Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The hunt for Gollum (Page 1)
Author Topic: The hunt for Gollum
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard of this? It seems to be an amatuar film of the above title. But only half an hour long!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amateur is correct! The first thing I saw on the first clip I viewed was they spelled Eregion wrong.

edit: but the trailers do look intriguing, for what little they show. Mayhap it is just my hopefullness obscuring reality.

[ 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not that I'm not interested or what, but I just keep wondering why it is necessary to keep opening new topics for these fan films.

Wouldn't one topic, updated when necessary, do?

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
'Full Trailer 1' (new)
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, the "Hunt for Gollum" film is finally out.

Here is the film:

High resolution
http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/player_film-hd.htm
Low resolution
http://d2xm3akt98wlh.cloudfront.net/player_film-low.htm

What do you think?

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I managed to dl it. Haha. New Line can't prevent me watching this (****ing internet censorship).

Anyway, my first impression is: too much influenced by the Jackson film, even the score. Gonna elaborate when I've watched the whole thing...

edit:

+ Filmed in Europe. Ah, did you see the difference? The light, the trees... much more fitting than Jackson-country.

+ Some good ideas here.

- same mistakes as PJ: Music during fight scenes. Ick. Awkward love scene. []

My summary:
I think they should have taken a leaf or two out of Yôji Yamada's book, not Peter Jackson's.

[ 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How did you dl it? I've only seen options to watch it ...
And I cannot watch it online on my current internet connection, but I'll have a better one tomorrow ...

It seems from the trailer and from the pictures that are posted that they do indeed try to make it look as similar to Jackson's movie as possible, even down to look-alike actors.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can download and save it. I have watched it online.

I will wait till more people see the thing before expressing my disappointment. I don't want to give spoilers. []

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How did you dl it?
Browser tool called "DownloadHelper". There is also a RealPlayer dl tool. Works with firefox, I dunno about other browsers.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They said it would be available for download - but maybe they will be putting it up later, when all the bandwidth isn't being used for watching any more.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/altviewlinks.html:
quote:
A download version will not be made available due to copyright reasons. The film is for streaming only but we will upload it to other free streaming sites on the 10th of May.

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was ok. I had no detail from the book to compare it to and then think, "that's not how it is!"
Both the later scene when one of the Nazgûl was fighting Aragorn and earlier when Aragorn met his kinsman of Arnor were odd, including when Aragorn told his kinsman that his name as Strider, but all in all it was ok.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
With the volume on the laptop and the streaming window maxed out, I can barely hear it; it's too frustrating to try to watch what I can't hear.

[ 05-04-2009, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: LyraLuthien Tinuviel ]

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the hunt for Gollum and born of Hope are success and it seems that they might well be, I suppose that there might well be lots of copycat films. But I have a challenge if anyone reads this who has any influence or friendship with anyone doing one of these things. How about having a fanficfilm not from the time of the end of the third age but somewhere other in ME timezone. At the start of the third age, from the Silmarillion or even a second age Numenorean tale!

[ 05-05-2009, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
LyraLuthien Tinuviel: The film does seem a bit quiet. If you use Microsoft Windows, try opening Volume Control (that's what it's called if I remember correctly) and check whether the 'Wave' level is also maxed out.

Or use an external amplifier and loudspeakers. []

Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
I had to use headphones, that worked. However I couldn't watch the whole thing, it was like PJ made a home movie. The European location was better than New Zealand, though: I don't think they look at all the same, whatever anyone says.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

For some reason, I couldn't take the fighting seriously.
It didn't help that I didn't find out how to maximize the window, so I was watching it in a small window in the middle of all the ads for the rest of the offers on the site, and I couldn't get the screen to light up enough either.

They tried to make something that looked (and even sounded, they used parts of Howard Shore's themes in their music) like it had been picked up from among the cut pieces on PJs floor - perhaps it would have been better if they had made it completely their own idea instead.

Born of Hope avoids all characters that appear in PJs movies, because they would have wanted them to be the same or not be there at all. So unless Hugh Weaving offers to appear for free, Elrond will not be in the movie. Might be a better approach ...

I watched a Behind the scenes-movie as well - shows some of the way they were working and thinking.

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
quote:
Perhaps because it was filmed PJ-style, with deafening music in the "back"ground...
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not finished watching it yet but have a couple of comments/questions around 1/3 of the way through.

-Does Aragorn talking to Elendil his forefather have any basis in the Legendarium?

-How does Aragorn not know this other Ranger of Arnor personally?

-Was Aragorn's throat cut as a youngster or something? Why does he always sound like he has laryngitis? Is it because Viggo Mortensen sounded that way?

-Why is the music LOUD and the speaking soft?

My feeling is that this is every bit as good and bad as PJ's movies were...so far.

[ 05-06-2009, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts ]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was about the same as PJ's.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
Does Aragorn talking to Elendil his forefather have any basis in the Legendarium?
I cannot see any such basis.
quote:
Why does he always sound like he has laryngitis? Is it because Viggo Mortensen sounded that way?
If that is the reason, they should have gone all the way and got another actor who was part Danish. I found a sound file once with Mortensen reading Danish poetry, and I wondered how that sound would fit with the Danish language - but when he started reading, I realised that this language is where he's got the sound from. It's his Danish accent. So they needed another actor with a Danish accent.
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

Funny, the film succeeded where most amateur films fail, and failed where an amateur film could have had some advantages over a big-money project: in canonicity and interesting dialogues.

Visually it is awesome, I concede. For an amateur film it is amazing. But only visually.

The script could have been way better. The dialogues are few and badly done. The acting of the main character is rather poor.

As for canonicity... How come Gandalf already knows that the One Ring is found when he sends Aragorn to find Gollum? Wasn't the need to find Gollum motivated by his uncertainty about Bilbo's Ring?

Worse stil is this "ranger of Arnor" Aragorn meets in the Wood sp. The ranger calls himself Arithir - son of Ar-somebody. Now isn't it ridiculous? Only the rightful King/chieftain of Arnor has the right for name starting with "Ar". So, who is this impostor really? Note he doesn't know his Chieftain and doesn't even know the name "Strider".I bet he must be a badly-instructed spy of Sauron. []

Then the nazgul. Canonically Gandalf only learned that the Nine had crossed the Anduin when Radagast told him so. Aragorn learned about them from Gildor a few days prior to meeting the hobbits in Bree. In the film nazgul are riding all the time through the Wood sp. assaulting lone travelers. And by the way, if Aragorn fought several of them in the wood at night he would have been dead. []

The fight with the orcs is also quite unrealistic - a rip-off of PJ's, as so many other things in the film...*sigh*

[ 09-16-2009, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Ulairë Gordis ]

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Correct as usual, and your exclusive use of green emoticons is quite telling, Ulairë Gordis. [] []
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Finished it...
It's about like PJ's movies only shorter.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
Only the rightful King/chieftain of Arnor has the right for name starting with "Ar".
Probably the script writer didn't know that. []

Nor did Sauron's intelligence department. []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The hunt for Gollum (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help