Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Role-playing is itself a fantasy (Page 3)
Author Topic: Role-playing is itself a fantasy
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that sermon is talking about how Role Playing can interest people in magic, then they become warlocks or something so they can cast spells on people. It's the same people who think Role Playing is satanic who think that books like LotR and Harry Potter should be banned. I'm a Christian, and I love RPG's (esp. Final Fantasy), but I'm not going to become a witch and try to cast "Ultima" on people on the street.

quote:
...like any cult activity, adherents of the role-playing activity will attempt to woo you into their fold...
Eek! Depart from me, ye cursed Role-Players! Foul tempters! *holds up a cross and flings holy water around*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.
~*~*~*~*~*~
"When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain that the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation. [...] It's a lot easier to blame things than to fix them." --Calvin

From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Onyx
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2728

posted      Profile for Radagast the Onyx   Email Radagast the Onyx   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
VIII is the worst in my opinion. The story was lackluster, the battle system dumbed down, and love elements boring. The card game, however, was amazing.
From: Abilene, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's only two Video Game RPGs I ever enjoyed.

Fallout and Fallout 2

I guess GTA3 could also be considered an RPG hehehe. []

[ 01-09-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Tensen_Vil ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"'Kill!' shouted Ford. He shouted it at his towel.
The towel lept up out of Harl's hands.
This was not because it had any motive force of its own, but because Harl was so startled at the idea that it might."
--Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eudaimiel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3077
posted      Profile for Eudaimiel   Author's Homepage   Email Eudaimiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing since I was about 11 years old (Hehe, the memories, the memories... How much enjoyment we could get out of nothing back then [] .

I'm now bordering 25, and though I have recently come out of an active RP'ing (read: I still enjoyed RPG's, just didn't play much) hiatus that has lasted a few years, It's my opinion that RPG's is one of the best pass-time hobbies anyone can have, next to inventing a cure for cancer []

It's more fun that an all-night bender, better than wasting 2 hours on a Hollywood 'look-our-audience-is-stupid'-movie, and can teach you a lot about many things.

I have never actually GM'ed in Middle-Earth before, but I'm trying to find out if I'm up to the task or not. I'll be using D20 D&D though, not MERP.

Maybe I should just do a variation on ME. That is use some of the basic concepts and ideas but twist things in another direction, so as to not walk all over the sacred canon, which I am not entirely knowledgable about yet.

From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaldohilion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3076
posted      Profile for Astaldohilion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
All the final fantasies are great and of those VI was my favorite too, but hasn't anyone played Xenogears or even the Chrono saga for that matter.
From: Mirkwood | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah the lost(?) art of table-top RP! I do miss the marathon D&D game my brother and I had going in 1983-84. Somehow we spent full weekends doing it, and even some weeknights too. I doubt it will ever happen again.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 41 now. The times I spent playing table-top RPGs in high school and undergraduate college are some of the fondest, happiest, and most nostalgic times in my life. My life would have been far more boring, and less social, without them.
From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya Alatar. It was a big part of my high school social scene going to the local bookstore after they closed on Thursday nights for 'tournament night'. It was a sad day when they closed. If I add to the time playing DnD, the time spent playing table-top war games through the 70's & early 80's, it was massive! (Anyone remember Avalon Hill?) My brother still has some of those games, their boards and pieces stained with many a spill of beer and bongwater or burnt by falling embers. In the early '90s when computers were IBM 286s and they connected to the internet by a 2.4Kbps dial-up modem, I played a Battle of the Bulge game via email. We used particular stocks on a given day as die rolls. It was fun, but it wasn't the same as a face-to-face game. I really had fun trying to clear the streets of Stalingrad as the Germans in Squad Leader, or trying to stop the blitzkrieg through the Ardennes as the Americans in Battle of the Bulge. Now, you play Call of Duty or Medal of Honor or such, and though they can be fun, its just way too different.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Going to play D&D Friday, I think.

Into the fourth decade. WOW.

edit: It's not often I admit to being wrong, so pay attention. I play WOW religiously. I still don't think it's role-playing.

[ 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Mad Uncle Rupert ]

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how MUR's gaming session went?

I think that it would be fun to try and play again.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Yeah... Would like to play it again, but who has that sort of time anymore? I really need to win the lotto & retire.... []
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been into D&D myself, but, I've certainly loved role-playing in general. Keeps the stress level down.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
@ WGW: great quote in your first post!! Are you also anticipating the last two volumes of the Last Chronicles?

~ GBA.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I nearly finished the first volume, but I'm going to wait until they're all out before reading any more.

To me, the pacing seems screwed up and slow. I am feeling a bit manipulated into (buying and) reading 4 books instead of 3. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have such a long wait between volumes, hence my decision. I didn't want to be pissed off waiting for 2010 for volume 3 and then be pissed off waiting until 2013 for the last one. I'm not letting them in my brain until I can do it on my terms.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a bit screwed, indeed, to publish those four books each three years apart. Maybe your reading tactics are better than mine, 'cause till now, I found the first two of the Last Chronicles not as impressive as the former books, but perhaps that's caused by the fact that the tale has no ending, no closure yet. We'll have to wait till 2013 to give a final verdict *sigh* []

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

In about 2,5 week's time the third volume of the Last Chronicles is scheduled to be out in the shops. Being the sucker that I am, I'll probably buy and read it as soon as I find it []

~ Ear.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read this before, but didn't post to thank you for the update. How's that for better late than never?

As for the topic at hand...
Acquisitions Inc. Penny Arcade guys...? Wil Wheaton...? Maybe I'm not man enough to role-play like these guys. []

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How's that for better late than never?
For credit-card companies, late is better than on time []

[ 12-03-2010, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Role-playing is itself a fantasy (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help