Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Tolkien meets 3rd Edition D&D... Need Opinions
Author Topic: Tolkien meets 3rd Edition D&D... Need Opinions
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, in November I will be running a game of 3rd edition D&D at our local gaming store.

Now, to prepare I've been working on a website for our game. Keep in mind that it's not finished.

It's best viewed in Internet Explorer at a resolution of 1024x768, unless you have a 19" monitor in which cas eit'll look fine at any res.

http://www.geocities.com/tensen_vil

Let me know what you think of it so far.
Thanks

{I fixed your image display. - WGW}

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link to Minas Tirith on your site!

Your design needs some work though. I appreciate the effort, but you asked for opinions and advice and boy you're gonna get them!

When you choose a background image with many different types of colors (lights, darks, mid-tones) it becomes difficult to choose a color for the foreground text that is always easy to read. You'll never find the right color for your text. You'll need to change the background. I know you're in love with it, but let's just call it a one-night stand.

You might want to change your window size of your browser to simulate different resolutions to see how it will look for people who like to stick to 800x600. Most people can manage this resolution and until we all have 21" monitors and bionic-perfect vision, you should consider it the standard. It's not like the graphics displayed on your site cannot be contained in 800x600! The rule goes: If there's no reason to demand high resolution, then don't demand it. I mention this because your top frame doesn't quite fit across my screen and looks awful. Find a better way to organize it or remove some of them(see further down).

Your Maps of Arda page needs some work. The left and right-aligned images must look even worse at high res! Why not display the images in horizontal rows? It will be worth the effort.

On your 'About This Site' page, you need a smaller font so you can fit more on a page. Then you can add to your thoughts and give us what you said you would - more about this site. You talk about Middle Earth and D&D, but what about the site?? What is the purpose or goal?

Lastly, I have a pet peeve of mine. I hate menu buttons that open my mail program. I can't tell you how many times I have been happily clicking across a line of buttons while checking out a site, when my Outlook pops open. On my slow machine at work, this REALLY pisses me off! There are better ways to post your e-mail address. Make a contact page, put a link below all your page banners, put it on your 'The DM' page. There are many better options.

Other than that, it looks like a fine effort. My main question is how you will incorporate gameplay with the website? If it's just a meeting place, you need some chat method besides posting everyone's e-mail. Otherwise, why will they come to the site? If you have grander plans for the site's use, I'd like to hear them.

Again, not bad. Didn't mean to seem like I was busting yer balls. Keep up the good work!

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... You make some good points. Thank you. There were a few things I intended doing(like the e-mail thing) I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

It won't have their e-mail addresses unless they wish for them to be their. I intend to basically interview my players and get info and stuff.

As for the point and the "about this site" page, as I said, it is a work-in-progress and will not even be close to finished until the game in November. And I'm going to put more on the "about" page.

I didn't like the maps either. I'm thinking about putting them in a table.

Now, to the background. Until I find something better it's not going anywhere.

Okay, now, plans for the site's use. No, no on-line, though I do plan on having a message board and such. But It's going to be a site where people can get ideas, where you can see that D&D doesn't have to get stuck in the same world with the same old routine. I want to give people ideas, because, let's face it, RPGs have become cliche, I don't care what edition it is. And when you go to a different world you break up that monotony, players and DMs have to realize that people act different, adventure isn't always sought out, and heros are sometimes made from the lowliest person, thrust into a difficult situation against their will. I think it important to try something new, but even more important to incorporate into it some thing familiar so you don't get scared off.

My message board is going to be a place where people can give there ideas, and maybe get help with something that they're stuck on. An exchange of thoughts. I know that it can take me weeks to come up with what I think is an original idea, just to find that it's been done to death when you share it. I want people to be able help each other when ideas get in low supply.

Okay, enough ranting...

------------------
"Here's to you, as good as you are. And here's to me, as bad as I am. As good as you are, and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, as bad as I am."

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Eight Years On...*

I wonder if this D&D game is still going? I do like the chainmail background!

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Tolkien meets 3rd Edition D&D... Need Opinions
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help