Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Illuminating the Lay of Leithian (Page 1)
Author Topic: Illuminating the Lay of Leithian
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I decided, without any perticular reason, to illuminate (the artwork that goes along with caligraphy) the Lay of Leithian. All of it.
I'm typing the text so it won't take me years but it still takes me about an hour per page average. And I'm guessing there will be about 200 pages total when I'm finished. I've been working for 3 days now and I only have 5 pages completely done, 10 with the gold border done but without any other type of art.

And I have no idea what I'm going to do with it other than it's unlikely I will keep the dam* thing.

And will someone kill me please. I don't need to do this kind of thing.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
posted      Profile for Mavis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You may not need to, but I'm sure it will keep you occupied in times of boredom and someday you'll be able to look back on it and say, 'It may have taken forever, but it sure was worth it.' I'm sure it will turn out great. []
From: Stuck in a mental mire | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

posted      Profile for Arorë Silvertongue   Author's Homepage   Email Arorë Silvertongue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'm glad you think it will be worth it. I'm sure if it ever gets finished it will be great. But I'm still not sure over 200 hours will be worth it...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to; while things that are uncomfortable, palpitating, and even gruesome, may make a good tale, and take a deal of telling anyway.
~J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Home. For now. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Here are some pictures:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page3.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page4.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page5.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page6.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page7.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page8.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page9.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/760525/page10.jpg

Tell me what you think please.

Mavis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4652
posted      Profile for Mavis   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the fourth one from the top best, but they are all lovely. One question though: what is the little design thingamajig on, say, the sixth one down?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

From: Stuck in a mental mire | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice! [] How about next time you go for the high resolution scans instead of the camera pics [] []
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Mavis - That's one of my favs too. They're just some random designs I pulled off the computer and the border comes from a book of celtic art.

Fingolfin - I would scan if I had a scanner available. My brother's is broken as far as I know, when it's fixed, however, I will use it.

Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
whoa!!!! that looks great!!! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
when i try to be somthing i am nothing. when i am true, im exactly who i wanna be...

From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive []
Btw, what in God's green earth motivated you to do this, is there a logic behind the madness? Now that that is said, so long as you have it on your computer you could print out a few other copies and give them as gifts! []
E-WAIT, the lay of Luthien was never finished. How are you going to end it.

[ 08-08-2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Thalion ]

From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Thalion - Nope, no logic. I just up and decided I wanted to do it. And considering it's not on my computer (they're digital photos...) I won't. Maybe I'll be able to get a digital copy using my bro's scanner (note to self: get digital copy!!!) but I don't know about printing, I don't have a color printer...
And I'm doing "The Gest of Beren son of Barahir and Luthien the Fey called Tinuviel the Nightingale" from the Lays of Beleriand. Not the Lay of Luthien from LotR.

Ranger - I'm glad you like it so much!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good work. I bet you could sell them for a tidy sum if you could work out a way of manufacturing them with reasonable speed (tho' mebbe copyright wd be a problem). Do you know this quotation from JRRT's Letters?

quote:
. . Once upon a time . . I had a mind to make a body of more or less connected legend . . I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds, wielding paint and music and drama.
Letter 131, 144-5.

Sounds like you have Tolkien's 'permission'!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Nope, never heard of that quote before. Never read letters. I might sell this one, but I don't know if I'll make another. It takes about forty-five minutes average per page.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'm doing "The Gest of Beren son of Barahir and Luthien the Fey called Tinuviel the Nightingale" from the Lays of Beleriand. Not the Lay of Luthien from LotR.

I thought it seemed a little long! [] I am kidding, I figured you were using that one, but as far as I recollect, that version only goes to about where Beren gets his hand bitten off. What are you going to do after that?

Also, I must not have been thinking very clearly, I for some reason was just thinking of the text. Or something like that, actually I am not really sure what I was thinking []

From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Not continue. What else? I just want to do what's in there. It's insanity, what rules apply to that?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
Well, I gotta agree with that.
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What a nice idea. Though maybe a shorter work would have been less insane. [] Reminds me of that chap who was going to translate the Bible into Quenya. [] Like he couldn't have started with America or something a bit shorter?

Still -- I think the pages are very pretty.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Yeah, shorter would have been much less insane. But where's the fun in that. Glad you like the pages though.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive looking.

May I ask: are you doing all the calligraphy as well, or is the text printed?

I'll wish you luck and enjoyment with the project, at any rate. Please keep us informed of how it's going!

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

No, the text is printed... still - that means I'm typing all of it... but not quite as insane as trying to do it with pen and ink... I do smaller projects that way.

It's going okay. I have so much I'm doing I have little time for it so I've only gotten a little furthur. I've typed a few more pages and printed them but haven't gotten around to painting them yet.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In case you didn't know and it would be helpful, there exist scanned versions of the text floating around on the internet. You'd still need to do your own formatting, and they're not completely error-free (especially where there ought to be accented letters), but it might still be faster for you than typing it from scratch. If you like, send me an email and I'll send you a link, the relevant part of the Lays, or both.

I keep on meaning to try my hand at calligraphy again (possibly Tengwar calligraphy, if I'm feeling ambitious). I'm rather inspired by your efforts.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Well, if I had internet on the computer I'm using that would be a great help. I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't have internet at home... []

Well, I'm glad you're inspired. I do some caligraphy work in tengwar. I just sent a peice of it off to The Ranger, maybe he'll scan it... but most of the caligraphy I do in english as I know the letters better.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

You couldn't use a floppy or something to transfer the text over? (just trying to be helpful here)

I still tend to make mistakes when I write in Tengwar, which annoys me. I could probably do with the practice.

Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Nah - I work at on a library comp but thanks anyway. []

An idea is to take a printed list of all the letters (and their equivelants) around with you and just write random things in tengwar. I learned in math class, well and that and drama. I also have a tenwar font on my computer (I wasn't stupid enough to try transliterating the Lay as well....) and that has helped a ton.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Oh, I know the Tengwar - that's the problem. I still make mistakes, and then only realise a couple of minutes later.

Tengwar fonts are quite nice.

Arorë Silvertongue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3570

Then, practice is even more important. And a pencil might help []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~J.R.R. Tolkien

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Illuminating the Lay of Leithian (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help