Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » FoTR from the bad guys' perspective
Author Topic: FoTR from the bad guys' perspective
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone's heard of this: a Russian-language reinterpretation of the story, this time told from the perspective of Mordor.

Salon has an article about it. And you -- supposedly -- can download an English translation here: http://ymarkov.livejournal.com/270570.html

I tried, but got a 12KB file that my computer didn't recognize as a PDF, but rather an "application". (Malware?) []

Has anyone else tried to access this? Or does anyone have the PDF they'd be willing to share? []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I did manage to download the PDF

E: Silm are you sure you didn't try to download "Babylon" instead of PDF?

[ 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a Firefox/Mac thing with Sendspace, or whatever file hosting system used. (I've had to switch to Safari or Chrome before to access files on these sites...)

But anyhoo, a friend of mine emailed me a copy.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riverdog
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11385
posted      Profile for Riverdog   Email Riverdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone read it? I thought it sounded like a fantastic idea and potentially a great read.

But i was discouraged by
a) the author's background (on the other hand, a linguistics professor? so what do i know?) and
b) the English translations appearing to have been done as a hobby

Seemed like a couple of steps removed from the likelihood of a well told tale.

Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » FoTR from the bad guys' perspective
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help