Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Tolkien Based Bands (Page 1)
Author Topic: Tolkien Based Bands
Cellscells
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1373

posted      Profile for Cellscells   Email Cellscells   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have discovered several bands that have Tolkien themes in their names... just curious if anyone has heard of them.

From darklyrics.com I have found:

Mordor
Cirith Ungol
Cirith Gorgor
Gandalf
Galadriel
Elbereth
Elvenking

Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Tenth Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2930

posted      Profile for The Tenth Nazgul   Email The Tenth Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WOAH! Those are real bands? That's cool!
*runs to go look them up*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nine he gave to Mortal Men, proud and great, and so ensnared them. Long ago they fell under the dominion of the One, and they became Ringwraiths, shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants. And one innocent bystander bought an exact replica of one of the rings on E-BAY, and he became the Tenth Nazgul. He then took over the Dark Diocese to honor his nine "colleagues."

From: My Beloved Dark Diocese | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are some more... The Tolkien Music List

[ 02-23-2004, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Maerbenn ]

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aredhel Isilrá
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3149

posted      Profile for Aredhel Isilrá   Author's Homepage   Email Aredhel Isilrá   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Gandalf is a finnish band... I once read an article about it.. I'll check it out..

Edit
Gandalf:
quote:
swedish style melodic death riff, finnish melancoly and darkness and Kreatorin Mill reminded trash-munch

[ 03-31-2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Aredhel Isilrá ]

From: Etelä-Pohojanmaa; Finland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Morgoth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4371
posted      Profile for T. Morgoth   Author's Homepage   Email T. Morgoth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
almost the entire black metal scene is inspired by Tolkien. lots of bands and bandmembers use names from Tolkien. I also use the name T. Morgoth in my band.
but not all those bands have Tolkien inspired lyrics.

here you can find lots of Black Metal bands:

http://www.myrrthronth.de/main.htm

From: belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elrond
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4242
posted      Profile for Elrond   Email Elrond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I only know of two;

Led Zepplin did a couple of Tolkien Songs, including "The Misty Mountain Hop".

Does anyone know if former police band mate Sting got his name after Bilbo/Frodo's blade???

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A."

From: Wilmington, NC | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harlow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4068
posted      Profile for Harlow   Email Harlow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great list but somehow i highly doubt Midnight Rider by thr Allman Brothers was about the LOTR lol
From: Everywhere you want to be | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Amon Amarth
Burzum
Ephel Duath
Gorgoroth

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Gandalf , LP 'Gandalf' (1968,USA)

The Hobbits, LP 'Men and Doors' (1968,USA)

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Morgoth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4371
posted      Profile for T. Morgoth   Author's Homepage   Email T. Morgoth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
lots or more bands:

Dagorlad
Mor Dagor
Sauron
Isengard
Rivendell
Morgul
Burzum (former Uruk-Hai)
Forlorn
Arathorn
Amon Sul
Arkenstone
Balrog
Khazad dhum
Minas Morgul
Minas Tirith
Moria
Morthond
Nazgul
Ork
Shelob's Lair
Ugluk

From: belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valmordae
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3796
posted      Profile for Valmordae   Author's Homepage   Email Valmordae   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dont forget Morgoth. I saw that band somewhere. I think they were German though!
From: Pandæmonium | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ringthane
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3
posted      Profile for Ringthane   Author's Homepage   Email Ringthane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Shadowfax is another...
From: Lombard, IL, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valmordae
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3796
posted      Profile for Valmordae   Author's Homepage   Email Valmordae   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Flotsam & Jetsam" too. Hey wasnt that name in the "Little Mermaid"?? I was playing Kingdom Hearts and saw that the names of the 2 eels were Flotsam & Jetsam. Coincidence, or Tolkien Fans at Disney?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n."
-Paradise Lost

From: Pandæmonium | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ringthane
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3
posted      Profile for Ringthane   Author's Homepage   Email Ringthane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just on Amazon.com and was notified that a new album called "Silmarillion" is coming out by a violinist named Jan Hruby.
From: Lombard, IL, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Morgoth
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4371
quote:
Dont forget Morgoth. I saw that band somewhere. I think they were German though!
it was a german death metal band, but they don't excist any more
Morgoth the Merciless
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5463
posted      Profile for Morgoth the Merciless   Email Morgoth the Merciless   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nightfall in MiddleEarth by Blind Guardian is the best Tolkien inspired music by far. Elvenking is a most excellent band, yet they have nothing to do with Tolkiens lore, they just like the woods and such. Another band worth checking out is Freternia, or nightwish. Alot of the bands suggested above really have nothing to do with Tolkien either, most are just idiotic black metal bands that couldnt think of a name so they took something from LORT or the Silm, or what have you. Gorgoroth is expecially the worst of them.
From: thunder bay ontatio | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beregond of Ithilien
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5431
posted      Profile for Beregond of Ithilien   Email Beregond of Ithilien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
the Brobsingnagian Bards have a good Memories of Middle-earth cd
From: Minas Tirith originally, banished to Ithilien | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lothlorien

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Long before the movie, Enya did a song called "Lothlorien," while Styx had a song called "Lords of the Ring."

quote:
I also use the name T. Morgoth in my band.

