Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Computer Games » Is Pokemon making a comeback?
Author Topic: Is Pokemon making a comeback?
Hylian Hero
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4210
posted      Profile for Hylian Hero   Email Hylian Hero   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Recently Nintendo released its newest titles in the Pokemon Franchise in the form of the DS games Diamond and Pearl. If your reading this, you probably already know the features of the game, so I won't tell you.

When I purchased the game, I was deeply afraid of loosing social status, Pokemon has always been looked down upon in the Chicago Public school system and people who played it were "childish", "kiddie", and "losers". I had always had experiences of defending the game against an onslaught of people thinking that I had the mind of a tweleve year old simply because I enjoyed the game.

Now that I'm in college, I was afraid of the same reaction, so I played in secret and didn't tell anybody that I had it. A few days after the release, I noticed an increasing amount of people in labs, classes, and hallways walking around with their DS out. Turns out, EVERYONE was playing the game. I have actually gained new friends and met tons of new people simply because we shared the common bond of playing the new Pokemon.

So I ask you, is Pokemon making a comeback? Has it risen from the depths of "its just a kiddie game for 12 year-olds" to an acceptable medium with which to enjoy oneself and meet new people? Am I reading to much into this and using this post to procrastinate even further on the research paper I have due tomorrow? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I'm back and have no idea where to begin.

From: Windy City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is Pokemon making a comeback?
Please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no please no...
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, the handheld game was always considered OK for older people to play. I hate the cartoon and consider the cards gigantic wastes of money, but the handheld game did give me some enjoyment.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
MY POKEMANS.

LET ME SHOW YOU THEM.

From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pokemon 1 was cool and innovative.

Pokemon 2 to x was/is bad and repetitive.

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5329
posted      Profile for Supra   Email Supra   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pokemon probably is making a comeback, but the games are all similar. They are, however, fairly addictive because of their easiness. Pokemon was the most sold game for gameboys by far. The price of Pokemon Emerald stayed over $50 for years for a reason. I play diamond, but i like fire red the best, lvl 94 Charizard w00t
From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Only had Red and Gold*
The Red was because I asked for it for Chrismas. [] The Gold because my brother bought it for me as a present! [] []

... And I got pissed off with my battery dying every day, and mom stopped buying me tonnes of batteries per week, and I think I was deprived from GBs and I lost my addiction for Pokemon around that point.

And I agree, the cards are a major rip off. []

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5329
posted      Profile for Supra   Email Supra   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I got pissed off with my battery dying every day, and mom stopped buying me tonnes of batteries per week, and I think I was deprived from GBs and I lost my addiction for Pokemon around that point.

Thats why you dont play on Gameboy, you download a ROM and a gameboy emulator. [] [] You play the game full size and have rapid save during battles and stuff []
From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One downloads ROMs and emulators to play Super Mario 3 []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now there's a real game! []
From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is. I love Super Mario.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Blast! This double posted my post.

[ 05-26-2007, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Captain of Gondor ]

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PLEASE GOD NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! [] [] [] []

Akso, Super Mario 3 was/is f***ing awesome. Some thing never change.

[ 06-19-2007, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Prince Imrahil ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lost king
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4098
posted      Profile for the lost king   Author's Homepage   Email the lost king   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*blows dust off thread* Hylan i dont think it did but i sure hoped it was going to. im 20 going on 21 and have owned ever game at some point and currently own fire red leaf green diamond and pearl still play and still love it. its a nintendo classic and it ever got old for me

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ignorance is NOT bliss, It's a freakin' pain in the butt.

That's what pessimistic optimism is all about. ~Braeden Fireheart

From: Lameham MD | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE GOD NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! [] [] [] []

Verbatim! I couldn't agree more. What with that yellow Squishy pufful poef and his gang, oh no - save us!
From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5329
You guys don't like Pokémon because it is way below your age group -- no offence []

Its the same as 12 year olds not liking soap operas []

GO POKEMON!!!!

Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Only old ladies like soap operas.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was aimed at my age group and I still loathed it. So there.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You guys don't like Pokémon because it is way below your age group
And IQ apparently []
From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vahndel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5110

posted      Profile for Vahndel   Email Vahndel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And IQ apparently
Yeah, because Pokemon was always meant to be an intense mental challenge [] . It was fun as a kid and is still a nice to play occasionally, though I've only ever played the first two generations of the game.

[ 06-18-2008, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Vahndel ]

From: Florida, the Flower of the US | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I sewed my friend a padded Pikachu backpack for her birthday. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Computer Games » Is Pokemon making a comeback?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help