Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The now-famous critique. (Page 2)
Author Topic: The now-famous critique.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though hardly a Tolkien purist, I'm nonetheless constantly irked by the introduction's claim that "the Dark Lord learned the craft of Ring-making" after the Elves had made all the other Rings; but that is not my major gripe about Sauron. Rather, it is the way they make Sauron look. They show the Enemy only as a silhouette, but the silhouette is clear: human, tall, black-robed, and wearing a big helmet with foot-long horns on the top. I mean, he looks like one of the Knights Who Say "Ni", for God's sake. Perhaps the Fellowship of the Ring should have just brought him a shrubbery?

But not so easy, would be chopping down a tree with --- a HERRING!
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
24. Boromir The Hornhead.
Boromir, like Sauron, is wearing a silly-looking horned helmet. I keep waiting for him to say, "Ni!"... or, worse still start singing about Spam. (If Bakshi had filmed Part Two, perhaps we would have seen Denethor demanding that Aragorn prove his heritage by cutting down "the mightiest tree in the forest wiiiiiith... a herring!")

Er, he beat you there... []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5059
posted      Profile for Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Stupid KingofBelfalas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
thats a great movie monty python and the quest for the holy grail
From: Philly | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laithaine
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4928
posted      Profile for Laithaine   Email Laithaine   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it might be easier to choke down when you consider that these movies, in order to be popular, MUST gain the collective approval of the ticket buyers. We all know (it's true) that primarily that means reaching out to the lowest common denominator.

Without a physical manifestation on the screen, I don't think the audience as a mass of viewers would be able to intellecually grasp the level of his evil and the fear he instills. A shadow or a hint of him would not be strong enough for the mostly brainless masses to appreciate how terrible he was..

Think of it this way...Cancer is terrible and horrible right. you know the treatment is painful and that people who have it suffer miserably. But the truth is, you really have no idea how awful cancer is until you see someone in the stages of it. You can read about it, think about it, but you just don't know until you either live it or SEE it.

So, nobody now lives under sauron, and the amorphous threat of him is not strong enough to impact the lowest common demoninator, so I think really they had to be SHOWN how awesome and terrible he was.

as an effect, as wrong as it was for him to be shown at all, I think he looked scary and evil.

Anyway, hope that helps in digestion!

Laith

[ 02-16-2005, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Laithaine ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Strive for Immortality

From: Shadowvale | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Fact: the 3 Harry Potter movies have done as well as the 3 LotR movies. Is this your idea of "gaining the collective approval of the ticket buyers," when the novel of the century can't out-draw some faddish pop-pulp children's fiction?

I also highlyh doubt anyone was frightened by these ridiculous caricatures (mustn't scare the kiddies, remember), any more than they were inspired by the ugly and grubby portrayals of the elves and heroes. A TRULY horrendous portrayal, would have been to portray evil things with a subtle and sickening realism ala the death-camps, famine and pestilence of WWII, while likewise preserving the heroes with a surrealistic grandeur characteristic of legends, rather than the deliberate anti-heroic feel of Monty Python's "Jabberwocky" or "Holy Grail." Simply put, the entire rendering was just plain cheap-- as were the shots taken at Tolkien's mythology.

quote:
Er, he beat you there...
GMTA []

[ 03-06-2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kid movies always do better than they should. It's because they've got a corner of the market all to themselves. Plus HP's fanbase is huge and spans several agegroups. Fad indeed [] It fits right next to LotR as a near-equal (or will when it's finished).
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
HP's fanbase is huge and spans several agegroups. Fad indeed It fits right next to LotR as a near-equal (or will when it's finished).
So did hula-hoops, mood-rings and pet rocks. All fads are popular, otherwise they wouldn't be fads. However HP will never be more than just that.
In fact, each Harry Potter movie has done worse than the last one so far:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $317,575,550
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets $261,988,482
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban $249,541,069

That's a standard tendency of a fad.

quote:
Kid movies always do better than they should.
Which is one reason that PJ made this INTO a kid-movie-- that, and he's incapable of a REAL one.
quote:
It's because they've got a corner of the market all to themselves.
That, and kids are often too young and impressionable to know crap when they see it-- and are often understimated by patronizing film-makers. That's WHY it's easier to make a kid's film.

