Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Proper fighting (re-enactment) (Page 4)
Author Topic: Proper fighting (re-enactment)
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And aren't they something? More action-based pics will appear some day. []
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody heard about Stav? It's a supposed secret martial art/lifestyle thingy which supposedly has been taught in one family in Norway throughout the times, and it's all based on the runes. Runes are stances. I think it's a hoax, but is there anybody who has more info about it?
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across a Stav website once. Seemed hokey to me, too.

BTW, quick question for you-I have been looking to find somebody, anywhere, who sells socks made by naalbinding. Have you ever found these for sale anywhere?

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I haven't heard about it before, but I know a swedish girl who's an expert on textiles and viking clothes. Here's the adress for their shop: http://www.living-history.no/Midgaard%20Mercentile/indexmm.html

Just send a mail to them, I'm sure they can help you out. They make a lot of stuff there, even if it's not all on the internet yet, as they've been quite busy lately. But don't hesitate to ask!

Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If Holly and I ever visit you we should fight! []
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Oh dear! I'd better get training if I'm supposed to have a chance!! []
Celebranthir
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3276
posted      Profile for Celebranthir   Email Celebranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
kjartan you know you will die a blooooody death under my axe anyway...... no point in training, hahahahahaha!!!!!!!
From: Norway | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Ha! You old bent drunk! The journey is too long for you! []

Besides, just let me find a shaft, and we'll see... []

Your axe will be hooked, as your back is crooked! (I know, it doesn't really rhyme..)

You never train, but I.... don't really train either.. []

However; write your final will and say your goodbyes...

By Crom! You will die a horrible death!

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Anybody know a site where I can find detailed information about dark age/viking age/early medieval swords? I'm looking for measures, material, designs etc.
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I have questions about swords, I go to one of these sites. I don't always find exactly what I need, but it's a good place to start to find names of books or articles that are useful:

http://www.netsword.com/
http://www.swordforum.com/

Hope that helps!

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Thanks!
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eoric,
I didn't know you were a part of Regia. They are, as you say, an excellent living history organization.

I imagine you visit the Armour Archive, as well?

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

I joined Regia last year, and we're in the process of applying for a land grant for Oregon. Oh, and I am on the Armour Archive, though there I go by my 14th century Swiss/German name: Albrecht von Arnsperg.

And IIRC, you frequent the site as "Ideval" or something similar...? []

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I'm gonna expand my arsenal (and footwear):

-

-

-

[ 12-03-2003, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Kjartan Fløgelfrikk ]

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Nice! Who made/makes those items? I'm always keeping my eye open for suppliers of good LH gear.
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Half an hour by car away from me!

They're from all over Europe, but have their base in southern Norway. The stuff they make is amazing! If there's anything you want replicated, I'm sure they can give it a go.

Btw, their stuff is 10% cheaper this december, hence my shopping. I would have bought it there anyway, but this is as good a time as any.

[ 12-03-2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Kjartan Fløgelfrikk ]

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I've got the helmet now, sword to follow in march sometime.

I intend to really do a lot to look a bit more correct for this summer; my equipment was never very accurate, nor plentiful.

I will get shoes and pants, perhaps a new tunic and some ornamentation. I already have a tunic, but it's too small, I feel. My cloak, on the other hand, fit me well.

On the warfare side of things, my equipment will be such: sword, shield, spear, scramaseax, helmet, leather armguards and perhaps some more leather armour. If it's cheap, I might get an axe as well.

Pictures to follow.

Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Cool--I look forward to seeing the photos of your new gear. []

I've just ordered a set of wool, single-leg hose from a medieval tailor. I've always just used the typical drawstring trousers, so this will be a new experience for me. I have a hunch that I will feel a little...um...exposed...in them at first.

[ 01-26-2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Éoric of the Riddermark ]

Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kjartan,
that's some good looking gear.

Kjartan and Eoric;
I'm sewing a quilted lining to a chin-strap that I just cut out (this weekend) and installed in my Lonely Mountain Noldorin helm.

I've also been playing with a Museum Replicas German Falchion.

I still need to sew up a close-fitting hooded mantle to wear under my coif and helmet.
And I still need to make a belt-frog for my falchion.

Imbëar

[ 01-27-2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Imbëar ]

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Ooh...I've seen that falchion offered by MR. Do you feel that it's worth the price? Care to post a review for me? []
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
As the sword was a gift, I'd say it was definately worth the price.

At $165, this is a good buy.
Of course the sword comes with a leather scabbard with metal chape and throat. It was a tacky shiny black, which I stripped with laquer thinner and then re-colored, distressed, and oiled.

The sword is 34 inches, and weighs 3 pounds.
It is heavy in the hand and clearly meant for chopping.
The hilt furniture is also impressive. The wheel pommel has excellent mass and the slightly curved crossguard is thick to stop any standard blow.

The handle was very tacky and too small for a hand. Also, it was plastic wrapped wood instead of leather. So, I rewrapped the handle with leather cord, and then glued and wrapped the cord with a high quality leather sleeve. I sewed the sleeve tightly, wetted the leather, and set it by the hearth to dry overnight. In the morning, the sleeve was taut around the handle.

I always put in a considerable amount of tailoring to any weapon or armour I receive. After all, I couldn't walk around with a "stock" sword from Museum Replicas.

My arm is already accustomed to the weight of the falchion, but I haven't done extensive cutting tests yet. I'm also working on a fighting style for falchion and buckler.

Any other questions I could answer?

Imbëar

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
What's the period/setting you specialize in?
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
I'm not much of a history buff.
Most of my harness is meant as a Middle Earth outfit, specifically devoid of nationalistic markings - or as close as I can get.

But, when I wish to portary an historic soldier, my favorite period is 15th/16th century Iberia (pretty broad time span, I know). The look of brigandine with full plate arms and legs, kettle helm with bevor, round steel shield, and cleaver is unrivaled in my opinion. In addition, I identify most closely with the Portuguese blood in my veins - albeit Azorean.

Imbëar

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Those kettle helms were quite popular - they've found many of them in Norway, so there must be some reason so many people all over Europe used them.
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
I know how the kids love pictures these days, so I put this example into a yahoo album.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/manreason/detail?.dir=/b4f8&.dnm=5e15.jpg

(Edit: picture doesn't seem to work)
(Edit#2: picture does work!)

This is a Spanish armour, and one of my favorites. I am currently waiting for a reproduction of this helmet to be completed (I have been waiting several years). Despite the lack of close-up (I had a close-up file that somehow corrupted), you can see that this helmet is not a round-top or a conical-top, nor does it have the full "comb" of the later Morion. It's certainly not unique, but I've never seen one in California. I like this helmet's low-comb, deep bowl, and steep brim....it's sure to sit well atop this Elf-Lord's head []

Imbëar

[ 01-28-2004, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Imbëar ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Proper fighting (re-enactment) (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help