want to reenact. Figure out a time/place/culture that interests you as a starting point. And keep in mind that there mahy be an existing reenactment group in your state or region that portrays the time/place/culture you are interested in, which makes getting started a great deal easier.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Proper fighting (re-enactment) (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help