Actually I liked HP, HATED LotR; HP admitted it was a kid's movie, and didn't try to dumb down the original by being cutsey, bawdy, shockingly crass, disgusting, patronizing, or condescendingly "profound" in order to pander to the younger audience. Also, JK Rowling was still there to defend the integrity of her work, and she reserved creative control over production and casting-decisions (for instance, she pictured Robbie Coltrane as the perfect actor for Hagrid-- and guess who she got? Not some B-movie actor off a cereal box like PJ did, so that he could blow the rest of the budget on special effects). The characters and other things LOOKED and HAPPENED like they did in the book-- it wasn't raped and dissected by some third-rate film-comittee; Chris Columbus just seemed to respect the audience and author a lot more, even though the story was set on a much simpler level.
PJ on the other hand, will only escape hellfire in my book because there isn't any hot enough for him; I first thougth HP would be the stupid, patronizing film and that LotR would be a high-quality classic, however I'll be the first to admit I was wrong on both points.

[ 03-09-2005, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
I think it comes down to this: Steven Spielberg had mechanical lizards, Peter Jackson had expensive props.

quote:
Arthur: Camelot!
Lancelot: Camelot!
Sir Robin: Camelot!
Patsy: "It's only a model."

[ 03-17-2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
PJ's attempt is an enormous improvement on Bakshi's.

And WK, I don't think any Lord of the Rings movie ever made or to be made has even the remotest chance of succeeding in a purist's eyes.

Whether PJ's movie is good or bad, true to Tolkien or not, foolish or fantastic is not important in my opinion. The fact is the movies have introduced countless thousands to Tolkien who may not have discovered him otherwise - kids especially. I'm sure many of them were inspired to get the books and dive in. As a Tolkien fan who truly cherishes LOTR, I think that's great. There's plenty of room in the pool, let those who wish to lounge in the shallow end or use floaties (or slippers) do it. They'll all venture into the deep end, with us, eventually.

[ 03-20-2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Belthronding ]

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
I've heard that argument before too, and it's been addressed: a flawed portrayal gives a flawed first-impression. People drawn to the books by the film don't read the books tabula rasa, so much as use them to augment their already-flawed first-impression, and they end up getting the entirely wrong idea.

It's also been addressed that "it can't be filmed properly;" there's no reason why a fricking producer can't follow details written in plain fricking English-- let alone the overall context-- without imposing his own unqualified slant on everything (such as a "Friday the Thirteenth" type of cult-film action/horror slant from a action/horror cult-film producer).

Here's some descriptions of characters VERBATIM from the book:

quote:
Aragorn:
...He threw back his hood, showing a shaggy head of dark hair necked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes.

...'I see,' laughed Strider. 'I look foul and feel fair. Is that it? All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.'
'Did the verses apply to you then?' asked Frodo. 'I could not make out what they were about. But how did you know that they were in Gandalf's letter, if you have never seen it?'
'I did not know,' he answered. 'But I am Aragorn, and those verses go with that name.'
...the lean face....
...Then Aragorn took the stone and pinned the brooch upon his breast, and those who saw him wondered; for they had not marked before how tall and kingly he stood, and it seemed to them that many years of toil had fallen from his shoulders.

...his carven face with its proud bones and skin like ivory, and the long curved nose between the dark deep eyes....
Tall as the sea-kings of old, he stood above all that were near...
Aragorn: "Little do I resemble the figures of Elendil and Isildur as they stand carven in their majesty in the halls of Denethor. I am but the heir of Isildur, not Isildur himself. I have had a hard life and a long; and the leagues that lie between here and Gondor are a small part in the count of my journeys."

