Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Led Zeppelin used Tolkien in song. (Page 2)
Author Topic: Led Zeppelin used Tolkien in song.
Kalluin Peredhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2168

posted      Profile for Kalluin Peredhel   Email Kalluin Peredhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Other "classic rock" bands, for example, the Moody Blues, have Tolkien references in their songs. Moody Blues lead singer Justin Hayward even said that he wrote "Tuesday Afternoon" (on the Days of Future Passed album, it is called "Forever Afternoon: Tuesday?") after being inspired by Tolkien. That song contains the lines, "The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why. Those gentle voices I hear explain it all with a sigh." Justin said he wrote it about "a beautiful afternoon, trees like Tolkien's Ents, who take hours just saying hello."
From: The Last Homely House | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting, I wonder what other bands have Tolkien references. Just gonna have to check my lyrics.
From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daefindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3155
posted      Profile for Daefindel   Email Daefindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an addition to my post about T-rex and Tolkien. The two founders of the band named themselves Steve and Bolan Peregrin Took. They took this name because of their admiration for Tolkiens world. If I get something new I'll let you know.
Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalluin Peredhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2168

posted      Profile for Kalluin Peredhel   Email Kalluin Peredhel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can give you some more Tolkien references in songs as well ...

The Allman Brothers' "Midnight Rider" has a line which says, "And the road goes on forever." Enya has a song called "Lothlórien" on her album, Shepherd Moons. Maurice Gibb of the BeeGees wrote a song called "Journey to the Misty Mountains." The Grateful Dead have a song on the Aoxomoxoa album called "Mountains of the Moon." Barclay James Harvest have a song called "Galadriel" on their Once Again album. Hawkwind has a song called "Dream Worker" on their album, Choose Your Masques. You already have the three Led Zeppelin songs -- "Ramble On," "The Battle of Evermore," and "Misty Mountain Hop."

Mountain put out a live album called Live: The Road Goes On Forever. Rush has two Tolkien-related songs: "Rivendell," on the Fly by Night album, and "The Necromancer" on the Caress of Steel album. Styx has a song called "Lords of the Ring" on an album called Pieces of Eight. Ten Years After has a song called "Hobbit" on a live album they did. On a more modern note, an album by Toad the Wet Sprocket, In Light Syrup, has on it a song called "Hobbit on the Rocks."

The fabulous Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman put out an entire album of Tolkien-inspired music called Landscapes of Middle Earth. And finally, lest we forget, Leonard Nimoy -- yes, he of Star Trek fame -- released a 45-inch single called "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins," the lyrics to which I may still be able to find if anyone is interested.

From: The Last Homely House | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel Lomëwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2343

posted      Profile for Estel Lomëwen   Author's Homepage   Email Estel Lomëwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rush has a lot of Tolkien songs, I've heard... also Kevin Max of dc talk, who's apparently a big fan. I love finding out that two people I admire also admire each other, or stuff like that. I forgot who, but someone once wrote that it was like discovering that two friends knew each other in another life. []

EDIT: Styx has a LOTR song??? [] I LOVE Styx! *runs off to hunt through her dad's old records*

[ 01-30-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Estel Lomëwen ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I'm on fire, when You're near me
I'm on fire when You speak
And I'm on fire burning at these mysteries

From: in a sunburned land... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missbaggins
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2531
posted      Profile for missbaggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
wow there's so many Tolkien inspired songs - brilliant! I read an interview with Kevin Max a while ago and he was saying how much he loves Tolkien and all that. It would be cool if he could put it into his music somehow, but then again it might be kinda hard. Yeah. Or maybe he already has?????
From: NI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daefindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3155
posted      Profile for Daefindel   Email Daefindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is group in denmark called the Tolkien ensemble. Caspar Reif and Peter Hall wrote the music for various poems from the Lord of the rings and the songs were performed by several different musicians. The music is absolutely brilliant and (!) HM Queen Margrethe 2. of Denmark made the illustrations for the CD booklet!! If you ever see one of the three CDs' buy it!
Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalluin Peredhel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2168

Just realized that Paul McCartney's "Driving Rain" contains a Tolkien reference ...

"One, two, three, four, five, Let's go for a drive
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten, ooooo
One, two, three, four, five, Let's go for a drive
Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,
Ya let's go there and back again, baby, baby"!

faithy gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2708

posted      Profile for faithy gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email faithy gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I adore Bob Dylan! Do you like him? The majority of my friends say that he can't sing too though.
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY i love bob dylan i have so many of his cd's including "the basment tapes" and slow train coming" those two are personal favourites. oh and led said "ringraiths riding in black" in one of his songs!

[ 02-03-2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: faithwise gamgee ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"your sig is too long"- wgw
"huh?"-faith mauk
this one time, i thought i saw a u.f.o., but it was just a plane, so i waved at it.

