profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Computer Games » Final Fantasy XII
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who's played it? Did/are you enjoyed/enjoying it?
From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vahndel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5110

posted      Profile for Vahndel   Email Vahndel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of my close friends owns it and says it has a fun battle system and a good story, complete with the classic "medieval meets strange technology" theme FF games love to use. I've only seen him play on a few occasions but it seemed like something worthwhile, or at least a more rewarding investment than something like Dirge of Cerberus.
From: Florida, the Flower of the US | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has it. I watched him play for awhile at the beginning, but couldn't stay interested. Then I saw a comedy troup make fun of how long the game takes to start, so maybe I should give it another try....

The only other part I saw was Yuri Lowenthal as some guy in a chair [] Which means nothing to anyone but me, but *shrugs*

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have it, and I have to say that this game is not as good as Final Fantasy X, IX, or VIII, or even X-2 (the other ones I played). I haven't finished it, because I'd rather re-finish FFX []

The music is average, except for a few places where it's good, the characters are not developed enough for me, there is no real main character, IMO, only a bunch of secondary ones. And I don't like the battle system very much - but that's not really important.
What I also didn't like was the fact that almost all the places are dark and gloomy and underground at the beginning : sewers, mines (twice !)...
I found it quite difficult to find enough money, too...

The only thing that's great are the graphisms. The game is very beautiful []

So, kinda disappointed, I'd say... []

[ 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CloudStrife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3483

posted      Profile for CloudStrife   Email CloudStrife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've just passed 180 hours of gameplay on it, and while there isn't really a main character, I still have enjoyed it. The battle engine reminds me somewhat of KOTOR which I loved. The Graphics are incredibly gorgeous. I haven't decided whether or not I like the summons/espers yet... I am enjoying immensely though. More than I thought I would.

I've got almost to the end of the game in the story, but I'm going back and doing as many of the sidequests as possible.

From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aredhel Isilrá
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3149

posted      Profile for Aredhel Isilrá   Author's Homepage   Email Aredhel Isilrá   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I got FF XII free from my boyfriend's brothers, because they got bored with it and went back playing FF X. At first I was amazed by it, but when I played it more I didn't get FF feeling. And now I ended up playing FF VII with a strategy guide (This must be like 4th or 5th time I play VII though). And I got VIII at begining of the year so I need to finidh that too.

My boyfriend got some aggressions when he wached me play FF XII and not because I sucked. It reminded him of Vagrant Story and he said the game is Vagrant Story II rather than Final Fantasy XII.

The game is good and all. The battle system is ok, but it's not a Final Fantasy game.

From: Etelä-Pohojanmaa; Finland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have it. I'm about 70% of the way through it. I'm one of the few who love it and don't think it betrays FF. And I think it's an interesting storyline. I still don't know how they're going to do it! But it's FF, so I'm sure they will.

I like that there's not a vat amount of sap, as in FFX (which, I might add, is probably my favourite, despite Yuna's annoyingness) and VIII. I also like the majority of characters (Penelo's the exception). I like how when you talk to people in towns their 'names' change as you discover their personality.

I even like gambits, you never quite know what's going to happen, even though you THINK you've forseen every outcome. (Don't tell me you've never set Foe:Undead > Curaga ABOVE Foe:Char. HP<50% > Drain only to find your characters ignore it and KO themselves!)

But what do I know? I think FF7 is awful (so much so I cannot even bring myself to give it numerals!) and have no interest in trying to get past the first mind-numbing no-idea-who-anyone-is-or-what's-happening-or-why 6 hours. [] *running away now before she is pelted with Blizzagas*

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The game is good and all. The battle system is ok, but it's not a Final Fantasy game.
Agreed entirely. []

Glad you enjoy it, though, DQ [] I haven't resumed playing it since I gave up on the first time, but I think I should give another try (and another chance). []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If anything isn't a Final Fantasy game, IMO it's FFX-2. A truly, truly terrible game. Out of style and out of character! But that's an arguement for another thread. []

FFXII deserves a little leeway in view of that monstrosity. []

[ 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vahndel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5110

posted      Profile for Vahndel   Email Vahndel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Vaan and Penelo were my major gripes with the game, but I guess it's not their fault since they were shoved in last minute by Square-Enix in place of Basch as main character. The game made up for that by including Gilgamesh and his awesome battle theme, though, so I suppose it evens out.

Though I kinda wish this game had been a more direct extension to FF:Tactics(cover the end of the Fifty Years War, maybe? [] ).

From: Florida, the Flower of the US | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

True, Vaan and Penelo make me: [] But I don't use them, so that solves that apart from cutscenes. [] They should have left Basch in pride of place though, he's a very interesting character.
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Well, that's the main problem I guess with the game : the characters []

Anyway, re-what you said about FFX-2 : I'm enjoying it if I consider it just to be a sequel to FFX because so many fans wanted it, I guess it's true it's not a FF game per se. It's fun alright, just not that serious - except at the end maybe ? - and I love the girls []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[] Inc'. Personally, I like the other four characters. Especially Basch and Fran. If you like the girls in FFX-2, surely you like her? [] If ever a race was eye-candy for the guys, it's the Viera... Why are there no male Viera anyway?

It's as a sequel to FFX that I find it fails the most. The totally out-of-character behaviour of the returning characters truly annoyed me, as did the total mood change of the game as a whole. I really couldn't make it FIT as a sequel. The game might have worked on another world with another set of characters (I only made it through it but leaving about 3 years between playing X and X-2 and trying not to think about it). The only part that really fit with the mood of X, IMO, was the tragedy of Lenne and... Shuyin was he called? I forget. Oh, and there were no playable guys! []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Computer Games » Final Fantasy XII
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help