Are they a goth group? []

[ 08-31-2006, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nazgûl
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5516
posted      Profile for Nazgûl   Author's Homepage   Email Nazgûl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
lol we almost named our band Rohan or The West Fold
From: Boston | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] []
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, does anyone know whether are there any copyright restrictions on using Tolkien's names?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. There was a famous case regarding a guy using the name "Gandalf the Wizard Clown" getting sued by Iron Crown or Tolkien Enterprises or someone. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit:
quote:
Clown, Tolkien estate square off over name
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Jan 28, 1997 by LARRY MCSHANE
Gandalf the Wizard Clown sits, bereft of his sorcery and his smile.

Gandalf better known to his Long Island neighbors as 41-year-old Michael Kaplan has been waging a costly, three-year trademark battle against a powerful force: the estate of writer J.R.R. Tolkien. At issue is Kaplan's right to use the name Gandalf.

"They've been bullying me," Kaplan says, surrounded by a raft of legal papers intermingled with videos of his clown shows. "I'm up against all of their money. I realize that." Kaplan has already spent $10,000 in his fight. A federal board must now decide: Is Gandalf exclusively a wizard battling evil in Tolkien's fictional Middle Earth? Or is he also a suburban children's entertainer? Kaplan's Gandalf has been twisting balloon animals at birthday parties since 1974. Kaplan says the two Gandalfs have one thing in common: Both took their names from 10th century Norse mythology. That, he claims, makes the name part of the public domain. He further asserts that his use of the name predates the Tolkien estate's trademark protection filing by two years. Daniel L. Kegan, a Chicago attorney for Tolkien Enterprises, strongly disagrees. "What he appears to believe are his two main points are wrong on the facts, wrong on the law, and stubbornly so," Kegan says. In his negotiations with the Tolkien estate, Kaplan rejected a deal requiring him to pay a one-time $3,000 fee plus an annual $2,000. He lined up a pair of historians to verify Gandalf's 1,000-year-old Norse roots. Kegan was unimpressed: "Ivory has been around as an English word for a long time. That doesn't mean you can make Ivory Soap." Tolkien's 1937 "The Hobbit" and his subsequent trilogy "The Lord of the Rings" introduced his heroic Gandalf. Kaplan argues that means nothing to his grammar school clients. "They don't know Gandalf from Bozo," says Kaplan, an elfin presence at 5-foot-5. Kaplan discovered his affinity for show business at 13 when he began visiting a New York City shop once frequented by Harry Houdini. He invented his balloon-twisting Gandalf six years later. It was an inauspicious start; because of a typographical error, his magazine ad promised "ballroom sculpture." "Hey, I got the ad for free," Kaplan says. In 1993, the Tolkien estate got wind of Kaplan's character in a direct-mail ad. A lawyer called. "I tell him I'm not Tolkien's Gandalf," Kaplan recalls. "He tells me there's only Tolkien's Gandalf, and they own it, and I shouldn't be using it. And I told him, `Why don't you bother somebody with money?' " A decision from the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board appears at least a year away, and appeals could stretch the not-so-epic battle into the next century. Kaplan has no plans to back down. "I keep getting angrier and angrier, madder and madder and madder," he says, no hint of the happy clown on his face. "And at some point I decided, `What have I got to lose?' "

[ 09-13-2006, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's journalist is committing an error often made by those not researching the subject properly: confusing The Tolkien Estate with Tolkien Enterprises. The two are quite seperate things: The Estate represents the (business) interests of the Tolkien family as heirs to his copyrights etc., Tolkien Enterprises is Saul Zaentz, who bought the movie and merchandising rights to LotR and (to a certain extent) The Hobbit (and licenses them to NewLine in turn). The lawyer, representing Tolkien Enterprises, has got nothing to do with the Estate, he represents Zaentz, not the Tolkien heirs. Zaentz is known for 'protecting' his business interests in an agressive way. He doesn't get away with it always, though. He tried to stop a small e-mail provider (who also has a separate Tolkien-site) from using the name 'Shire mail service' and related domain names, and failed.

There is another error of confusion involved: that of copyright with trade-mark. Zaentz (Tolkien Enterprises) has registered many Tolkienian names (and 'Lord of the Rings') as Trade Marks, mainly in the USA only (and possibly Canada). The Gandalf case was about Trade Marks, witness the involvement of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Kaplan's objection of "Gandalf" being in the public domain (which it undoubtedly is, just as "Shire") is a copyright defence, which has no real value in Trade Mark law.

So, no real answer to Silmahtar's question.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's Gandalf the Wizard Clown's website.

http://www.magicforpets.com/

At the bottom it says:
quote:
Gandalf the Wizard-Clown is a trademark of Tolkien Enterprises and is used, under license, by Gandalf the Wizard-Clown, Inc.
It appears that Tolkien Enterprises got control of the entire name "Gandalf the Wizard-Clown," but he is allowed to use it.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Tolkien Based Bands (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help