Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » D&D vs. AD&D vs. D&D 3rd edition (Page 1)
Author Topic: D&D vs. AD&D vs. D&D 3rd edition
Roukan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1745

posted      Profile for Roukan   Author's Homepage   Email Roukan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The topic is pretty self explained. So which one is better.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"That's entertainment!"
-Vald, the Impaler

From: Somewheres special Yo! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Roukan!

I guess you'd have to put 2ND Edition to your list. As an old guy, I tend to prefer 1st Edition AD&D. I am playing 3E a lot these days, and it has some very good points to it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep Minas Tirith Clean

"My dignity...she is gone..."

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neff
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1673

posted      Profile for Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Neff   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of the AD&D games(Icewind Dale,Baldurs Gate etc.)My sh** a$$ computer won't let me play the new D&D games properly [] (I wanted to try Pool of Radiance so bad) Enough about my promblems...so yeah I'm all for AD&D.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We are shaped and changed by what we love.
-Goethe

From: I give up....Los Angeles | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roukan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1745

posted      Profile for Roukan   Author's Homepage   Email Roukan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more along the lines of the pen and paper type of system. But I do like to play the computer games as well.
But I think I perfer AD&D to the others.
More complex then 1st Ed and still has more of your own creative juice then 3rd ed

From: Somewheres special Yo! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1168

posted      Profile for Turambar   Author's Homepage   Email Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
All this talking about D&D makes me want to play! []
Anyone wants to be a DM? []

Turambar
--------

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knight of the Radiant Heart
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1720
posted      Profile for knight of the Radiant Heart   Email knight of the Radiant Heart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
D&D 3rd Edition, has new, better, accurate, simpler, logical rules from AD&D. I am a new DM and I like to play with the 3E. But AD&D is my first RPG system.

I also have an ambition, to become an e-DM. Any volunteers...?

From: Greece | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roukan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1745

The idea behind being an e-DM sounds good, but to tell you the truth there are so many problems with running an RPG over the web for an extended period of time that it makes me shutter.
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I quite like the 1st edition od AD&D but im curently making a campaign using 2nd edition rules with some players option stuff. If anyone lives near guildford or is willing to travel to it to play they are welcome to join in!
From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knight of the Radiant Heart
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1720
posted      Profile for knight of the Radiant Heart   Email knight of the Radiant Heart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Roukan, I think it again and I relise that to be a DM is a difficult task. To be a e-DM is more.
From: Greece | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there is something out there called WebRPG. It's like a chatroom with functions for dice rolling and stuff. Check it out.
From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cellscells
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1373

posted      Profile for Cellscells   Email Cellscells   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Advanced DND is better, especially for beginners who don't really understand all of the dice rolls and stuff...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Blacker than the ace of rapes, dealt out by death in dark wood glades: our ship of fools, all boards hand made, sinks, dashed by seismic waves.

Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1168

posted      Profile for Turambar   Author's Homepage   Email Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have an URL to that site, Mad Uncle Rupert?
Why don't you post the link here?

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grundin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1442
posted      Profile for Grundin   Email Grundin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the third edition the best, but the damage system for AD&D is better...then again, I like the critical hits. AD&D has a better feel to it...more nerdy-cool like.
From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

Hehehe... 'nerdy-cool'

Okie-dokie. Here's the link:

WebRPG

Unfortunately it's pay now, but if you plan on doing it, it's worth it.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
D&D ... I guess I'm just too old-school. I liked making our own and we had a great Middle Earth D& D going for several years. I just found the books and figurines in dad's attic! Our fellowship is still camped in the wooded knoll...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silvanis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4926
posted      Profile for Silvanis   Email Silvanis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"I like a lot of the AD&D games(Icewind Dale,Baldurs Gate etc.)"

(Icewind Dale2 sh** yes) AD&D all the way

i play the pen and paper in my sunday school

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Im not crazy because i take the right pills"

whats the officer, problem

From: i dont know IM LOST!!! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's what I don't like about all the AD&D stuff. 2nd edition Rules vs. 3rd edition rules.

Rules? We didn't need no stinking rules! General guidelines and move on, the only rules are in the DM's mind. The big books just restrict your imagination.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the "Always Roll High" concept of 3rd edition. It's a lot less confusing. []

I don't like that they charge you thirty bucks for the book and then turn around and put out 3.5 and want another $30.00. I refuse to buy it. There is a limit to how many Player's Handbooks I want to pay for. []

Oh well, as Marcho says, they are really more "guidelines" anyway []

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rules? We didn't need no stinking rules! General guidelines and move on, the only rules are in the DM's mind. The big books just restrict your imagination.

I agree. The DM makes the game in my opinion. The addition of detail I thought ruined it. And yes, its a business so they want to keep selling updates and new revisions. My old TSR books are fine thank you very much.

I have taken on reviewing our old game and writing it up into a Middle Earth story! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Finarfins Esquire
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5112
posted      Profile for Finarfins Esquire   Email Finarfins Esquire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can always use the rule-books for guidelines only if you like to play with DM as the only authority, but you got to have very serious DM for him to not mess it up somewhere along the way... i say 3rd edition definetly
From: Jutland, Denmark | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

He was pretty good.

So why Third Edition?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A DM mess up? How can he mess up? It is his world, his rules, his choice. He can't mess up!

The DM may not do what you like, but you can't say he is wrong!

I ran one campaign where everytime someone said a swear word, their character took a hit of damage. Took them over an hour to figure it out!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Marcho Blackwood, MSS - #16 Brookshade Close - Bindbale, North Farthing, The Shire
1st Winner Mahanaxar's Boy Howdy of Approval with 2 Bronze Stars (3rd Award) & Balrog Cluster with Laurel.
King of Grammar with Queen SSA
Sass this hoopy hobbit frood who really knows where his towel is!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Thats what I'm talking about! Marcho hits it straight!

My brother was talking about our D&D days last night, and he reminded me that the guy who was DM had a "religious conversion" and thought D&D was satanic. He wnated to get all the stuff and destroy it, but my little bro stashed it in his closet and told him he threw it all away. The box it was stashed in never got unpacked until I found it cleaning out the attic at the folks.

Now I took a look at the latest and its not something I'd want to do.

And noiw I hear they're developing a D&D MMORPG

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Finarfins Esquire
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5112
posted      Profile for Finarfins Esquire   Email Finarfins Esquire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I´d say a DM is messing up a game when he looses touch with the role-playing and just do what he wants (or find amusing) In my opinion it isn´t the DMs world, he is simply the caretaker of the storytelling part... he/she can´t just make up something completely ridiculous in relation to the game you're playing (like making a player take damage for swearing in real-life)...

if you haven´t played a game of d&d where you felt the DM was messing up, consider yourself a lucky potato []

[ 03-24-2005, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Finarfins Esquire ]

From: Jutland, Denmark | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I guess thats a matter of opinion eh? Fortunatly, the DM always kept a good pulse and didn't do anything stupidly rash. Now, you add rules so many it just becomes another boring game.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » D&D vs. AD&D vs. D&D 3rd edition (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help