Boromir:
...a tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance... his locks were shorn about his shoulders.
...Boromir stood up, tall and proud...
...The wind whistled and the snow became a blinding blizzard. Soon even Boromir found it hard to keep going....Gimli, as stout as any dwarf could be, was grumbling as he trudged.
...Aragorn was the tallest of the Company, but Boromir, little less in height, was broader and heavier in build.
...In places the snow was breast-high, and often Boromir seemed to be swimming or burrowing with his great arms rather than walking.
...Pippin marvelled at his strength, seeing the passage that he had already forced with no other tool than his great limbs. Even now, burdened as he was, he was widening the track for those who followed, thrusting the snow aside as he went.
His glance strayed to his fallen enemies; twenty at least lay there.
The Three Hunters" carrying Boromir's body to the river: "It was only a short way, yet they found it no easy task, for Boromir was a man both tall and strong."
Aragorn: 'His head so proud, his face so fair,'
Gandalf: "a warrior, and a lord of men."
Faramir: 'His face was more beautiful even than in life.' [Boromir would have been undeniably beautiful among men, being the hardier son of the "beautiful and kingly" Denethor, and Finduilas of Dol Amroth, who was "lady of great beauty" and also of Elvish descent.

Gandalf:
Butterbur: 'He's a bit hasty.'
...an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which a white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots.
... long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
...Gandalf, whom he thought he knew so well... revealed as lords of dignity and power... Gandalf was shorter in stature...his long white hair, his sweeping silver beard, and his broad shoulders, made him look like some wise king of ancient legend. In his aged face under great snowy brows his dark eyes were set like coals that could leap suddenly into fire.

"A deadly sword, a healing hand,
a back that bent beneath its load;
a trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
a weary pilgrim on the road.
A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh;
an old man in a battered hat
who leaned upon a thorny staff."

Elves: So they laughed and sang in the trees; and pretty fair nonsense I daresay you think it. Not that they would care they would only laugh all the more if you told them so. They were elves of course. ... Elves know a lot and are wondrous folk for news, and know what is going on among the peoples of the land, as quick as water flows, or quicker.

Wood-Elves:
Wood-elves... differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise... Still elves they were and remain, and that is Good People.

Elrond:
In those days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief. He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer.
The face of Elrond was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was written the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful. His hair was dark as the shadows of twilight, and upon it was set a circlet of silver; his eyes were grey as a clear evening, and in them was a light like the light of stars. Venerable he seemed as a king crowned with many winters, and yet hale as a tried warrior in the fulness of his strength. He was the Lord of Rivendell and mighty among both Elves and Men.

Frodo: [Frodo started the story being fat and cheerful, even for a hobbit:]
Butterbur: I was given a description that fits you well enough, if I may say so.... 'A stout little fellow with red cheeks... taller than some and fairer than most, and he has a cleft in his chin: perky chap with a bright eye.

“I am sure you have given me all the heaviest stuff,” said Frodo. “I pity snails, and all that carry their homes on their backs.”
“I could take a lot more yet, sir. My packet is quite light,” said Sam stoutly and untruthfully.
“No, you don”t, Sam!” said Pippin. “It is good for him. He’s got nothing except what he ordered us to pack. He’s been slack lately, and he”ll feel the weight less when he’s walked off some of his own.”
[After the journey:]
Looking in a mirror he was startled to see a much thinner reflection of himself than he remembered: it looked remarkably like the young nephew of Bilbo who used to go tramping with his uncle in the Shire; but the eyes looked out at him thoughtfully.

Éowyn:
Grave and thoughtful was her glance.... Very fair was her face, and her long hair was like a river of gold. Slender and tall she was... but strong she seemed and stern as steel, a daughter of kings. Thus Aragorn for the first time in the full light of day beheld Éowyn, Lady of Rohan, and thought her fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring that is not yet come to womanhood.
...maiden of the Rohirrim, child of kings, slender but as a steel-blade, fair but terrible.
Faramir: "...Éowyn of Rohan, I say to you that you are beautiful. In the valleys of our hills there are flowers fair and bright, and maidens fairer still; but neither flower nor lady have I seen till now in Gondor so lovely, and so sorrowful."

