profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » They Shall Not Grow Old
Author Topic: They Shall Not Grow Old
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who has seen They Shall Not Grow Old? I have now walked out of a Peter Jackson movie thinking, "Oh. Now I get the Lord of the Rings" (meaning the books, of course). If you have not heard anything about this, Jackson restored 100 hours of WWI footage for the War Museum and used part of the footage, plus interviews the BBC made back in the 60's and 70's with actual WWI veterans, to create this movie for them. It is entirely from the point of view of the British soldier sent to Flanders and France - not a word of outside narration - just the veterans. The film restoration is amazing- crisp, sharp, normal movement - not jerky and up and down like you think of film from the 19-teens - and the portion used for this film was colorized. It is astonishing.

I first thought of LOTR at the end when the men talked of going home and things were not as they were when they left, with rampant unemployment and no one really having any idea of what they had gone through. And thinking on it more - and trust me, it is a not movie that leaves you - I realize how much is in LOTR: the constant scream of the artillery overhead, the gas, the bodies sinking into mud and waterlogged hellholes where if you step off the duck boards you are a goner, and, like Frodo and Sam in Mordor, having no idea what is going on elsewhere. I have not read Tolkien and the Great War though I suppose I will now. But there is nothing like seeing it as those poor men saw it.

I very much look forward to hearing what you all thought of this film. In the US you have missed the Fathom events showings but evidently it will be shone in the Spring in some places, so keep an eye out.

[ 12-29-2018, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether it will ever be possible to see it in Norway - but if it is shown here, or I could see it elsewhere, I certainly will.

Perhaps at the War Museum? Somewhere in London, I would guess?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » They Shall Not Grow Old
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help