profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Realmz
Author Topic: Realmz
Faceman
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4
posted      Profile for Faceman   Email Faceman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's played Realmz from Fantasoft, do you know if they've got permission from the Tolkien Estate or whatever, cos they've got things like Sting in treasure collections, and one of the races you can choose is called a Furfoot... hmmm... wonder what that is...? And you've got things like Halfling going around, and all this sort of thing... If they haven't got permission it's bloody cheeky!

------------------
THE FACE HAS SPOKEN...

Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely they do NOT have permission.

Shady companies like to use the ideas of others and basically dare the owners to come claim them. By the time they get around to a 'cease and desist' order, enough money has been made to make it worthwhile.

Cheeky is an understatement!

P.S. Welcome to the board. I have great plans for this place, but I am far from moving quickly to get it looking or acting great. I assume you stumbled upon this site since I haven't advertised anywhere yet. I bet you were excited when blindly typing in this link paid off! Great to have you here!

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faceman
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4
posted      Profile for Faceman   Email Faceman   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was an accident, but a happy one! - I was just browsing, trying out a load of names and words from The Lord Of The Rings, and this is what I got when I tried Minas Tirith... not bad really!

------------------
THE FACE HAS SPOKEN...

[This message has been edited by Faceman (edited 05-27-2000).]

Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ringthane
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3
posted      Profile for Ringthane   Author's Homepage   Email Ringthane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Although the "Sting" reference is over-the-top, I'm surprised they don't just call the Furfoots "Halflings." The fantasy genre as a whole has borrowed so much of Tolkien's vision that it's pretty much accepted that a fantasy role-playing game's got to have its orcs, trolls, a noble elf race, rangers, halflings and rings of power.

Dungeons & Dragons is a prime example.

From: Lombard, IL, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, yer right.

It's probably only a crime with the Sting reference.

I gotta remember this stuff has been around for fifty years and has been staggeringly popular. Also can't forget the way it has spawned generations of fantasy fans and artists building on their own personal view of Tolkien's writing.

Then again, maybe the sword is made from a giant wasp's stinger and is just stealing the name in a ~legal~ way. Anyway, these bums'll never get caught.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the oldest thread in the city of Minas Tirith!

In case anyone was curious what Realmz was...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Posted on Henry Kissinger's birthday, no less. His 77th, to be precise!

[and a day before my 30th... [] ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Fantasy Games » Realmz
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help