Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Star Wars (Page 2)
Author Topic: Star Wars
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not really, it's a pretty stagnant galaxy, while Bilbo's world was on the verge of a new era.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the contrary, in Star Wars, they are on the verge of a new era essentially; when the Empire is overthrown the Next Age (Return) of the Jedi begins, sort of parallel to the Fourth Age or the Return of the Kings of Men.

An empire that was 30 years old at most- and a return to the same-old same old. Meanwhile the empire in Arda was as old as Arda itself, beginning with Melkor and ending with Sauron.

quote:

quote:
SW was about a tiny upheaval in a Taoist universe.

I do not understand how this is so different than LoTR. Sauron was as 'tiny an upheaval' as the Emperor, considering that all the greater magnitude events had already taken place in the Silmarillion...the overthrow of Sauron by casting the Ring into the fire is by all means considerably tiny when you compare it to the host of Valinor marching upon Melkor...(If the Ainur didn't have their isolationist policy, then I'm pretty sure Manwë could have just spit on Barad-Dúr and it would have toppled. )

As for the Taoist part I'm not quite sure where you are getting at with that, are you referring to the Dao (道, flow of the universe; force) the concept of wu wei (無爲, simple life & virtues), or the yin and yang (陰陽, concept of polarity; 'heaven and earth')?

Roughly, but the Tao means what it says, i.e. the "way" between cyclical flow between light and dark forces with no particular individual identity in comparison to God or Eru; and writing in Chinese symbols doesn't clarify things so much as metamessage a baffling.

Sauron was not "one tiny upheaval," he was the apprentice and successor of Melkor, tyrant of Arda and even claimed to be the return of Melkor himself-- indeed he was more evil and sinister than Melkor, simply less powerful.

The comparison simply breaks down on examination due to the anonymous and cyclical implications of the SW universe in comparison to Arda, and I don't want to write a book to prove it to those who can't understand it anyway.

[ 03-17-2008, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was a series like B5 out today! There's always fanfiction, I suppose. I think I could get away with my little idea, but I'm not sure anyone would read it! Besides, I have other things to do!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just realizing something by comparing Star Wars to LotR: both stories revolve around the abuse of power. However they differ significantly in terms of making sense:

Star Wars:
Villain: "Good and evil are points of view."
Archetype: "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
Voice of morality: "Only a (villain) thinks in absolutes."

LotR:
Villain: "There would not be any real change in our designs, only in our means."
Archetype: "There are no travellers in this land: only the servants of the Dark Tower, or of the White."
Voice of morality: "But we are neither... whatever Captain Faramir may say."

Why do movie-producers try to top perfection?

[ 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I actually quite like the last of the prequals because of 1) Darth Sedious was supurb. 2) It's nice to see the bad guys win for a change in this type of story, 3) It's just about the last time I have seen this type of space opera film, I can't think of any that have been on since 2005 []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
It just reminded me of kids playing "The floor's hot lava! Can't step on the hot lava!"
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Star Wars (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help