Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Pipe Weed vs. marijuana (Page 1)
Author Topic: Pipe Weed vs. marijuana
Sharicon Melnibone
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2887
posted      Profile for Sharicon Melnibone   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to know where Peter is going with this Marijuana reference throughout the movie. I mean..."your love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind" whats with that?
Pipe weed is clearly a tobacco as stated in the books. What is Peter thinking? Anyone?

From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruatur
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3144

posted      Profile for Eruatur   Email Eruatur   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The fact of the matter is that we don't know what Tolkien's intentions were in the inclusion of Pipe-Weed... We do know this; JRRT lived in a time a bit different from our own. In early 20th century England, there was no "War on drugs," as we have in the US today. It is also well known that throughout history, people have drank, eaten and smoked many things for various effects. SO, though Pipe-Weed is certainly not the same thing as Marijuana, I'd bet that it packs a bit more of a punch than the tobacco you or I may smoke (nasty habit though it may be).

Heheheheh.... My first post, yay!

From: RI, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This thread should probably be in the movie forum, but I would like to reply to Eruatur's first post. By the way, welcome to MT!

The fact of the matter is that we don't know what Tolkien's intentions were in the inclusion of Pipe-Weed...SO, though Pipe-Weed is certainly not the same thing as Marijuana, I'd bet that it packs a bit more of a punch than the tobacco you or I may smoke (nasty habit though it may be).

Here is a quote from The People's of Middle Earth
quote:
There is one thing more about these hobbits of old that must be mentioned: they smoked tobacco through pipes of clay or wood. A great deal of mystery surrounds the origin of this peculiar custom...

[ 01-18-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Fraggle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2663
posted      Profile for the Fraggle   Email the Fraggle   Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to say that clearly hobbits were stoners. They smoked a half-tobacco/marijuana substance, and I would also like to ask, what kind of mushrooms were they so fond of???
From: on a computer | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbits were ....stoners????? lol, I think not.
From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Fraggle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2663
Ok just druggies or the ME equivalent to one.
From: on a computer | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2413

posted      Profile for Talan   Email Talan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*
From: Austin, TX. Home of awesome. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*echoes Talan*
From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trojen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3010

posted      Profile for Trojen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Listen, Gandalf's mind was clearly, not slowed.(no pun intended)
In the book he was much wiser and careful about telling Sauruman anything. They had a very inteligent battle of mind and words, (unlike the terrible idiodicy of the movie).
Anyway, Sauruman smoked it himself.

Regarding the film, I don't believe Gandalf's mind was affected there either. I think it was merely an insult.

Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dunadan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1617
posted      Profile for Dunadan   Author's Homepage   Email Dunadan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
and also the minds of the hobbits did not seem to be impaired any more than usual [] This implies that pipe-weed had pleasing and calming effects, but did not physically or mentally impair the smoker (Aragorn ran for three days straight chasing the Urak-hai, and he smoked).
From: near Bree, recently set off to the East | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Fraggle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2663
I'm not saying that any of these things impaired their minds, I'm just saying that the effects of it are clearly not tobacco. It is something original that is somewhat like weed without the mind slowing side effects and is somewhat like tobacco without the addictive side effects. It is something that tolkien seems to have altered from marijuana and tobacco in order to get a more peaceful drug.
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not saying that any of these things impaired their minds, I'm just saying that the effects of it are clearly not tobacco.
What effects are you talking about?

As far as I'm concerned, if someone believes that the hobbits smoked anything but tobacco and ate ordinary mushrooms one might buy in a store, all it does is reflect on the individual drawing the conclusion. If one wants to see something, one can see almost anything.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, tobacco inhibits appetite, whilst ganja increases it. This might explain the hobbits' propensity for eating all day long.

[]

No, seriously, it wasn't pot. That notion was adopted by the hippies in the 60's, who, as was said, could read what they wanted into the story. Then it was adopted by the D&D nerds in the 70's, who hid in their parents' basements with their bongs.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was extremely happy when this thread went for months without a single responce... showed just how stupid a question/comment it was...

