profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » BBC "Tolkien in Oxford" film
Author Topic: BBC "Tolkien in Oxford" film
Atmospherium
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5323
posted      Profile for Atmospherium   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming that this film I found on Youtube is the 1968 BBC documentary. I've been wanting to see it for years, and now that I have, I'm very disappointed. For being a BBC production it has all the hallmarks of a student film, made by snarky college kids trying to be clever and 'controversial'.

It is recorded elsewhere that Tolken did not enjoy being filmed. Also, of the "miles and miles of film" shot of Tolkien, very little made the final cut. Instead we see a jumble of disjointed scenes of Oxford and various students voicing their opinions.

The footage we do see of Tolkien I think is pretty good; at least the scenes where he is allowed to talk about his work. I especially like the bit where he visits a couple of favorite trees.

I also like the girl we see at the beginning, and interspersed throughout, as she goes on and on and on, giving us the plot of the Lord of the Rings. She seems a nice girl, and a true Tolkien geek.

What do you think of it?

Part 1

Part 2

Entire film at BBC Archive

From: The Niagara Frontier | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just love hearing JRRT talk.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atmospherium
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5323
posted      Profile for Atmospherium   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that when reading or reciting Tolkien speaks in a very clear and strong voice. Only in conversation does he lapse into the rush of muttered half-formed words and sentences tumbling over each other.

[ 10-15-2011, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Atmospherium ]

From: The Niagara Frontier | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
clicking on your link led me to 4 hours of watching various tolkien clips.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » BBC "Tolkien in Oxford" film
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help