Denethor:
Denethor looked indeed much more like a great wizard than Gandalf did, more kingly, beautiful, and powerful; and older.
...Denethor II was a proud man, tall, valiant, and more kingly than any man that had appeared in Gondor for many lives of men; and he was wise also, and far-sighted, and learned in lore. Indeed he was as like to [Aragorn] as to one of nearest kin...
Gandalf: “He is not as other men of this time, Pippin, and whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir whom he loved best. He has long sight. He can perceive, if he bends his will thither, much of what is passing in the minds of men, even of those that dwell far off. It is difficult to deceive him, and dangerous to try."

Sam:
[Sam was very strongly-built for a hobbit:]
Presently Sam appeared, trotting quickly and breathing hard; his heavy pack was hoisted high on his shoulders, and he had put on his head a tall shapeless fell bag, which he called a hat. In the gloom he looked very much like a dwarf.
...The dwarves are exceedingly strong for their height...
...“I can carry enough for two,” said Sam defiantly.
...Aragorn did not answer at once, but went back to the camping-place and looked at the baggage. “Two packs are missing.” he said, “and one is certainly Sam’s: it was rather large and heavy.
...Sam lifted Frodo with no more difficulty than if he were carrying a hobbit-child pig-a-back in some romp on the lawns or hayfields of the Shire. He took a deep breath and started off.

Jackson was just as unqualified as Bakshi to TOUCH LotR, the first being famous for making bad cult horror-movies, the second for bad cult cartoons. Is it any wonder that each ruined according to his own specialty?
It's nonsense that a producer of great acclaim couldn't do it justice, just because a couple of low-grade hacks couldn't; you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

quote:
PJ's attempt is an enormous improvement on Bakshi's.
You can't polish a cowpie either.

[ 03-23-2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You make valid points, WK. However, I would say in reply that very few, if any, reputable producers would risk their hard earned reputations on a project that before PJ's attempt was considered by almost everyone, including Tolkien before he died, as entirely unfilmable. PJ, unqualified or not, filmed it because he had the guts to do what no one else would.

Also, some of the descriptions you note aren't that far off. Just breifly looking over them, I can see that some of the lines from the book actually made it into the movie (albeit in a different form, or said by different characters.) Are they exact, no. Is Sean Bean beautiful? Depends on who you talk to. Is Viggo Mortensen tall and grey eyed? No, but he still did a damn fine job conveying the essence of the character - wragged and unseemly yet still authoritative and possessed of a certain power and majesty. Gandalf's eyebrows, if nothing else, were nailed in the movie.
Frodo was too young, yes, but certainly looked fairer than any other hobbit in the movie. And Sam does carry Frodo. I could go on defending my view, but I fear it will be to no avail. And that is just fine.

Many people drawn to the books as a result of the films do have slanted views about the details of the story. But most everyone agrees on the essential themes. Let these people, as I said, float about in the shallow end of the pool until their knowledge of the actual works deepens. If they truly love Tolkien's world, than this deepening is inevitable.

If they don't - then they never would've read the books anyway, so who cares about them? To those people, Tolkien's message doesn't matter, and so worrying about them getting a wrong impression doesn't matter either.

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
You make valid points, WK. However, I would say in reply that very few, if any, reputable producers would risk their hard earned reputations on a project that before PJ's attempt was considered by almost everyone, including Tolkien before he died, as entirely unfilmable.
When did Tolkien say this? His exact words were, "the narratives of any medium cannot be altogether different."

quote:
PJ, unqualified or not, filmed it because he had the guts to do what no one else would.

Don't confuse guts and gall-- I heard enough of that from the donut-polishers of Bill Clinton. I wasn't fooled in the 90's, and my wisdom hasn't diminished in the passing of the last decade.

quote:
Also, some of the descriptions you note aren't that far off.
Depends on how suggestible one is; they don't even come close.

quote:
Just breifly looking over them, I can see that some of the lines from the book actually made it into the movie (albeit in a different form, or said by different characters.)
In other words, gratuitiously included OUT OF CONTEXT, but then they can still point to it and say "SEE? We WERE true to the story!"
RIGHHHHTTTT-- true, but false. More Clinton-speak.

quote:
Are they exact, no. Is Sean Bean beautiful? Depends on who you talk to.