I'm rather sad it's gotten this much attention... And upset that I decided to post in it even to say what I did...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"'Kill!' shouted Ford. He shouted it at his towel.
The towel lept up out of Harl's hands.
This was not because it had any motive force of its own, but because Harl was so startled at the idea that it might."
--Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruatur
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3144

posted      Profile for Eruatur   Email Eruatur   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alright... I'm sorry this thread exploded out of control. I probably just should have let well enough alone and nobody would have ever heard from it again.

I just want to say, one more time, that Pipe-weed is neither tobacco or marijuana. However, the only reason anybody would smoke it would be for the pleasant effects. This does not make The Hobbits 'stoners' as some people obviously believe. And for Saruman's comment to Gandalf, it was only might to be light-hearted jabbing among old freinds (very different for the conversation they had in the novel).

From: RI, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are many herbs in this world that may have an effect similar to marijuana. But to say that Hobbits smoke tobacco is totaly wrong. First of all tobacco was discovered in South America. I don't believe that tobacco could have made it's way to Middle Earth from Columbia. To say that pot was the substance in thier pipes is also incorrect. Weed was used in Mexico and South America aswell, but I do beleive that the pipe weed that was smoked had a pleasing soothing calming affect. And caused "munchies".
From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Falco Chubb Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2683

posted      Profile for Falco Chubb Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I don't think there is any real intent to suggest the weed is grass, more that the weed relaxes you (like tobacco), allowing time to contemplate. As someone has already highlighted, Saruman smokes himself, and this exchange between the two of them is reference to Tolkiens writings regarding their relationship. Saruman smoked in private, and did not wish for Gandalf or any others to know - alot of which demonstates Sarumans secret inferiority complex with Gandalf!
From: Suffolk, England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is referred to as tobacco in The Hobbit, so that would probably make it so. Then again, the hobbits are drinking coffee in that book. Wonder where they got that from?
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas the elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 55

posted      Profile for Legolas the elf   Email Legolas the elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What is up with Jackson and pipe weed being intoxicating? Anyone else notice at the beginning of RoTK movie Merry and Pippin at Isengard seem high? Merry speech is kind of slurred and he acts overly happy.

Yeah, Pipe Weed is also referred to as 'tabac'..or something short like that. I've always thought of it as tobacco.

Now, the mushrooms on the other hand.....for an indepth discussion on farmer maggot's shrooms check out my thread in 'Lord of the Rings' book forum. []

[ 12-21-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Legolas the elf ]

From: Wooded hills of Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else notice at the beginning of RoTK movie Merry and Pippin at Isengard seem high? Merry speech is kind of slurred and he acts overly happy.
I thought that they were slightly drunk.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas the elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 55

posted      Profile for Legolas the elf   Email Legolas the elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're right...surely just the wine.
From: Wooded hills of Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConfusionStar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2336
posted      Profile for ConfusionStar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"You smoke too much, Pippin!"
From: Appaloosa Land - Battlefield World | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kailash
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 666

posted      Profile for Kailash   Email Kailash   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pipeweed is not marijuana.
As has already been pointed out, it was referred to as tobacco as well.
Additionally, Tolkien smoked tobacco from a pipe at a time period when the consequences were not widely known. Tolkien also would probably have had little knowledge of marijuana, and was always uncomfortable with the fact that people in the hippy movement loved his writings.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

From: Northlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hobbits are drinking coffee in that book. Wonder where they got that from?

Most probably Harad.

I don't see why there couldn't have been trading going on with the Haradrim.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Ring of Barahir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3457

posted      Profile for The Ring of Barahir   Email The Ring of Barahir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i think it isn't like marijuana because marijuana is smoked in a bong not a pipe.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I have only three words to say: D'OH!!!and Homer rocks!

From: munchkin land were I am king! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Pipe Weed vs. marijuana (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help