Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The now-famous critique. (Page 3)
Author Topic: The now-famous critique.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But alas, that just shows what kind of person you are, and you just aren't worth my time. To get so upset and angry over books and movies is just plain silly. You remind me of my ex-wife.
Thats got to hurt... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Is that chimp still chattering? I didn't read it.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is personally attacking someione all you can find to do? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Probably preferable to thinking. []
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
You would know.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
posted      Profile for Anorgil   Email Anorgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And for every purist, there's probably 1000 rabid fanatics who can't shut up about how "great" it is... you'd think they'd never seen a movie before.
Taking a quick look at the reviews of RotK on www.theonering.net, I'd say that the ratio is closer to 100:1. 29 reviewers rated it at 1.4 or lower, and 3,044 rated it at 5.

Maybe I only found the negative reviews because I looked for them...

So I stand corrected.

[ 04-02-2005, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Anorgil ]

From: Illinois or Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I had to go back and read "the review" again, and all I can say at least bakshi made Galadriel look pretty instead of the power-aged haggardy one PJ portrayed.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Bilbo Baggins

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite passages:

-

The Balrog
- It has big red-and-black wings, kind of like a Monarch butterfly.
- It has the head of a big stuffed lion.
- It has big silly-looking feet. In fact, the Balrog is clearly wearing oversized fluffy bedroom-slippers.
...It's also noisy as hell, and makes a lot of big roaring Balrog-style noises. Obviously Bakshi had no access to Tolkien's Letters, particularly #210 to Forrest Ackerman:
"The Balrog never speaks or makes any vocal sound at all... [he] may think he knows more about Balrogs than I do, but he cannot expect me to agree with him."
Most curious, though, is this: unlike the original, Bakshi's Balrog can fly. This addition to the story raises an obvious question: if the Balrog can fly, why didn't it just fly back out of the chasm when Gandalf broke the Bridge?

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
At LEAST Bakshi's Balrog was shrouded in shadow-- but then again, so were all of his monsters. One thing I noticed throughtout Bakshi's LotR, was that the orcs etc. were simply dark, blacked out shapes; the only exception was the cave-troll, which had a green-scaled arm, and a blue-gray foot (which, like in the book, were the only parts of him that you saw).

quote:
I had to go back and read "the review" again, and all I can say at least bakshi made Galadriel look pretty instead of the power-aged haggardy one PJ portrayed.

Absolutely; however that goes for all of the Elves in Bakshi compared to PJ, who made them look rather hideous via insisting on using gangly-looking real, live-action actors, rather than CGI (figuring that it makes them look more "Elvish" and "expressive" than CGI) -- and then getting an actor-award only for the CGI Gollum (who was likewise played by a hideous-looking actor in the live-action portion)!

(Talk about poetic justice.)

Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How was PJ's Balrog not shrouded in shadow?
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
It was doused in gasoline and set ablaze, maybe?

[ 04-28-2007, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
Nope.
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was much more smoke and fire than it was shadow.

Bakshi's film has a lot of problems, but I do like his Lothlorien far more than PJ's, as it seems peaceful and restful, compared to PJ dark, spooky, restive one. Even Bakshi's night scenes in Lothlorien are beautiful and serene--I love the way Galadriel looks against the stars--and he captures Frodo's interaction with her at the pool much more graciously (and accurately) than PJ does.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
It was much more smoke and fire than it was shadow.

I didn't see any shadow; rather, it had visible, tangible dragon-like wings that flapped around-- not regions of shadow at all.

quote:
Bakshi's film has a lot of problems, but I do like his Lothlorien far more than PJ's, as it seems peaceful and restful, compared to PJ dark, spooky, restive one. Even Bakshi's night scenes in Lothlorien are beautiful and serene--I love the way Galadriel looks against the stars--and he captures Frodo's interaction with her at the pool much more graciously (and accurately) than PJ does.
And she IS beautiful-- PJ's Galadriel reminded me of Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction."

Neither one got it right, however, that Galadriel wanted the Ring all along-- not just when Frodo offered it to her.

[ 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
Well, to get back on topic, I think Ralph Bashki gets too much flak. I haven't seen it myself, but it seems that it was made for kids. Wasn't it?
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Bakshi never made kids' movies... just really disturbed-looking adult cartoons.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
And she IS beautiful-- PJ's Galadriel reminded me of Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction."
[] [] []
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
 -  -
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The now-famous critique. (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help