Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Role-playing is itself a fantasy (Page 1)
Author Topic: Role-playing is itself a fantasy
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I never had the chance to enjoy any serious role-playing in my youth. There were always the obvious sad attempts, but I was either too young or never had a serious group to play with.

My whole idea of role-playing as it should be is probably a fantasy itself. Friends who all care the same amount about playing. Everyone giving a fair amount of effort to add to the experience.

Having people who will commit the time and effort and can spent a whole afternoon or evening without leaving bored or having to go pick up their sister at the pool and then go home and eat. Not having friends of your friends who come right in the middle of the session at 11:00 at night and disturb everyone's concentration, crack jokes, and spill their wine cooler, making the dice sticky.

Wow, this is quickly becoming a rant, huh?

http://download.ign.com/psx/summonergeeks.exe

This reenactment is an UNDERSTATEMENT to how things went around our basements and kitchen tables.

Oh, and now that I'm 28, how can I attempt to regain this lost glory even though I have the maturity and money to make it happen? Not without it being seen as sad that is. This has been the fate of some of the ex-role-playing compatriots of my youth whom I never speak to anymore. That's what I hear anyway. How can I escape their fate?!?

Is role-playing even worth it when done right? I don't mean perverted Gen-Con versions of AD&D. I mean relaxed games with old friends. Does this even happen anymore? Are there 35-year-olds out there still getting their 50th level fighter killed by a spike pit? Are there D&D clubs out there that aren't havens for virgins in their 40's?

Many questions. Few answers expected.

Ugh. I need to go lie down.

------------------
"Are you a story-teller, Thomas Covenant?"

Absently, he replied, "I was, once."

"And you gave it up? Ah, that is as sad a tale in three words as any you might have told me. But a life without a tale is like a sea without salt. How do you live?"

Covenant folded his arms across the gunwales and rested his chin on them. As the boat moved, Andelain opened constantly in front of him like a bud; but he ignored it, concentrated instead on the plaint of water past the prow. Unconsciously, he clenched his fist over his ring. "I live."

"Another?" Foamfollower returned. "In two words, a story sadder than the first. Say no more - with one word you will make me weep."

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thingol
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 75
posted      Profile for thingol   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
my answer to this: role play is definitely worth it when done right. though i'm only playing a system you certanly don't know (DSA; a german one), having a long evening of role play with good friends is really great. though i have to admit that those moments of being involved completely in this world of fantasy occur very rarely. nevertheless, we can try all the time!
From: germany | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brice
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 61
posted      Profile for Brice   Email Brice   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Your topic is an interesting one WG. Over the past four or five years I have been a player and GM of many MERPs sessions with a close group of friends. We must be lucky, so many times our games have started during an afternoon - only to find that it is 7:00 or 8:00 at night before we know it.

MERPs is so complex, and many within our group (males and females) do 'almost' anything to keep their characters alive.

We know it is a fantasy game, but I think that each of us respect Tolkien and his work so much that we want it to be accurate as well as fun. And this gives us some great, and sometimes funny RPG experiences.

------------------
'It is champion-deeds beneath the sea'

From: Australia. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't play MERPs, but I do play D&D. And our games tend to go, on the average, from 2:00 in the aftrenoon till Midnight, or past.

We're all a pretty dedicated group. And we're all really psyched about our up-coming ME game...

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think RP has to be enjoyable to those doing it to be successful, whether its live, gaming, or written.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gil-galad999
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 233
posted      Profile for Gil-galad999   Author's Homepage   Email Gil-galad999   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
im only 20 but i have been RPing since i was 15 it started with my co workers at Hobbytown USA (who were much much older than me) and now i play with friends my age.. ive played with older and younger and it doesnt matter... RPing is definetly worth playing if its done right as long as you have no immature players just wanting to kill stuff over and over you can just sit back and relax and enjoy your stay in a completly different world.... its ALMOST as good as a book (almost) i know i am lucky to have experienced it at such a young age and to still be experiencing it.. i hope that one day my child will peek out his door and see his father RPing with all his friends...

------------------
Aurë entuluva!

From: ft worth/arlington, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 370
posted      Profile for Natasha   Email Natasha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 14 and I started this March

------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

From: United States, Fl | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord of the Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 534
posted      Profile for Lord of the Nazgul   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i am 14 I have a couple freinds who I have Rps once and a while with but usually after and 2 days we start messing around and have gophers chase us or somethin'.

