Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Is a LOTR musical really necessary? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Is a LOTR musical really necessary?
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I got my e-mail this morning from Gathering of the Fellowship about the LOTR musical coming to Toronto in 2006. Tickets are on sale. But I am not so sure I am even interested in such a difficult, bombastic production of one of my favorite books.

I have to ask if this is even really necessary. I mean why bother? We already have the films. We have comics, artwork, action figures, CDs, Tolkien-named rock bands, calendars, etc. A production like this takes too much time and money. For a full evening performance I have to wonder how much of the story will be cut, what scenes will have the songs (each lasting 5 minutes), and how much of the 3 books they are doing, considering they are using the overall title of LOTR.

Will this production even play more than one week? You might as well have A.L. Webber doing it. Varttina sounds like a good match for the music, but is A.R. Rahman a composer you think of for ME? Yes, he's great for films like "Lagaan" and "Bombay Dreams". But for LOTR? I would have preferred someone like today's film composers: John Williams, James Horner, Eliot Goldenthal, Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard... Who is even going to go all the way to Canada just for this? Might as well get some prescription medicine and check out a hockey game, or a gay wedding ceremony while you're there.

Finally, I'll just say I disapprove of this musical. It is not necessary to the development of Tolkien fandom. An opera about Numenor, or Tuor's wanderings, or Turin's saga, or Beren & Luthien, or even the Kin-Strife would serve much better. That's what's needed; not a turgid rendition of something we already know about.

[ 07-28-2005, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Angathas ]

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I am not so sure I am even interested in such a difficult, bombastic production of one of my favorite books.
What you mean the musical or the Gathering? [] []

Musical (generally) = bad idea []

LOTR musical = even worse idea [] []

Given the current state of musicals AND adaptations, I find this attempt at milking more from the Tolkien teat utterly laughable. I can imagine the "show-stopping" From a Distance (Arwen's Theme), and the finale, We're All Hobbit's Now... [] It's frikken Camelot meets Cats. []

As to whether it's "necessary", no art is necessary. Let the public will decide if it's worth it or not. This will be like any other fan-based adaptation -- it's guaranteed to have people lined up to see it on opening night, so who cares if it sucks?

[ 07-28-2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Vëarenen ilnutin nardar."

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be harsh or anything but I'd hang the person who'd do it. I mean J.R.R. Tolkien didn't mean it for singing purposes.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's frikken Camelot meets Cats.
[] [] [] [] []
You say it like that would be a bad thing.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
CATSALOT! I love it. []

"I wonder what the Cat, is doing, tonight?"

On second thought, let's NOT go to "Catsalot;" 'tis a SILLY play!

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a) No, a LotR musical isn't strictly speaking necessary. b) Yes, a LotR opera could be an interesting phenomenon. c) Whatever. If people pay to see this thing, that's really their problem now, isn't it?

*humming*
I wanna live in Lothlorien,
I wanna live in Lothlorien...

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but aren't there LIMITS?
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not when there's a great big teat to suckle on for years and years...

Is this another Zaentz monstrosity. Must be. I don't think the Estate would greenlight something like this. My God, what a disaster the day the Professor sold the rights to Zaentz. []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*will now have "I wanna live in Lothlórien" stuck in her head for the rest of the weekend*

I: I'll take a boat down to Durin's Stone!
II: If there's a boat you can ride on!
I: I will see Haldir and Rúmil there!
II: Everyone there will have moved here...
Together: OY! I WANNA LIVE IN LOTHLÓRIEN!
I WANNA LIVE IN LOTHLÓRIEN!....
[] [] []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but aren't there LIMITS?
You know if there's potential profit to be made, there will allways be someone there to do it.
From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Just look at the Chia pets []
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Silmahtar:
My God, what a disaster the day the Professor sold the rights to Zaentz.

Well, he didn't. Not exactly. He might have thought more than twice about it, if he had known they would end up with Zaentz.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5083
posted      Profile for Earion   Email Earion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I hate musicals...so no.
From: Gondor, the last free Kingdom of Men | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At least they won't have to recast Legolas.. Orlando Bloom singing "I'm so pretty" from West Side Story is a natural..
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who thinks there should have been more singing in the Wingnut films?
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out I'm seeing this production in a couple weeks. [] [] []

I'll give you my review after Feb. 10th.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

Well, that's odd...

Somehow looking forward to it though

Elentari KYM
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3644

posted      Profile for Elentari KYM   Email Elentari KYM   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skeptical but i wouldnt' say anything yet until i've seen it or heard reviews of it...
seemed like it was an immense project and... maybe dancing hobbits would kind of work? kind of?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Aurë entuluva!" ~Hurin

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." ~Galadriel

"You must choose, Beren, between these two: to relinquish the quest and your oath and seek a life of wandering upon the face of the earth; or to hold to your word and challenge the power of darkness upon its throne. But on either road I shall go with you, and our doom shall be alike. " ~Luthien, The Silmarillion

From: over the Western sea into Valinor | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Curtains Up For Rings Stage Show

[ 03-23-2006, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So... the premiere is this evening. I have to remember to search for reviews tomorrow. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's frikken Camelot meets Cats
CATSALOT*
 -

*Play named by WiKi

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on opening night. It was truly awful. And four hours long, to boot. []

E: rather, I saw the "premier", back on Feb. 20th. Maybe they still hadn't worked a lot of kinks out. (E.g., there was a technical glitch with the fancy rotating stage at one point, so that the Voice of Eru was suddenly heard, Will the cast members please vacate the stage?)

I suspect (and hope) that they cut out some scenes so that it's not still 4 hours.

[ 03-23-2006, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so that the Voice of Eru was suddenly heard
[]

I believe this idea was doomed to failure...

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[W]hen the 3 1/2-hour, $28 million behemoth finally comes to an end, you may find yourself fighting back tears, but they'll be ones of disappointment.
Toronto Star
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will the cast members please vacate the stage?)

[] divinities, you can never know what they're going to say ... []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Is a LOTR musical really necessary? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help