Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Led Zeppelin used Tolkien in song. (Page 1)
Author Topic: Led Zeppelin used Tolkien in song.
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Any Zeppelin fans ever noticed how they reffered to Tolkien in their songs?

From Stairway to Heaven

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.

From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel Lomëwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2343

posted      Profile for Estel Lomëwen   Author's Homepage   Email Estel Lomëwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I love that! Like "Battle of Evermore" - if you actually listen to the lyrics it reads just like the Battle of Pelennor Fields. And "Misty Mountain Hop"... and "Ramble On" (in the depths of Mordor I met a girl so fair/ but Gollum and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her)...

I could have sworn, though, that there was another thread here about this once. I remember posting there. Did it just die the long, drawn-out death of old threads, or what?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I'm on fire, when You're near me
I'm on fire when You speak
And I'm on fire burning at these mysteries

From: in a sunburned land... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
GAH! Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever (Note the reference to Jimmy Page with "ZoSo"...). Hah, in an interview w/ Sean Astin on Conan O'Brien they started talking about how "All the ending of LotR was given away in Zeppelin songs...", 'twas funny.

[ 01-22-2003, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: ZoSo Red Queen of Gamwich ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"But I love him, whether or no."

H.A.R.C. President and founder...because (some of) you hate her as much as I do.

From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesBrennan331
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3033
posted      Profile for JamesBrennan331   Email JamesBrennan331   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i noticed Led Zeppelin's references. Other bands such as The Who and Cream also have refrences. Just shows how cool Tolkien is.
From: Midland Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I bet if you used the Search feature you could find several threads on this []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard it suggested that "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix refers to the battle at Helm's Deep:

All along the watchtower,
Princes kept their view (Aragorn)
While all the women came and went (Eowyn)
Barefoot servants too. (Pippin)

Outside in the cold and distant lands (Mordor?)
A wild cat did prowl (The Nazgul)
While riders were approaching (The Rohirrim)
The wind began to howl.

[ 01-22-2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Eleanor Gamgee ]

From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I might be mistaken, but I believe "All Along the Watchtower" was written by Bob Dylan. It has been performed and recorded by many, but I am fairly certain he wrote it. See here...
From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. My mistake. You're right, that song was covered by a lot of bands (I got my lyrics from the cover by Dave Matthews Band), but I thought Jimi Hendrix wrote it first.
From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dylan definately wrote it, although i like the Hendrix version the best by far.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nacilwen Ostrocundo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2858
posted      Profile for Nacilwen Ostrocundo   Email Nacilwen Ostrocundo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
led zeppelin is definatly the coolest band ever... Robert PLant was hot... and they like tolkien! what is there not to love
From: did i mention i like scissors? | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are many cool things you can learn from listening to Led Zeppelin
From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aredhel Isilrá
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3149

posted      Profile for Aredhel Isilrá   Author's Homepage   Email Aredhel Isilrá   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Led Zeppelin and Balck Sabbath are the all time rock band ever!

What about Blind Guardian and Summoning??
Are they worth of listening??

From: Etelä-Pohojanmaa; Finland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

posted      Profile for ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I never ever realized that there were Tolkien references in All Along the Watchtower! *smacks self in head* How silly of me! And yes, Led Zeppelin is the single greatest band in the history of the Universe. Yep.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"But I love him, whether or no."

H.A.R.C. President and founder...because (some of) you hate her as much as I do.

From: Rhode Island, yo! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthein
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3162
posted      Profile for Luthein   Email Luthein   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love Led Zeppelin!!!!!!!
I've been listening to them all of my life. My three favorite songs are Battle of evermore, Ramble on, and (of course) Stairway to Heaven.
I am starting a band. We're going to play lots of Zeppelin!!!!! I'm looking forward to singing Plant's lirics too!!
Lossefalme
Of the Mirkwood elves

From: Lothlorien | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daefindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3155
posted      Profile for Daefindel   Email Daefindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure about this but I think that Trex has also some references.
Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZoSo 'Ice Cold' Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2465

What is Trex?
I had no idea so many people like Led Zeppelin! I have been listening to them since I was born, b/c my dad loved them too. My favorite songs are "Ramble On", "That's The Way", "D'yer Mak'er", "Thank You" and "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp".

Ani Locobitz
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3034

posted      Profile for Ani Locobitz   Email Ani Locobitz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You can definitely hear the word "Ringwraiths" in the Battle of Evermore. First time this happened, I went into shock for days.

Led Zepellin rocks.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I throw Palantiri.

From: Tuckborough, the Shire | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daefindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3155
posted      Profile for Daefindel   Email Daefindel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
T-Rex is a 70's Rock band, I remember to have read that they were using elements of Tolkiens books in their lyrics. Unfortunately I know only one song of them which is called children of the revolution, but this one has defenitely nothing to do with Tolkien.

If you want more info use the link below!
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/music/mu1229.php

Eruantalon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2969

posted      Profile for Eruantalon   Email Eruantalon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What did they said about him ? I've never heard these songs .
From: Germany,Schmallenberg | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruantalon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2969

posted      Profile for Eruantalon   Email Eruantalon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What did they said about him ? I've never heard these songs .
From: Germany,Schmallenberg | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daefindel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3155
My only source is a web- page I found, and I am still trying to find it again. I will post the link as soon as possible
faithy gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2708

posted      Profile for faithy gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email faithy gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I might be mistaken, but I believe "All Along the Watchtower" was written by Bob Dylan. It has been performed and recorded by many, but I am fairly certain he wrote it. See here...
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT do you like bob dylan? most of my freinds say "he can't sing"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"your sig is too long"- wgw
"huh?"-faith mauk
this one time, i thought i saw a u.f.o., but it was just a plane, so i waved at it.

From: under a pointy hat. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

posted      Profile for Andreth   Author's Homepage   Email Andreth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I adore Bob Dylan! Do you like him? The majority of my friends say that he can't sing too though.

[ 01-29-2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Andreth ]

From: Dorthonion | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*loves Dylan too*

And he can't sing. Sorry, my trained classical soprano self is speaking here. But honestly, he can't. Do you hear how miserbly off pitch he is in "Hey Mr. Tamborine Man", or basically any of his songs, for that matter?

But that's not the point - his terrible voice actually adds to his songs, in my opinion.

His great talent is in songwriting - he's a ~brilliant poet, and that is where the power of his songs lie.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Andreth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1613

quote:
Do you hear how miserbly off pitch he is in "Hey Mr. Tamborine Man", or basically any of his songs, for that matter?
I hear it, loud and clear. Well, not so clear really. But as you said, his power is in his words. The best show I ever went to was when I saw him at the Puyallup Fair a few years back. It was amazing. And his songs are ever relevant.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Led Zeppelin used Tolkien in song. (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help