------------------
You dare stand in front of the Lord of the Nazgul!

From: Somewhere in Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dingalen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 330
posted      Profile for Dingalen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do not mind standing behind the Lord of the Nazgul...

What should I say? I am 28 and have just survived a good roleplaying weekend: One night (from 20:30 to 4:00) of DSA ("Das schwarze Auge"), one night of computer RPing (till 2:00 am) and a good sunday of MERP (from 15:30 to 22:30). Play by night, sleep by day. Maybe I am a nerd, but i don't waste thought about being "sad" or "pathetic" or "too mature" for playing. As long as I can perform my work during the week professionally, I'm not worried, what other people think about my hobby.

The maturity question is solved by what and how you play - after all there is fantasy of the maturity of 'Dragonlance' and of the level of the 'Lord of the Rings'. And I agree with Thingol, that DSA allows with its wonderfully atmospherical and detailed background also decent roleplaying for grown-ups (or never grown ups, like me).

From: Somewhere in the Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zargon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 542
posted      Profile for Zargon   Email Zargon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i love KERP or should i say MERP. in my language Middle-Earth role play is Keski-Maa rooli peli. and i play it all the time and i would like to live in a middle-earth.
did you know that one of the M-E:s elf langauges has gome from finland. mr.Tolkien likes the finland language so much that he greated a elf language to middle-earth from that. and the best part is that i live in finland....

------------------
Dangerous! And so i'am, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet unless you are brought alive before the seat of the DARK LORD.

From: suolahti,keski-suomi,suomi | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dingalen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 330
Hyvää, Zargon. Tervetuola!

You are of the second finnish roleplaying group I have ever heard of. How difficult is it to get a roleplaying group together in finland?

From: Somewhere in the Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isiltári
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2385

posted      Profile for Isiltári   Author's Homepage   Email Isiltári   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 26 and I know a group of people aged 20 - 40 who regularly play D&D and other roleplaying games -- and they've been doing it for years(I can't play with them anymore as I've moved out of state temporarily, but when I go back, I hope to join up again)!

It is definitely worth the time and effort. A dedicated group of people, with vivid imaginations and the ability to stay in character, is what makes all the difference.

*sniff*

I wish I knew some people in this area to RP with.

[ 09-21-2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Isiltári ]

From: Mirkwood | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf Greyhame
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 747

posted      Profile for Gandalf Greyhame   Author's Homepage   Email Gandalf Greyhame   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I don't want to act like a total dork, but what do you guys mean by D&D? And how exactly to folks RPG? I mean I'm rather new to this stuff.
From: Minas Illinois | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I've found it nearly impossible to find a group of people interested in the same RPG. I have a friend who was assisting in authoring one and have many friends who play, but they all focus on different games. And strangely enough, none are into MERP. I'm still looking for a good group in my area. I figure I'm 21 and I've got 3 more years of living up here if I stay for grad school too so I've got time.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~ No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master. ~*~

It felt good though, didn't it? The trick is to get in fast, and leave even faster! ~ Singollo

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krell
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 327
posted      Profile for Krell   Email Krell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... two years later and this thread comes back!

WGW - DId you get to play yet? Find a good GM/DM?

Glorfindel - I find it a little surprising that you havn't at least had exposure to D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) but I guess there's a first time for everyone. I'm by no means an authority on Role Playing games, but here's a long but untimately simplified explination for you.

A RPG (Role Playing Game) can be any of a range of games in which you "become" a character. There are several different types of games, which can then be broken down into even more categories.
LARP - Live Action Role Play - The players will act out their charcters movements and actions. This can vary from just acting the movement portion of the game and rolling dice to determine combat results and other abilities that may be used, to actually using weapons (usually constructed from safe padded materials) to act out the combat.

