Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The now-famous critique. (Page 1)
Author Topic: The now-famous critique.
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

Man, I love this guy. He hit the nail on the head on every issue I have with Bakshi. Ooh, and that sarcastic wit. Almost feels like I'm reading something that I wrote!  -

Well, now's your chance to post your ideas about this man's attempt to explain what is bad about something that almost defines 'bad'.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zilverboltz
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 40
posted      Profile for zilverboltz   Email zilverboltz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha lol, yeah, I'm gonna have 2 agree with you on this one, he is very witty in his writting. I liked it, it was a very interesting articel, I only hope that he doesn't need to write a similar one about the new movies.

------------------
Doctor Says I'm suffering from extreme self love, huh, suffering?

From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the review is scathing- but terrific! My favorite part is about Gandalf's overdone gesturing:

"He raises both hands into the air, squeezes his fists and lowers his hands whenever he wants to make a point, a ludicrous overdramatic gesture which beginning drama students refer to as "Milking the Giant Cow".

-

Hee hee!

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erinhue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 47

posted      Profile for erinhue   Author's Homepage   Email erinhue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
this is great I liked the part about everyone's big hair when he says sauruman or is it auruman, has hair so big he can hardly stand up I almost fell down laughing best I've seen since Board of the Rings which infuriated me when I first read it and nearly broke a rib the next time it was so dead on and riotously funny give me more like this

------------------
-Erinhue of Belfalas

"All for one and the one is me" - Me

From: East of Ground Zero | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pearl
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 58
posted      Profile for Pearl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This review made me laugh my head off. "Why didn't Bilbo kill Gollum, when he had a chance?" cried Frodo - curiously throwing a rock to prove his point.

But the honourable reviewer made one glaring omission: he forgot to mention how UGLY the hobbits were! For that insult alone, I can never forgive Bakshi!!

------------------
He wrote to me in runes shining like silver, so I could see the visions and horizons that opened in his mind.

From: The Shire ... er, England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On a minor note, though, where the reviewer criticizes Bakshi for having Sam get up and start whistling and stomping around to make the best of a sad speech by Frodo, Tolkien actually wrote it that way.

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think he meant the way Sam didn't even seem to react to Frodo's words. The whole mood was quite different in the book.

With the way everything was hurried in the movie, pauses between actions was impossible for Bashki to represent.

I can imagine if he ever got to 'The Choices of Master Samwise', he would have had Sam leave Frodo's body in about 5 seconds. He DID leave him there, although not without sitting there in grief and thought for quite some time. Not a perfect parallel with the whistling example, but good enough.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

The worst thing about the Bakshi version is that to this day, 22 years after I first saw the movie, whenever I read "Mithrandir", I hear that sappy singing from that children's choir in Lorien!
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you didn't copy it WGW, for now the link is dead.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Link updated! Booyah!

Just googled for "Tolkien Sarcasm" and it was first on the list!

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is it []

Edit: crossed posts! Oh well []

[ 12-04-2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saruman succumbs to the same visual hyperactivity that everyone else has - and not only traps Gandalf at the top of Isengard, but puts on a really flashy light-show as well. Evidently Saruman forgets that he's not doing a remake of Close Encounters of the Third Kind
*dies laughing*

As I read this, I realize I've read it before...but it remains classic stuff...

quote:
...On the other hand, I would still like to know why the Nazgul has to groan and limp about like an escapee from a leper colony.
ROFLOL!! []

One more: []
quote:
18. How To Recognize An Elf.
- Sappy pseudo-cheerful woodland Elf-music plays whenever they appear.
- They have eyes like Bambi.
- They're all exposed three F-stops too bright.

[]

[ 12-04-2003, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Lillianna ]

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the whole thing printed out and in my Rainy Day notebook [] It's kept me smiling for going on four years [] (maybe cause I don't read it too often and cause it's just funny!)

You should also check out THIS. It's great [] I'm thinking of making a thread for it....

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, the review is scathing- but terrific! My favorite part is about Gandalf's overdone gesturing:

"He raises both hands into the air, squeezes his fists and lowers his hands whenever he wants to make a point, a ludicrous overdramatic gesture which beginning drama students refer to as "Milking the Giant Cow".

This was my biggest problem with Boromir in the current adaptation. Remember his actions in the Council of Elrond? -- "It is a gift." (and then he reaches right out, grabs an invisible udder, and yanks it a couple times)... Ughh... []
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Curiously, even inside the caves Theoden is unwilling to get off his horse.

