Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Born of Hope (Page 1)
Author Topic: Born of Hope
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
posted      Profile for Rumil   Email Rumil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
for all of us this is gonna be great... it is gonna be a good supplement to PJ's films...

http://www.bornofhope.com/

From: Lothlorien | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
posted      Profile for Rumil   Email Rumil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
sorry to double post, but I wanted to clarify that this is not a dead project, if you read the diaries... it said there was one entry assuring fans that it is not dead, the entry was made on March 4... 3 days ago...
From: Lothlorien | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Thats looks pretty cool. How exactly would they be able to use all of the names and stuff without permission?
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
umm thats kinda what is one of they're major hold ups... I'm hoping that either PJ or p'haps Christopher Lee (a true lover of pure Tolkien) or some other decent powerful influential person will step in...
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Saul Zaentz (through Tolkien Enterprises) own the worldwide film, stage, and merchandise rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
technically... Born of Hope is not based on any of those books... only brief notes in the appendixes they may be able to use that as a loophole...
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But it is using those names - which is likely to cause problems ...
quote:
These rough storyboards were drawn up by the talented Henning Janssen
... who made the artwork I've got my avatar from (with his permission).
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
Hopefully somebody decent yet influential (I know this sounds strange but some do exist) will rally to their side... they need to get a hold of somebody who simply loves Tolkien for the sake of Tolkien... I think they should contact Christopher Lee... I think he would support them
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
again... sorry to double post but I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that they're moving along schedule... in fact they're gonna shoot this summer! I also noticed they added in some "home made" characters... hopefully it'll add to rather than negate from the story...
Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
It should be intresting to see a movie about some bit characters. In my mind, one of the few flaws about ME is that almost no-one writes in it, unlike the Star Wars universe, which has dozen's of novels. This could really open up ME.
From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
one of the few flaws about ME is that almost no-one writes in it
You must be joking!
There are lots of Tolkien fanfiction sites with thousands of stories - all set in ME.

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
and I must say that about 90% of them are total trash... an insult to Tolkien and his works... I saw one that was about Legolas and Eowyn falling in love....blech.... []

but this looks like they're only adding as necessary for the sake of the story having more than 3 or 4 characters... so I'm alright with this... [] ... just hope it doesn't go out of control... []

Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

posted      Profile for Ulairë Gordis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and I must say that about 90% of them are total trash... an insult to Tolkien and his works... I saw one that was about Legolas and Eowyn falling in love....blech....
That is correct: 90 to 95 % of the stories are crap. However, Legolas falling in love with Eowyn is a rare case, normally Leggy is far too busy courting all the Mary Sues - stupid alter-egos of the authors that fall in Middle-earth.
But the best stories out there have little to mess with the main canon characters. They are stories set in ME, not retellings of LOTR, with their own (often awesome and believable) characters. ME is just a splendid world to write about.

From: Minas Morgul | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the best stories out there have little to mess with the main canon characters. They are stories set in ME, not retellings of LOTR, with their own (often awesome and believable) characters. ME is just a splendid world to write about.
Some of the best stories in our own Green Dragon forum are of that kind.

I like the way this film seems to be going - covering a period where very little was written by Tolkien, using the few characters that he mentioned, adding others that would likely have been around, and telling about things that might very well have happened. []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

quote:
I like the way this film seems to be going - covering a period where very little was written by Tolkien, using the few characters that he mentioned, adding others that would likely have been around, and telling about things that might very well have happened.
Exactly my feelings. I think it will be a great film - much truer to Tolkien's spirit and major themes than the infamous PJ's movies.
Moreover I so like C. Dane as Arathorn! []

Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
posted      Profile for Aragon the First   Author's Homepage   Email Aragon the First   Edit/Delete Post 
-----------------------------------------------------
You must be joking!
There are lots of Tolkien fanfiction sites with thousands of stories - all set in ME.
------------------------------------------------------

What I meant was that if you go to a library or a bookstore, you only find Tolkien books about Middle-earth or else one of the encyclopedias: while in the Star Wars section, there are hordes of books, by dozen's of authors.

[ 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Aragon the First ]

From: Washington State | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ulairë Gordis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5350

Now I see what you mean... Copyright issues. *sigh*.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

quote:
in the Star Wars section, there are hordes of books, by dozen's of authors
I didn't know that (I never go to the Star Wars section [] ) - so is anyone allowed to write from the Star Wars universe, or do they just have several official authors?

Are all those books well-written, btw?

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How many of the Star Wars books might as well be posted on FF.net?
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
I didn't know that (I never go to the Star Wars section ) - so is anyone allowed to write from the Star Wars universe, or do they just have several official authors?

Are all those books well-written, btw?
For the published books, you need permission from Lucasfilms, although there is a large amount of unpublished fan ficton as well, which ocassionally gets published in the offical journals. As to the qualtiy, most of them are quite good, exspecially the Timothy Zhan novels. However, there are two or three duds out there. I can get you the list later, as I own some of the duds [] .

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

But Lucasfilms will give such permission, then?

Those who own the rights to Tolkien's works wouldn't do such a thing ...

Aragon the First
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6486
Yes, Lucasfilm must give you offical permission for your book to be part of the Star Wars canon. Hoowever, for Tolkien, maybe those that handle such things could release a volume of the best fan fiction each year. It wouldn't be canon or anything, but it might still be good.
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Around the time the films started coming out I think I remember seeing a volume of fanfictions being sold at Barnes and Noble or Borders...
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have been known to write a little bit of fanfic myself. On the subject of the Star Wars universe, I do think that Timothy Zahn is, in fact, head and shoulders above any of the other Star Wars writers. But another thing which I think is that it is about time that the Star Wars books, at least in terms of continuing the story stopped. I mean it seemed a good idea and it was when it started, but now I think that the tales are going on a bit too much. How about giving the poor Star Wars galaxy a few decades of peace and prosperity to recover from the battering it has been getting for the past few decades? And this from a Galaxy that supposedly was in peace for centuries before Palpatine. For example, Han Solo would now be in fact 70 if we look at his age properly. Never mind been a dad, he could have an adult grandson. He certainly couldn't act the way the writers of the tales seem to think he could. But I couldn't help but smile when Mara Jade was killed. I wouldn't have done a few years ago, but I did when I heard.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
ya at this rate they'll have to change the long in "A long time ago... In a galaxy far, far away." The new books will say "A while ago... in a galaxy far far away."
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Born of Hope (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help