Standard RPGs usually involve sitting around a table and saying what your character says and does. Dice are used to determine combat results and a wide range of other "chance" events. The whole system is designed, so anything that can possibly happen can be determined if and to what extent it does happen, by the rolling dice. (I know that sounds a little confusing, but it's all based on statistcal chances, and the GM or Game Master that is running the game)

ONLINE RPGs - Everquest is a good example. Just like other RPGs, you get to choose your race (human, dwarf, elf...) and class (fighter, magic user, archer...) The computer takes the place of the GM, and it has the same statistical calculators programmed in, to effectively "roll the dice" for you. It's a much faster and graphical way to play, but your adventures are limited to the predesigned program. With a real GM, you can go anywhere and do anything, the GM is constantly adjusting and tweaking the game to fit it's players, because you never know what may happen.

There are more types of RPGs, if you really want to learn more, or possibly even try it out, I'd recommend finding a hobby shop and see if the run any games or know how to get you in touch with someone who won't mind showing you how. I'd also try an online RPG or even a play at home computer game. Your local Babbages can probably direct you to a good D&D based game that can give you a little more familiarity with how adventures work.

I appologize for my spelling.

From: Holland, Mi, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darclegion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2608
posted      Profile for darclegion   Author's Homepage   Email darclegion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hi, i kinda have put a twist into my wargamming, by using 15mm figures, and also have some of them based for 25mm rules...and i throw in some role playing also in the game. I dont go deep into role playing, but I use the concept and of course use the characters and give them special weapons, etc...wizards.

tom

From: Round Rock, TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well how did I miss this?

I've been playing D&D since '76, and have played steadily ever since. Games on three continents, with literally hundreds of players over the years. Played just about everything, from classic fantasy to wild west to scifi.

Yes, it is possible to game today in the atmosphere of friendship. My current group has been together for over a decade. On my return, they were one of the groups I contacted first.

The family is getting ready to enter it's second generation, as my daughter wants to play. So, I suppose, the game is still going strong.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep Minas Tirith Clean

"My dignity...she is gone..."

From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dingalen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 330
That sounds promising.
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I never did get back into RP. None of my friends now are into it, and it takes more than the wistful memories of one person to get a game going. I can't even get a game of Axis & Allies going, so how the hell can I organize some D&D?!? []

It's OK though. There are enough advances in online adventuring to keep me happy when the mood strikes me.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Flint the Dwarf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1089
posted      Profile for Dark Flint the Dwarf   Email Dark Flint the Dwarf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you guys played RuneQuest ? an awesome game developed in the 70's after D&D started, a mythical world called Glorantha now developed by Avalon Hill. Awesome ... even developed campaigns with fights between armies, not just dungeoneering. Or Tunnels & Trolls ? I even played those solo books using a couple of dice by UK based Games Workshop. Now it's solo PC games such as Dungeoon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, and waiting for the new LOTR to come out by EA on PC and PS2. Awesome graphics ... Don't have enuff time for online gaming, that's way cool ...
From: The Land of small people, big smiles | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mad Uncle Rupert
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1148

posted      Profile for Mad Uncle Rupert   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I did play Runequest long ago, and thought it was pretty good. And I did some of those solo books as well, though they weren't much fun. Taking the interaction away loses the best part. That's why I don't like RP video games.
From: Playing softball with the Nazarenes | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Flint the Dwarf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1089
posted      Profile for Dark Flint the Dwarf   Email Dark Flint the Dwarf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, with you there, though like other 30-somethings with two kids, just don't have the time anymore. I've also moved, used to play when I was in London with old school chums, but now I'm in far-far off Jakarta, Indonesia, not exactly gaming haven to be found here - all the kids here seem intent on video games. C'est la vie - a change of times, something Tolkien tried to write about in LOTR and the Sil ... what would he have thought of today's developments ?
From: The Land of small people, big smiles | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Onyx
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2728

posted      Profile for Radagast the Onyx   Email Radagast the Onyx   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone played the LotR RPG from Decipher? If so, can you tell me if it's any good or not? Thanks.
From: Abilene, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maedbh
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2749
posted      Profile for Maedbh   Email Maedbh   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever play Final Fantasy?
Best RPG's ever.
hahahahahahaha!!!!!
Terry Pratchett

From: Newry, Northern Ireland | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Onyx
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2728

posted      Profile for Radagast the Onyx   Email Radagast the Onyx   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're talking about pen and paper RPG's, not video game RPG's. I've been playing video game RPG's for about 8 years, and the best one ever is Chrono Trigger for the SNES. Final Fantasy is great, but not the best.
From: Abilene, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Role-playing is itself a fantasy (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help