Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Pipe Weed vs. marijuana (Page 2)
Author Topic: Pipe Weed vs. marijuana
Radagast the Squib
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3200

posted      Profile for Radagast the Squib   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well done!

*applauds* []

From: Somewhere in Mirkwood | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crate
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3930
posted      Profile for Crate   Email Crate   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't see why there couldn't have been trading going on with the Haradrim.
Snow, if men from Rohan didn't know about Hobbits, how on earth are men of Harad? It's the only way they could get coffe, but since Hobbits hardly leave the Shire (apart from the obvious ones) and the men of Harad wouldn't go so far north (They'd freeze because they wouldn't have the right clothing) I doubt there would be much trade going on there.

Crate

From: Newcastle, England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ninj
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 681
posted      Profile for Ninj   Email Ninj   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are you trying to suggest that Tolkien was advocating the use of mind altering drugs in the books? The man fought hard (and thankfully succeeded) against his own opium addiction early in his life, and I find it offensive and insulting that you think he might promote such a lifestyle in his works.
From: The magical elven realmadi-blah-di-blah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i think it isn't like marijuana because marijuana is smoked in a bong not a pipe.

Uhm... if memory serves(from my college days), pot is smoked in bongs, cigarettes, and pipes. In fact, I believe there isn't any combination of pot/fire/recipticle not proven by stoners. []

Ninj- The Professor had an opium habit? I've never heard that! Where did you get that information? I must say... it makes Legolas' hallucinatory mushroom theory more plausible! []

[ 01-05-2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Singollo of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crate
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3930
posted      Profile for Crate   Email Crate   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I just realised that, I was smoking weed out of a pipe on new years eve! What have you been smoking?

Crate

From: Newcastle, England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, sorry Crate- these days, life is my drug of choice. I've even rid myself of evil tobacco.

Though my past is another matter all together! []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but Crate, even though the Hobbits didn't trade with the Haradrim directly, they could have gotten the coffee from Bree, through Men who traded with the Haradrim.
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crate
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3930
Good point Snow, I didn't think of the men of Bree, in fact I had forgotten them....I'm sorry don't hurt me. []

Singy: My years of drug abuse are just starting now though, since I'm in my mid-teens. I am extremely high today, but just because of the fact that school was cancelled because the heating was off and we are having really cold weather at the moment, which is good really since I have about eight pieces of course work to do for tomorrow (as if I'm going to do them though!)

Crate

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i think it isn't like marijuana because marijuana is smoked in a bong not a pipe.

Ummm.... I smoked many a lid with a pipe.... and what was in the pipe was weed, hence pipeweed. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ninj, I have never hear of Tolkien having an opium habit either. What is your source?
From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Squib
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3200

posted      Profile for Radagast the Squib   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The opium addict is true....

The source is an R.E book at school

From: Somewhere in Mirkwood | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK - what's an "R.E book" []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radagast the Squib
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3200

Religious Education textbook....He was in it as he is a famous christian
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Was that an opium addiction or an opiate addiction? I believe he, like so many soldiers wounded in WW1 became addicted to morphine, which is made out of opium. The difference is opium is smoked, whereas morphine is injected. It was widely used back then as the pain-killer of choice, and the addiction was not self-caused.
From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cannabis Sativa is an herb that is non addicting, and it is NOT a gateway drug I dont care what the DEA may have led you non tokers to believe. Also, It has many healing properties, it helps ease a variety of ailments. I don't see why Hobbits smoking the Herb is such a big deal? Don't you think that an ancient people would use this herb as a form of medicine

Maybe the "pipeweed" that the hobbits smoked was not mary jane,but I can bet Athelas (or Kings Foil) was Ganj.

Just a thought.
-DB

EDIT: Spelling

[ 01-15-2004, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Durin's Bane ]

From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I can bet Athelas (or Kings Foil) was Ganj.

Nope! Go and read the description, it has long and broad leaves from memory totally different from grass []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
haha this is a funny thread, I agree unless tolkien specified it was one thing or another, why couldnt it have been weed, and i dont really remember tolkien mentioning effects(goes back to check)so i dont know why that keeps coming up. You gotta just deal with it, hobbits do love to blaze []

[ 01-15-2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Thalion ]

From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree unless tolkien specified it was one thing or another, why couldnt it have been weed
Tolkien did specify what pipe weed is: tobacco.

Reposted from first page:

Here is a quote from The People's of Middle Earth
quote:
There is one thing more about these hobbits of old that must be mentioned: they smoked tobacco through pipes of clay or wood. A great deal of mystery surrounds the origin of this peculiar custom...

[ 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4172
posted      Profile for Thalion   Email Thalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ok you win.
*looks for an exit*

From: Hiding in a Filing Cabinet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one Tuor [] []
End of story []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harlow
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4068
posted      Profile for Harlow   Email Harlow   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The good professor probably didn't mean anything by pipe weed other than tobacco or similar... PJ was just having fun with the idea introduced in the sixties that it was mary jane (why don't people say mary jane... its so much funnier than the other words)... and it was wicked funny, bravo peter
From: Everywhere you want to be | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cannabis Sativa is an herb that is non addicting, and it is NOT a gateway drug I dont care what the DEA may have led you non tokers to believe.
This reminds me... I need to get down to that thrift store and buy the Reefer Madness DVD they had! []

Oh, of course its tobacco, but it sure is fun having discussions about it. Otherwise there would be no point in posting anything since Tolkien said this or that.

From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a funny discussion. But Tuor has made the final point, I guess (party pooper [] ). Our perspective may be as well a bit flawed from our perspective, after Huxley, Hofmann and Wasson etc. made their appearance on stage from the 50's on. It is my personal opinion that Tolkien wouldn't have been opposed to mind altering substances (when used in a way the persons above promoted), but the books were probably written too early for this having a place in them. I also believe that holds true for the Mushroom-discussion, but who knows?
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
I wonder what the effects would be if one smoked Athelas???
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know all this is far off track, but before entheogens became stigmatized, the idea of curing mental diseases by the help of psychedelics was quite accepted. Just think of how psychotherapists treated their patients with LSD and eventually broke self-destructive patterns. Hofmann himself has stated that his discovery LSD may be used combined with meditation/contemplation to be "reborn", or healed. The same idea applied to Mescaline, Psilocybin and other natural substances. I wonder how connected nature and man really are in the process of mankind's evolution, and how plants influenced culture and religion.
Oh well. I'm digressing.

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Pipe Weed vs. marijuana (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help