Someone WITHOUT a white cane, dark glasss and a guide-dog. He looks like he fell out of the ugly-tree and hit every branch on the way down, and then his face stopped the sunrise; he's about as far from the description as you can get.

quote:

Is Viggo Mortensen tall and grey eyed? No, but he still did a damn fine job conveying the essence of the character - wragged and unseemly yet still authoritative and possessed of a certain power and majesty.

This is what I'm talking about when I wonder if those who fawn over the emperor's clothes are watching the same thing that I am. Are you serious? This primped-and-prissified dweeb couldn't lead sex-starved sailors into a free brothel with his permed eyelashes and cupie-doll face.
I would envision Aragorn at least as a young Sean Connery, i.e. tall, rugged, charismatic, supremely confident and majestic as great Scottish kings, but also capable of being sincere and honest. I could have accept Mel Gibson as Willaim Wallace, but not this... anything but this.

quote:
Gandalf's eyebrows, if nothing else, were nailed in the movie

Ok, you must have been watching a Joan Crawford movie-- Ian McKellan uses a Loreal fine eyebrow-pencil, after plucking and waxing. E.T. had bushier brows.

quote:
Frodo was too young, yes, but certainly looked fairer than any other hobbit in the movie.
That's because they others had fricking FIVE O'CLOCK SHADOW-- and were about 20 years older! He was also depressed and anorexic-- what about taller, stout, perky, and bright-eyed? That's FOUR strikes.
quote:
And Sam does carry Frodo.
Yeah, like he's lifting a truck-- not a child. Which is pretty ironic because movie-Frodo WAS a child.

quote:
I could go on defending my view, but I fear it will be to no avail.
Yes, because you can't polish a turd. These characters didn't look a whit like in the book as written in plain English-- and that's just basic appearance; if a casting-director isn't going to pay attention to the book's basic character-appearances (where they make a point), then this shows that they don't get the story's LESS visible points.

quote:
Many people drawn to the books as a result of the films do have slanted views about the details of the story. But most everyone agrees on the essential themes.
No, they don't, since words mean things, and details make the difference-- and they are distorted beyond recognition.

quote:
Let these people, as I said, float about in the shallow end of the pool until their knowledge of the actual works deepens. If they truly love Tolkien's world, than this deepening is inevitable.

If they don't - then they never would've read the books anyway, so who cares about them? To those people, Tolkien's message doesn't matter, and so worrying about them getting a wrong impression doesn't matter either

Hmmm... this is strangely reminescent of something:
quote:

' "White! " he sneered. "It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken."

' "In which case it is no longer white," said I. "And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

' "You need not speak to me as to one of the fools that you take for friends," said he. "I have not brought you hither to be instructed by you, but to give you a choice."... This then is one choice before you, before us. We may join with that Power. It would be wise, Gandalf. There is hope that way. Its victory is at hand; and there will be rich reward for those that aided it. As the Power grows, its proved friends will also grow; and the Wise, such as you and I, may with patience come at last to direct its courses, to control it. We can bide our time, we can keep our thoughts in our hearts, deploring maybe evils done by the way, but approving the high and ultimate purpose: Knowledge, Rule, Order; all the things that we have so far striven in vain to accomplish, hindered rather than helped by our weak or idle friends. There need not be, there would not be, any real change in our designs, only in our means."

' "Saruman," I said, "I have heard speeches of this kind before, but only in the mouths of emissaries sent from Mordor to deceive the ignorant. I cannot think that you brought me so far only to weary my ears."

As a white light when broken, is no longer white, so Tolkien when thus broken and fragmented is no longer Tolkien.
And he who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.

[ 03-24-2005, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
I am no Saruman, friend.

And you are no Gandalf.

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
A bad movie-portrayal can't really spark a good interest in the books; it will only attract the low-brow pulp readers-- who will drop it after the first page-- while driving away all others, who will thereby pass up the read of a lifetime.

[ 03-26-2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
posted      Profile for Anorgil   Email Anorgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A bad movie-portrayal can't really spark a good interest in the books; it will only attract the low-brow pulp readers-- who will drop it after the first page-- while driving away all others, who will thereby pass up the read of a lifetime.
I cannot say whether PJ's movies sparked a good interest in the books, since I had an interest in the books before I saw the movies. However, I can say that those movies did increase my interest in the books.

