Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" -- Cool or Uncool? Thoughts? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" -- Cool or Uncool? Thoughts?
Naquellion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2874

posted      Profile for Naquellion   Author's Homepage   Email Naquellion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a lot of Tolkien fans that did not like the 1978 Bakshi cartoon/live action film! I personally like to see anyone's vision of Tolkien's world! If you will look closely, Peter Jackson took many of the scenes from the cartoon movie and created his scenes almost exactly in the same way...
What do you think about the movie...did you like it? Did you dislike it? What do you think about Peter Jackson's using Bakshi's ideas?

From: Henderson State University | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first time I saw it... in the movie theatres as a child. I LOVED it! I was just so happy to see my favourite books on the big screen, it was fascinating. But, a couple of months ago, I rented it. I was so disappointed, it really does not survive the test of time.

I think it was great at the time it came out, I mean c'mon... lets not get down on Bakashi: anybody who takes on the mammoth task deserves our respect. But it is kind of silly, by today's standards.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I inhaled. That was the point." -Barack Obama

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I HATED IT!
it was possibley the worst made and poorly directed piece of crap I've ever seen! and I thought that as a child! a very young one at that!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naquellion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2874

posted      Profile for Naquellion   Author's Homepage   Email Naquellion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, when I was very young, the nazgul in the cartoon movie gave me the creeps!
I'm like a lot of people, I watched it many years after the time when I was a boy and did not remember the movie being so horribly made! However, I have to give Bakshi his credit for imagining up his scenes and his attempt to add the live action!

[ 12-11-2002, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Naquellion ]

From: Henderson State University | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that movie was pretty lame. The crazy hair, the flamboyant gestures, the balrog...

And look what he did to poor Sam! They made him a bumbling idiot! Sam was my favorite character in the books, and it was an outrage to see him portrayed as such a buffoon. Poor Sam. []

If you'd like to read a really funny review of the movie, check this out:

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

From our friends at the Tolkien Sarcasm Page!

quote:
Everybody in this movie has unspeakably big hair. Pounds and pounds and pounds of it. I swear, I keep waiting for Gandalf to fall over under the sheer weight of it. And Saruman... it's perhaps better not to even talk about Saruman. I mean, he shouldn't have even been able to stand up.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~
"When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain that the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation. [...] It's a lot easier to blame things than to fix them." --Calvin

From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really fair to judge an animated cartoon that came out in 1978 by today's standards.

It's not Pixar we're talking about here - Bakshi didn't have computer-enhanced animation at his disposal.

That said, I think the real weakness of the Bakshi movie is that the actors are WRETCHED. I've honestly rarely heard lines delivered so badly.

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need computer animation to make a good cartoon. Look at Disney. Snow White is an excellent animated movie, even by today's standards. It was made in, what, the late 30's?

Bakshi's animation was pretty rough, especially the rotoscoping scenes where he used live action footage. Plus, the voice acting was awful. I wanted to cry every time Sam said, "Mistah Fwodo."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~
"When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain that the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation. [...] It's a lot easier to blame things than to fix them." --Calvin

From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Imrahil of Dol Amroth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2866

posted      Profile for Imrahil of Dol Amroth   Author's Homepage   Email Imrahil of Dol Amroth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the DVD a few weeks ago. I expected it to be bad, but I was shocked at just how awful it really is. The voice-over work, the animation, the retroscoping: all terrible. I do like the score by Rosenman, though. That is the only good thing about the movie. Really the only reason I bought it is that it is Lord of the Rings.
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naquellion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2874

I have to agree with Gandalf...
There are so many things about this movie that I hate and consider a joke, but the fact remains to me that it is The Lord of the Rings, whether it does Tolkien justice or not!

GimBill
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2658

posted      Profile for GimBill   Author's Homepage   Email GimBill   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I went out and bought Bakshi's LOTR, The Hobbit, and RoTK on DVD all at once, and I just sat and watched them in order. I absolutely LOVE the Hobbit. The music, and animation, the fact that they don't dwell from the book that much. LOTR was ok. The animation was interesting, but I think the worst part is that they made the characters look a LOT different then what I imagined (except for Legolas). Plus, I liked the scene with Galadriel and the Mirror a LOT better than the one in the current version. It was just like I pictured it in the book. Galadriel laughing while she's on that rant, and I think that's what happened, and it makes more sense with the character, in my opinion. RoTK was ok. VERY much in the style of the Hobbit, but that's probably because the same folks did it. [] I like that Gollum a lot better, too. I know the one in the current movies is more humanoid, but I like the Gollum with the big, pale green disc eyes. [] But, I think i'm done with my little rant here. I hope my opinion is appreciated, and if it's not, oh well. [] I still love you all.
From: The Heart of Yawgoog! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrispyCream
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1701

posted      Profile for ChrispyCream   Email ChrispyCream   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is it hot? it is not!
From: Australia, land of milk and honey... and some cement. | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Way back then we were all so excited that this movie was coming out! At the time Ralph Bakshi was the "hot" animator and everyone had high hopes that he would do right by LOTR. Some of the scenes, mainly in the Shire, are very well done, with beautiful backgrounds. It's been years since I watched it, but I recall liking Bilbo's party. It appears Bakshi started well, ran out of money, and rushed the rest. Helm's Deep in particular was an incomprehensible mess, and Bree was stylistically jarring. In addition, the studio did not even bother telling us that the movie told only half the story, so a lot of fans felt duped.