From: under a pointy hat. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel Lomëwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2343

posted      Profile for Estel Lomëwen   Author's Homepage   Email Estel Lomëwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently KMax has already scattered a few Tolkien references in his music, although I haven't heard a whole lot of dc talk besides their big hits and whatever's on "free At Last". I keep meaning to burn my cousin's CDs but never seem to get around to it.
Somebody around here knows about that, though. I know they told me once and I forgot - one of the City of Bloom girls. Maybe Neytari. I dunno.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: in a sunburned land... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
About Led Zeppelin:

Okay, we have Ramble On, The Battle of Evermore, and Misty Mountain Hop for sure. I always thought that Robert Plant was drawing a comparison to Elves in Kashmir when he sang:

"To sit with elders of the gentle race,
this world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
and all will be revealed"

EDIT: Also from Stairway to Heaven, this has gotta be Tolkien-influenced:

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.

[ 02-04-2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Iarnar, son of Iarlot ]

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was searching www.mp3.com , when I found a song by Blind Gaurdian called "Lord of the Rings". I like it. A bit weird, but it's good.
From: Northern NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel Lomëwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2343

I agree, Iarnar. I read somewhere that it wasn't meant to be a direct link to Tolkien, but even so I think it just reeks of the Silmarillion. There's something about Tolkien that just gets into your head, anyway, so who's to say there's no connection?

I'm trying to find a site with the "Battle of Evermore" lyrics so those who can't root through their parents' old records to listen to it (like I did when I heard about it) can share in the amazement of how closely it corresponds to ROTK. So far they all have stupid omissions and misspelling sprinkled in, so I'll edit when I find a decent one.

EDIT: Found! The site it came from is all about the little allusions in it, and I would really recommend it. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2406/battle.html

"Battle of Evermore" Lyrics

Queen of Light took her bow
And then she turned to go,
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom
And walked the night alone.

Oh, dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morn-ing light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight
And time will tell us all.

Oh, throw down your plow and hoe,
Rest not to lock your homes.
Side by side we wait the might
Of the darkest of them all.

I hear the horses' thunder
Down in the valley below,
I'm waiting for the angels of Avalon,
Waiting for the eastern glow.

The apples of the valley hold
The seeds of happiness,
The ground is rich from tender care,
Repay, do not forget, no, no.
Oh, dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morning light.

The apples turn to brown and black,
The tyrant's face is red.

Oh the war is common cry,
Pick up you swords and fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad
That mortals never know.

Oh, well, the night is long
The beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise,
Waiting for the eastern glow.

The pain of war cannot exceed
The woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall,
The ringwraiths ride in black,
Ride on.

Sing as you raise your bow,
Shoot straighter than before.
No comfort has the fire at night
That lights the face so cold.

Oh dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the mornin' light.
The magic runes are writ in gold
To bring the balance back.
Bring it back.

At last the sun is shining,
The clouds of blue roll by,
With flames from the dragon of darkness
The sunlight blinds his eyes.

[ 02-05-2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Estel Lomëwen ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can picture the final battle of the ring while reading these lyrics.

It sounds like a poem that one could find in a work of Tolkien.

From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an extensive list of Tolkien inspired music.
Tolkien music list
[] []
 -

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is alot of music. I just thought I'd add that a few weeks ago I was searching in the $2.99 bins at my local CD selling place...thing, I found a CD by a group called Morgana LaFey, and there were two songs, one called "To Isengard" and "The Lord of the Rings". It's a kinda funny album, and it's kind of goth-metal-ish. My mom, also being a Tolkien fan, found a CD by a group called Shadowfax. Though I haven't found any Tolkien references in their songs, I thoughtgroup name was kinda amusing.
From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithy gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2708

posted      Profile for faithy gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email faithy gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
not sure if this was said already but nickel creek wrote at least one song i am aware of about the lord of the rings the one i am thinking of is called "In the house of tom bombadil" it's an instrummental thats bouncey and lively like tom.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"your sig is too long"- wgw
"huh?"-faith mauk
this one time, i thought i saw a u.f.o., but it was just a plane, so i waved at it.

From: under a pointy hat. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

Now that I was listening to the radio Smashmouth came on singing "All Star" and there was one verse with a Tolkien reference.

quote:
all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

Estel Lomëwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2343

Eh... does that really count as a Tolkien reference? I mean, it's a terribly common saying. I don't really think that bit in "Stairway to Heaven" is either, because in my mind "all that is gold does not glitter" is 180 degrees from "all that glitters isn't (or "is", as the case may be) gold".
Just my 2 cents' worth. []

Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

You have a good point. But many people do twist things that they get from culture
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would you then count Marilyn Manson's 'all that glitters is cold?' [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Vanima i metta nauva, nan anda ar sarda nauva i mallë.

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

I'm not a Marilyn Manson fan but he probably did twist that phrase to fit in his song.
Roll of Honor Snaga
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2945

posted      Profile for Snaga   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All that glitters is gold
Ah, no offense here, but this one originates from a slightly more famous British writer - care to guess?

Hint - initials are W.S.

From: Mordor - upper east side | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

William Shakespear probably did use this phrase first. I'm open to that suggestion. But is'nt it possible that Tolkien may have used phrases from W.S. for ex: all that glitters is gold. but reworded it to all that is gold does not glitter.
Just a suggestion.

Estel Lomëwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2343

LOL, gold, cold, is, isn't... my head is spinning!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Led Zeppelin used Tolkien in song. (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help