profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Hobbit on Stage
Author Topic: Hobbit on Stage
Ringthane
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3
posted      Profile for Ringthane   Author's Homepage   Email Ringthane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I was around 13, a friend's parents took us all to Drury Lane Theater in Oak Brook, IL, to see their production of The Hobbit. My memories of it are that they cut every story corner they could -- there were only around 5 dwarves, there was no Lake-Town, and in the end, Bilbo stabbed Smaug with Sting as the dwarves all came up and clapped him on the back in congratulations.

It was horrendous. Nobody else actually saw this, did they?

From: Lombard, IL, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't, thank Eru. []

What were they thinking? That's like changing the end of Wizard of Oz.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds as bad as the Julius Caesar play I saw in January. It was set in Ancient Rome, Japan, Caesar called Antony "Antonio", talked on a cell phone, and knew ninga moves. Add this to the fact that Cassuis and a few others had a gender transformation and that they lopped off huge amounts off the plot, and it turned into a nightmare of a play.
From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why a reputable company couldn't negotiate with the Tolkien trust and produce a Hobbit play. I think one could just about get everything into a 4 hour production.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Hobbit on Stage
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help