And the characters! OHHHHHH I HATED THAT PORTRAYAL OF SAM! [] [] [] Poor Boromir: here he is the son of the ruler of the most powerful city on ME and they dress him in skins and a weird horned helmet (love the Tolkien Sarcasm page take on Boromir - it's worth checking out that link above)! I must say I was relieved to see Sean Bean looking like he really was the son of the Steward of Gondor.

To be fair, though, from what I have read it sounds like Bakshi had his back against the wall and was forced to make a lot of compromises - not that that excuses his Sam.

[ 12-14-2002, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

Hear, hear.

I'm going to disagree with GimBill here. I thought the portrayal of the temptation of Galadriel was rather (to put it bluntly) stupid. She sort of giggles and sashays around her mirror, and delivers her lines in a singsong sort of voice. Curiously, throughout her ballet performance, Sam looks completely petrified. I guess Bakshi wanted to let the audience know that the Ring would be BAD if Galadriel had it? Shouldn't he have showed Galadriel being angry, rather than looking like Clara from The Nutcracker?

One of the scenes I enjoyed the most (in a non-appreciative sort of way) was the Ringwraiths pursuing Frodo. They race after him, then, inexplicably, stop. I kept thinking that it must be some primitive, Middle-Earth version of "Red Light Green Light". []

btw, is it just me, or did Legolas look like an albino with buck teeth?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~

Falco Chubb Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2683

posted      Profile for Falco Chubb Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I Love it!, its just another interpretation. I love the 'live' animation even if it does look a little dated now.
From: Suffolk, England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I take exception with everyones bashing the "big hair" in the Bakshi version!

Like Dolly Parton said: "The higher the hair, the closer to God/Eru"!

[]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I inhaled. That was the point." -Barack Obama

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
oh please, what about Gollums voice? what about that disgusting prologue? Boromir? Sam? Legolas? half naked Aragorn? Bilbo? Elrond? the council? botched face-lift Eowyn? I couldn't stand to watch the entire story, I stopped right after the taming of Smeagol and I only watched that far because I wanted to see my names sake in action.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrispyCream
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1701

posted      Profile for ChrispyCream   Email ChrispyCream   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What about Saruman! He`s sucked oh my god! he looked like John Hammond from Jarassic part... and i think someone mentioned his gigantic hair... eww
From: Australia, land of milk and honey... and some cement. | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DioR
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2924

posted      Profile for DioR   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was plain trash pure and simple. First of all, if they were going to make a Tolkien movie you would think they could get the pronounciation of words right! But apparently reading the appendices and putting a little effort in was just too much work for Bakshi and his team. Celeborn is "Seleborn", Saruman varies between Saruman and "Aruman", Sauron is "Sore-on" it's terrible. And what's with Legolas? He looked much more cartoonish than the rest of the fellowship with his huge bambi eyes. I guess Bakshi cannot follow the descriptions in the book because instead of a great eye on fire, the eye of Sauron is a kalideoscope (sp?). Nenya shoots out sparkles and colors everywhere, Sam looks like the ugliest Hobbit alive, oh the list could go on and on forever. And the animating over live action stuff was really, REALLY bad. I don't know what these people were thinking, but it turned out to be crap.
From: Menegroth | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

and the sad thing is: I thought it was Sell-a-born for the longest time...actually until I saw the extended cut of the new film did I actually get it right...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Roxette
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2363

posted      Profile for Roxette   Email Roxette   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
oh please, what about Gollums voice? what about that disgusting prologue? Boromir? Sam? Legolas? half naked Aragorn? Bilbo? Elrond? the council? botched face-lift Eowyn?
ROTFLOL!! [] Now I have to see it even if its the worst movie of all time.
From: I can see Manhattan from my.... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

it really isn't worth it, I watched it again for the same reason, but I regretted my decision almost immediatley.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Aragorn186
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 428

posted      Profile for Aragorn186   Author's Homepage   Email Aragorn186   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say- UNCOOL.
I mean it was a great idea of his to create an animated movie of lotr, but I hate it when any lord of the rings character is portrayed as a buffon, bumbling idiot, or just plain stupid. Sam was one of those. My final word: Great Idea, Poor Effort.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To the discomfiture of the Shirriffs Frodo and his companions all roared with laughter. "Don't be absurd!" said Frodo. "I am going where I please and on my own time."
www.1337guide.com
www.1337guide.com//forum

From: GA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roxette
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2363

posted      Profile for Roxette   Email Roxette   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well maybe I should just reant it.
From: I can see Manhattan from my.... | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

I just rented it, and believe me I've rented alot of movies that were bad, but I usually look on those as "well at least now I know" sort of things, with Bakshi's movie I regretted ever seeing!

[ 12-20-2002, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Gollum the great ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

ChrispyCream
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1701

Yeah when i rented i was really scared that i would get image of Bakshi`s characters stuck in my head next time i read the book... So i only watched up to the balrog and that was enough for me!By the by they didn`t!

[ 12-20-2002, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Saruman of many colours ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Ralph Bakshi's "The Lord of the Rings" -- Cool or Uncool? Thoughts? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help