Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" -- Cool or Uncool? Thoughts? (Page 2)
Author Topic: Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" -- Cool or Uncool? Thoughts?
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I bought it again last year, whilst waiting for FoTR. I remember some vague satisfaction with Bakshi's version, but then again, I was smoking lots and lots of prohibited substances at the time. I must have gone to see it 5 times or so, and at that time, there was a general consensus that no one could do a better job at this than Bakshi. I remember waiting for part 2 to come out, and it never did. I never really did find out why, as my life was in flux at the time, and I actually had 'no fixed address' (i.e., I was homeless). When I had seen it a couple of more times in a local repertory theatre in Montreal, I arrived at the conclusion that the movie was terrible (took me long enough...musta been the weed...). I remember thinking that the book was waaaay too massive in scope to attempt to do it with real actors, and that it was unlikely that it would ever get remade. I learned of the present movies in 1999, when a Kiwi on my former recording site told me about it. I was like 'WAAAAHOOOO!, but still wondered how they were gonna pull it off.

Aaaanyway...there are parts to it that aren't bad. Bakshi's Bree is closer to Tolkien than PJ's; the Nazgul are not bad, but when they are chasing Frodo to the fjord, their jiggly eyes gave me migraines. The hobbits seem too la-di-da, especially on their walk to Bree. And what was Sam doing in that bush? And why didn't they look at the ring after Gandalf threw it into the fireplace? I think Bakshi was smoking a wee bit too much too, if you know what I mean.

I watched it with Miriel this summer, and I found it emotionally flat.

Any Canadians out there want to buy my copy?

[]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the LotR on DVD for christmas. And it really is AWEFUL! I love the Hobbit, and I watch RotK when i was very little so i grew to enjoy it. But this was... eww.
Some of the pats made me sick to my stomach, just to watch. Literally. To much fast movement with that weird art which is live action/animation.

I truely dislike it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Support cows named Bob, if you don't who will?
Save a Cow, eat a Chicken!

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In school, we watched the beginning of The Fellowship in school. It got up to Bree before the teacher turned it off, and I, well let's just say I sincerely disliked it. When Bilbo was having trouble giving up the Ring, calling it "his precious" and all, the voice-acting was terrible! Sam beinga bumbling idiot was a bit amusing the first few minutes of him, but then it just sunk in. Just ick. From that brief view of it, I hated it.
From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lurtz
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3026
posted      Profile for Lurtz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the animated LOTR was hilarious!
From: Isenguard | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roxette
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2363

posted      Profile for Roxette   Email Roxette   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have requested the Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King from my library. I want to see if they are really a bad as people say.
From: I can see Manhattan from my.... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I recently watched this film again after a few years and surprisingly, I didn't find it that bad at all. Some parts were a bit tedious, but it stays more true to the book than the recent films. I rated it 7/10 on IMDB (I rated FotR 9/10 and TTT 8/10).
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Though it didn't live up to its billing, I have to say Bakshi wasn't as bad as many have claimed. One thing I have to give to Bakshi over P.J. is the way the Uruks moved on Helms Deep. I thought that P.J. had them too organized.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snaga
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2945

posted      Profile for Snaga   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing I have to give to Bakshi over P.J. is the way the Uruks moved on Helms Deep. I thought that P.J. had them too organized.
Hi Snowdog - do you mean real Uruks or CGI? I simply do not like some of the CGI armies - it is too computerish and/or the movements are too perfect or mathematical looking if that makes any sense.

Regarding Bakshi, I actually enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy the current movies - nowhere near perfect, but nice to see the stories come to some vision no matter how flawed.

Seriously, if we could do a adjusted comparison of PJ vs. Bakshi by leveling them off for available funding, Bakshi would shame PJ to death! I mean, if you told JRR they had $300,000,000 and had to botch the plot, what do you think he would say?

From: Mordor - upper east side | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durin's Bane
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1700

posted      Profile for Durin's Bane   Author's Homepage   Email Durin's Bane   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The worst thing about Bashki's LOTR was that they quit in the middle of the story. I also didn't like how they poetrayed Sam or Treebeard.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Pour me somthing tall and strong, make it a hurricane before I go insane. It's only half past twelve, but I don't care, it's five-o-clock somewhere.

From: New Mexico USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, it stayed fairly close to the novel, but this movie really didn't do it for me.

It had no soul.

The voice acting was so incredibly wretched that any of the feeling it might have had became cheesy and trite.

Sam's character was downright offensive, I felt, and Gandalf did some rather stupid things himself.