To suppose that any movie will "drive away all others, who would thereby pass up the read of a lifetime" is to insult those others' intelligence. Not everyone judges a book by its movie...

[ 03-27-2005, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Anorgil ]

From: Illinois or Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
No, but I don't think they'd be drawn to it by the movie or consider it worthy of a serious read, since the movie makes it appear like a typical D&D movie like "Dragonslayer" etc.
BTW that post was in response to another one that was deleted, which listed some evidence to that effect. It just refutes the claim that the movie flaws are redeemed by popularizing the book.

[ 03-28-2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
posted      Profile for Anorgil   Email Anorgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, but I don't think they'd be drawn to it by the movie or consider it worthy of a serious read, since the movie makes it appear like a typical D&D movie like "Dragonslayer" etc.
Not until they had read it for the first time and found out that it was not at all like the movie. Thus the second reading would be all the more enjoyable.

It took me several readings to understand the book, and I am quite sure that I am not the only one.

Anyway, one cannot turn a completely deaf ear to the purists' objections to the movies' departures. Only a fool would judge the book by the movie, knowing about those departures, and the book was never meant for fools.

[ 03-29-2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Anorgil ]

From: Illinois or Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Knowing these departures? How would you know the departures without reading the book?
You don't get a second chance, to make a first impression.

Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was the greatest thing for the books. I never had any desire whatsoever, and cared nothing about Tolkien until I saw the movie on that fateful day in May. Yes, May, and 2 weeks later it was gone from the theaters. I decided one Monday on my day off to go see a movie at the matinee price, and FOTR was the only one I decided was worth watching. After seeing it, I read THE HOBBIT and LOTR, and bought some reference material on it.

That's how great the movies were. They sparked interest in the books, and I've read that sales skyrocketed after the movies. All you have to do is look at all the space at your local bookstore Tolkien takes up, to see that.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
quote:
How would you know the departures without reading the book?
By reading the reviews of the movie that reveal how unfaithful it was to the book. Or by reading or listening to purists' remarks about how unfaithful it was to the book.

And first impressions don't really matter that much when you read a book enough times...

I confess that I did not understand the book at all the first time I read it, but I didn't let that stop me from reading it again... and again... and I am sure that many others could say the same.

[ 03-30-2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Anorgil ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
By reading the reviews of the movie that reveal how unfaithful it was to the book. Or by reading or listening to purists' remarks about how unfaithful it was to the book.
I really didn't see any; you really have to dig, even on the internet, to find anything truly revealing. And for every purist, there's probably 1000 rabid fanatics who can't shut up about how "great" it is... you'd think they'd never seen a movie before.
Likewise, the ones most drawn to the books, are representative of the "deplorable cultus" which Tolkien despised; he wanted his work honored, not pimped. I've seen good movies, and this ain't one.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's because you're blinded by your purist rage at how the movie wasn't done exactly like the book.

It's very obvious.

But continue, because all of us here get a really big kick out of your tantrums and self absorbed superiority rants. [] []

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Monkey-boy-- you make me laugh! []
Did you ever study Darwin? He studied you!

quote:
That's because you're blinded by your purist rage at how the movie wasn't done exactly like the book.

It's very obvious.

Ah, "changes," the hack's buzzword; kinda like "mistakes" to the politician, lawyer or criminal (thus the triple-affinity for the word by Bill Clinton).

Too bad some are too dim to understand the difference between alteration and desecration.

[ 03-31-2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WiKi, I think it's more that the rest of us don't care as much as you do.
Have a nice cup of tea and forget about the stupid movies.

[ 03-31-2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

quote:
Monkey-boy-- you make me laugh!
Did you ever study Darwin? He studied you!

Hey Witch, you ain't laughing, your mad, otherwise you wouldn't have called me "Monkey-boy". Now that's funny!

But alas, that just shows what kind of person you are, and you just aren't worth my time. To get so upset and angry over books and movies is just plain silly. You remind me of my ex-wife.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The now-famous critique. (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help