Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Do you recomend any of the past film productions for the sake of reviewing....
Author Topic: Do you recomend any of the past film productions for the sake of reviewing....
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen the old movies ( or the new ones obvoulsy). all i want to know is is it worth it to rent them so than i can see how bad they are for my self.
From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!?!?!?!?! Any one there???

------------------
illi mens est minsera, qui nec vivit
nec lascivit
sub Estatis dextera.

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read any of the older topics?

Here's a summary...

Hobbit = Good
LotR = Insanely Bad
RotK = Not Quite As Bad.

Anyone else want to elaborate?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If I were Warg, I would NOT see any of these medicore-to-awful productions before Peter Jackson's film trilogy came out. You don't want these lousy efforts in your head as you're watching the new, big budget effort.

Trust me- if you wait 'til 2004 to see them, you won't be missing much.

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jester
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 12
posted      Profile for Jester   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tough question...none of them will prepare you for the movie, or in any way make up for not having a real movie yet.

IMHO, the Rankin Bass Hobbit was well done, and is worth seeing. The Rankin Bass Return of the King is not as well done, but it was meant for a childrens audience, and is not nearly as close to the actual book as the Hobbit.

Bakshi's LOTR is hit and miss. Some of the voice acting is very good, some is downright awful...and the animation style is mediocre at best. Most of the parts that it shows (not nearly enough of them) are quite close to the book, but it was edited badly I think, and seems very disjointed and confusing, not flowing well at all. It's worth seeing once, as long as you keep in mind that it is not a perfect efort.

------------------
Did you hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, paranoid insomniac who stays up all night wondering if there really is a Dog out to get him?

From: Long Beach | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a French site that has a lot of scans from the Bakshi LOTR film:

FrenchBakshiLOTR

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Bakshi's LOTR is hit and miss. Some of the voice acting is very good, some is downright awful...and the animation style is mediocre at best. Most of the parts that it shows (not nearly enough of them) are quite close to the book, but it was edited badly I think, and seems very disjointed and confusing, not flowing well at all. It's worth seeing once, as long as you keep in mind that it is not a perfect efort."
Yes, I have to agree with this. In hindsight, the technology wasn't quite there for a good animated LOTR in the late 70's. It busted its budget and too many quick edits and cuts were made without enough thought to get it released. Having come to theatres a year or so after The Silmarillion was released, we book fans were hungry for more Tolkien. Sadly, with Aragorn's Robin Hoodish look, the horned helmet of Boromir, and the sudden ending at Helms Deep, it didn't carry the load. Some things they did well I thought was the orcs, which were much more unruly than those of the PJ movies.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they have now added (real) English subtitles to the 1985 Russian TV version of The Hobbit.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess they have now added (real) English subtitles to the 1985 Russian TV version of The Hobbit
[] Oh dear....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Wine and Dine."
um
"Real"?
[]
*resists clicking the start video button*

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » Do you recomend any of the past film productions for the sake of reviewing....
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help