Nonetheless, it was a momentous effort, and Bakshi deserves some credit for that, at least.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Curufin, I agree with you that the Bakshi version did not draw the viewer in emotionally. It gave the impression of an art film, playing with the visual effects but lacking soul. I had always thought of the hobbits as more human and the wraiths as nonhuman. To see a reversal was a creative twist.
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One thing which annoyed me to no end was all the characters' sweeping gestures. With every line they spoke they would wave their arms about like a windmill in a hurricane. Can't they just sit still?
From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sam's character was downright offensive
Hear hear, Curafin! I am willing to cut PJ a lot of slack because Sam Astin's Sam is so wonderful - but the Bakshi Sam was embarassing to watch. I am sympathetic to the difficulties Bakshi labored under, but he'd get a lot more sympathy from me if he hadn't made my favorite character into the village idiot.

[ 03-10-2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel Elessar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2989
posted      Profile for Estel Elessar   Email Estel Elessar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it very much! It was my favourite when I was a child, and the Italian voices are better than the English ones. Usually I like more English voices, this is the only exception! The Saruman/Aruman thing is quite embarassing. Fortunatelly in Italian is always Saruman.

Estel Elessar

From: Italy | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roxette
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2363

posted      Profile for Roxette   Email Roxette   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie and I am very dissapointed. It was horrible.
From: I can see Manhattan from my.... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this for the first time the other night. My wife and I rented it on Netflix.

Wow, just wow.

We about fell out of our seats laughing when Aruman/Saruman revealed his colors or whatever that was. And the balrog... and Gollum's voice... and Galadriel... and Native American Strider.

And the movie didn't end?! Supposedly, Bakshi wanted it to say "part 1" in the title but the productions folks decided it would keep people from going to see it.

But hey, at least C3P0 did the voice for Legolas.

So yeah, it was awesome. I should have seen it years ago!

From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What about the Viking Boromir and the men in hot-pants?

That being said, I don't think "Fritz the Cat" is any worse of a film-producer than the "Heavenly Creatures," they both made Arda Marred without even trying.

[ 08-27-2011, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Watched up until Moria yesterday, and was really surprised at how much PJ ripped off from Bakshi. The way PJ staged certain scenes was the same way Bakshi did it 30 years prior. And I'm not talkng about the stuff where both followed Tolkien closely but things where the director had some creative leeway. Hiding from the Ringwraith under the tree root, the Nazgul attack in Bree, Boromir teaching swordplay to the hobbits, and the Smeagol/Deagol flashback. There were others but I can't recall them all now (shoulda taken notes) []

It was a hell of an undertaking for 40 years ago so I'm hesistant to be too critical, but suffice it to say, the actors were dreadful, Sam was painful to watch, and Aragorn/Geronimo was downright laughable. Even so I plan on watching the rest today, it's the whole rubberneckin' at a car crash scenario I guess.

EDIT:
Another scene apparently jacked by PJ was the intro with the 3,7 & 9 being given to the Elves, Dwarves & Men.

Also, Bakshi has inadvertantly settled the whole "Do Balrogs have wings" question. By giving his Balrog wings and having him fly around Moria it makes it clear, a winged Balrog wouldn't fall into an abyss, it would just fly out. Thus the question becomes.. what kind of Balrog falls into an abyss? The answer of course.. a wingless Balrog.

[ 03-02-2013, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Watched up until Moria yesterday, and was really surprised at how much PJ ripped off from Bakshi. The way PJ staged certain scenes was the same way Bakshi did it 30 years prior. And I'm not talkng about the stuff where both followed Tolkien closely but things where the director had some creative leeway. Hiding from the Ringwraith under the tree root, the Nazgul attack in Bree, Boromir teaching swordplay to the hobbits, and the Smeagol/Deagol flashback. There were others but I can't recall them all now (shoulda taken notes)

It was a hell of an undertaking for 40 years ago so I'm hesistant to be too critical, but suffice it to say, the actors were dreadful, Sam was painful to watch, and Aragorn/Geronimo was downright laughable. Even so I plan on watching the rest today, it's the whole rubberneckin' at a car crash scenario I guess.

EDIT:
Another scene apparently jacked by PJ was the intro with the 3,7 & 9 being given to the Elves, Dwarves & Men.

Also, Bakshi has inadvertantly settled the whole "Do Balrogs have wings" question. By giving his Balrog wings and having him fly around Moria it makes it clear, a winged Balrog wouldn't fall into an abyss, it would just fly out. Thus the question becomes.. what kind of Balrog falls into an abyss? The answer of course.. a wingless Balrog.

Ah yes, I had these same recollections about the swordplay and the intro the first time I viewed the PJ movies. I was one of those who actually went to a theater to see the Bakshi cartoon. It was a big deal back in the 70's. And yes, A wingless balrog would fall into an abyss unless it had useless wings maybe?
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And yes, A wingless balrog would fall into an abyss unless it had useless wings maybe?
Spoken like a true naturalized Australian. Are you suggesting the old half balrog, half ostrich argument? []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Naw, because Balrogs don't stick their head in the sand.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They might bash their brains against the rocks of Moria for a few ages, however!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" -- Cool or Uncool? Thoughts? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help