From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

I like Sean B's gestures at the council (though the one you mention I don't like much [] ). It's like theatre acting...
quote:
The orchestra now begins playing Christmas music as Gandalf rides Shadowfax through the Orcs, slaying at will.
I love that visual (I've never seen the film, but based on the pictures I can get Gandalf riding around slayin stuff while "Sleigh Ride" plays in the backround [] )

[ 12-05-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Roll of Honor Tindómerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3721

posted      Profile for Tindómerel   Author's Homepage   Email Tindómerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's almost as if he's saying to the audience: "Please, please find a way to get me out of this ludicrous movie."

Pure Brilliance!! Thank you for the belly laugh, WGW. [] []
From: a small hole in the ground | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elyrka Redsmith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3054

posted      Profile for Elyrka Redsmith   Author's Homepage   Email Elyrka Redsmith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps the Fellowship of the Ring should have just brought him a shrubbery?
*RAOTFLMAO*

I'm going to print that out...

From: On the wind in the wires. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Do! You'll enjoy it for years to come []
Elanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3219

posted      Profile for Elanor Gamgee   Email Elanor Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a classic-I've read it before, but it still had me in stitches.
BTW, I first saw it dubbed into German, and they gave all the hobbits high squeaky voices, which didn't do the film any favours either.

From: Moscow | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is beautiful! Cannot believe I haven't found it before!

quote:
The filmmakers, seeing the end of Part One in sight, simply give up all pretense at this point - not only that the movie should make sense to us, but even that it makes any sense to them. The final battle at Helm's Deep, therefore, is ludicrously confusing. At the end, even the filmmakers don't seem to know who's winning.
As the scene begins, the Orcs are using battering-rams to try to break into the Glittering Caves. The Horn of Helm is sounded (unless, of course, it's the Horn-call of Buckland, or maybe Boromir returning from the dead), and all the Orcs decide to drop the battering-ram and make a blind run for it for no discernable reason. They fall back in rout, even though there are no enemies present anywhere yet.
LestatsOnlyVamp: The Riders of Rohan burst forth from the caves, Theoden leading them. Though not an Elf, Theoden is nonetheless a good F-stop brighter than all his men. He and Aragorn and the Rohirrim ride about slaying the Orcs. (Slaying Orcs has become a familiar and favored pastime to the filmmakers by now, so they have fourteen on-screen slayings in the next 58 seconds.)
The tide, however, turns. After 58 seconds of being the clear victors, it slowly dawns on Theoden, Aragorn and the other riders that they are, in fact, surrounded by countless Orcs. Funny how they missed it before. The Orcs, rather than simply charging in and killing them, slowly begin to tighten their circle around them; Theoden and Aragorn look around, now clearly realizing the hopelessness of their situation. ...At least, that is how the scene looks. The orchestra, however, has something completely different in mind, and begins playing heroic triumphant music which is completely at odds with the hopeless situation onscreen. Evidently they no longer know or care who's winning. (Or maybe they're rooting for the Orcs?)
One of the animators evidently gives over to apathy for a moment as well. Surrounded by enemies, Theoden actually smiles at the approaching Orcs for the briefest of seconds before resuming his look of worry. Luckily, Gandalf comes riding to the rescue with a contingent of the Rohirrim. Succumbing to a moment's Elvishness, Gandalf is exposed a couple of F-stops too bright and looks for all the world like Moses descending from the Mountain rather than a wizard. The Orcs are again driven back in rout, though this time nobody has to blow a horn to tell them when to leave.

That is priceless!
From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read this a couple of years ago, and was falling off of my chair with apple juice coming out of my nose....

[]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Theoden actually smiles at the approaching Orcs for the briefest of seconds before resuming his look of worry.
I always thought that little facial expression was his realization of what a tactical dumb-@ss he was.

[ 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Snowdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queen of the Harad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4939
posted      Profile for Queen of the Harad   Edit/Delete Post 
http://amethyst-angel.com/lotr_bakshi.html

The Tolkien Thumbnail Theater. The epilogue is a MUST-SEE.

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Galadriel: Wanna look into my mirror? It shows things that may be in the past, present or future and is always either true or false.
Frodo: Jeez, what a useless magical device. Here, take my ring instead.
Galadriel: Ooh, can I? Then I'd be good and bad and everybody would love me and hate me and I'd fill the world with puppy dogs and goblins and rainbows and acid rain! Ahahaheeheehee!
Frodo: Okay, I get it. Bad idea.

From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Other Tolkien Productions » The now-famous critique. (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help