Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Is a LOTR musical really necessary? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Is a LOTR musical really necessary?
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Finger of fate pointed LOTR music towards Finland

Helsinki Sanomat

The Finns get a bit hysterical with excitement when any native does something of interest to the rest of the world. []

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elorian
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5217
posted      Profile for Elorian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An opera about Numenor, or Tuor's wanderings, or Turin's saga, or Beren & Luthien, or even the Kin-Strife would serve much better.
Fantastic idea! You've just inspired me. Musicals are over-rated; operas last forever. But hey, at least they didn't let Sondheim write the LOTR musical...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Dios es, eso es suficiente.

-Gabriel Garcia Moreno

From: Gondor, of course! :) | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's your last chance for anyone to see the Toronto show. Too expensive, the critics didn't like it, and the fans didn't go see it. The fat lady is about to sing.

Huge 'Rings' Show to Close - CNN

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
About time. This coupled with the Toronto Gathering of the Fellowship finiancial fiasco pretty much spells the end of Toronto's attempt at cashing in on Tolkien.

[ 08-08-2006, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Psst, Snowdog. I think you linked to the wrong thread. [] []
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Right.... fixed.

So did they get alot of takers for paying extra $$ for that?

And those on the website I linked to on that thread must have been such good cash cows that the creators of said website are now panhandling their citizens for dosh ... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arisimi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4131
posted      Profile for Arisimi   Email Arisimi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, does anyone remember many, many months ago when I first got on here and equated a LOTR musical with .....was it pizza flavored ice cream? Well, some of you ( [] hopefully jokingly [] ) said that they would like those together.
Here's what I equate it with now: seeing as how people are staying away from a LOTR musical, that means.....PIZZA FLAVORED ICE CREAM DOESN'T WORK! []
There are just some things that should be left alone..... or at least left seperate.

From: Never-Never Land | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mithrennaith:
quote:
Well, he didn't. Not exactly. He might have thought more than twice about it, if he had known they would end up with Zaentz.
I don't know the details regarding the sale of the rights. How did Zaentz end up with them?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that this play is coming to London. Indeed it is here now. I wonder if it is worth going to. Someone did actually say that it was very true to the book, which should please some of the purists.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrhael
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5522
posted      Profile for Tyrhael   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someone did actually say that it was very true to the book, which should please some of the purists.
For an _accurate_ review (spoilers included, though), I suggest you look at this, which I stumbled upon.
From: northern CT | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Swordmaster
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1302

posted      Profile for The Swordmaster   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread may have died quite long ago, but having seen the play at the weekend, my answer to the title of the thread:

No, it's not necessary, but it is good!

It's not really a musical though, or at least not in the traditional sense. It's a stageshow, with some music.

From: Paphos, Cyprus!!! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Is a LOTR musical really necessary? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help