Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Proper fighting (re-enactment) (Page 3)
Author Topic: Proper fighting (re-enactment)
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I sure agree, but yes, I meant as in personal weapons and equipment.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
THose little navigation devices, the wheel thingies. Oh, and sealskin ropes.
The beardaxe was pretty neat, and the frakka is cool, although they may not have been the most efficient ranged weapons in the history of mankind...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
How many nuns would a nun chuck chuck if a nun chuck could chuck nuns?

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Like the axes, big and small, but they're not for me, I'm more of a spear and dagger kinda guy. Sword and shield is OK, but sort of 'standard'.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hate shields.
I realize their use and all that, I just can't stand them.

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I enjoy trying new combinations, mostly without the shield, as I get better at defending myself. I'm not really good with a shield anyway.
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good case could be made for saying the Dane-axe was the ultimate viking equipment. I've never heard of any other viking war-gear that struck fear into its enemies the way the Dane-axe did. []
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I'll toast to that!
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

I kind of like bows, but I guess those weren't all that big among the norse eh?
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Norse used bows and arrows extensively. The sagas tell of arrows raining down on armies prior to battles, and some weapons experts believe the Norse bow was the most direct ancestor of the famed "English" longbow.
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Yep, vikings used bows. In Olav Tryggvasons last battle, one of his men, a renowned archer and warrior in general, Einar Tambarskjelve used a bow in close combat in a marine fight. (they tied the ships together). Anyway, His bow broke, and the king said:"What burst so loudly?" The reply was:"Norway out of your hands, sire!". But the king gave him his bow. Einar broke the bow, and said:"Too weak, too weak, is the king's bow!" Olav lost. But quite a story!
Morwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1625

posted      Profile for Morwen   Email Morwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a bit off-topic, and many the subject have been dicussed somewhere else in here, but since you are all into vikings and sagas I got to ask if there´s any norse pagans ( or asatro, don´t knos the English word) in here?
I asatro myself but unfortunately I can´t speak icelandic or older norrøn languages, and I´m not familiar with weapons (blame on my gender or something), I just wanted the hear if any of you scandinavian, swordfighting guys where pagan too.
Sounds like a cool hobby though...I really like swords, even though I totally lack skills with them. Maybe because it´s so much better, if you have to kill someone, to do it the old fashion, somewhat honourable way, than pushing a trigger on a gun. I really hate guns you know.

From: Denmark | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I'm not of the åsatro, but I know quite a lot about the norse mythology. Very fascinating subject!
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

Well yeah, they used bows, of course.
However, a bow is a difficult weapon to master, and archer weren't as common as in, say, the bysantine armies...
Whatever, I withdraw my "not so big" statement.

I have read the account of the battle of svolder, brilliant stuff. I especially like the part where he says "Well, they're just swedes, we won't have to worry much about them"

And Morwen, I pride myself on being an agnostic, though I do know a thing or two about worship of the Aesir.

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I like the way Norwegians though of the Swedes and Danes, and other peoples for that matter; not because they put them down, but because even back then they saw themselves as separate nations and separate peoples. The sagas feel very modern in the way they are written.
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

Well, they were a separate nation back then, and the first of the scandinavian nations to unite.
Sweden was actually three separate regions back then, with no real conection.
Heck, a thousand years ago, I wouldn't be a swede, I'd be geat.

Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
I'd be an egd, i.e. from Agder.. Not the most active region in those days, but still..
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

Admittedly, I don't even know where that is, but I'll go look it up
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
South of Norway, "Sørlandet".
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Hey, any of you re-enactors got a tip about what type of wood I should use for my spear? I hear ash is best?
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what I am doing in here, but I have a friend who is a bowyer - proper old-fashioned longbows. He leans to ash and yew for strength and suppleness, if that's any help.
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

Ash is what we use, and it seems to be the most common wood used for spear-shafts back then.

SSA, I've heard the same thing, though I've read that in the British Isles, elm was superior to yew for bow-making and the use of elm is documented in period records there. Yew bows were more common in Scandinavia, as the best yew for bows came from Scandinavia (as well as Spain and Austria).

Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm no expert - just saw it on active topics. []

But I do know, from history, that most church yards contain yew trees, not for any obscure religious reason, but for making weapons in the days when "military training" was compulsory. Middle Ages? Later? Sorry - my history stops at the 16C. []

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow....I do believe this will be my first post in the forum....at least that I remember.

I guess there are a couple of re-enactment groups in Cali. My mom took me to a couple of smaller ones when I was little. From what I remember it was quite fun to watch them. []

Jar, do you have any pics of you fighting?

From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
Not at the moment, but I'll see what I can do. I know pictures exist []
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now we do have some! here
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Proper fighting (re-enactment) (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help