Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Living or dead, who *would* you cast? Who seems "elvish" to you, etc?
Author Topic: Living or dead, who *would* you cast? Who seems "elvish" to you, etc?
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is not the place for n'ay sayers. If your mind is blank, don't post. [] Living or dead, who would you have cast, and at what point in their career, for any role in the movies? Also, does their voice match as well as their looks, with how you imagined the book characters? What seems, "elvish" to you? Who seems hobbit-like? Entish? Numenorean? Orcish?

I like Sean Connery for Gandalf, from his septuagenarian years.

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"N'ay" ... just sayin' [] []

Seriously.... this will be fun! I'll have to think some on this, but I will start off with this..

Ann Miller in her early 20's (1940's) would be a beautiful Arwen!

-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Eowyn, there would be none other than Legertha. Katheryn Winnick of today would portray a great Eowyn!

-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve thought a bit about who I think would make a good Galadriel. I have to say that I think Claire Danes would do well in the role.

-

I also thought that Carole Lombard from the old silver screen days would make a good Galadriel.

-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for the guys....

I think with a bit of tweaking, Richard Gere in his First Knight days would make a good Faramir.

I think he could portray a good Boromir too by acting with his more angst demeanor, but decided that he'd do better as a more subdued and ethereal Faramir.

-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I considered Mads Mikkelsen as Aragorn at first, but decided he would make a better Boromir

-

[ 05-20-2016, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lobelia SB (Who else!?)

- [] [] [] []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Love these suggestions, Snowdog and Flammifer. []
Yes, I'm thinking, too!

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good one flamer! I've got more, but am waiting to see if anyone else takes this serious enough to participate.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Gary Burghoff as Samwise.
 -

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Sam's Gaffer, Mickey Rooney
 -

The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Mouth of Sauron
 -

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Flammifer, [] I've been tempted to nominate people outside the realm of professional actors, but - Wait, what am I saying . . . []

Snowdog said,
quote:
I've got more, but am waiting to see if anyone else takes this serious enough to participate.

[] Meh - "Waiting" is the kiss of death to good threads. Let's have your input, Mr. Snowy. Perhaps one of your entries will be just the inspiration someone else needs. []
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
William Huggins
 -

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer."

[ 05-11-2016, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: The Flammifer ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Sorry, haven't had any time to dedicate to this. I was only waiting to see if anyone was actually going to post. []
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
Lotho (Pimple) Sackville-Baggins
 -
Lotho SB gave us fits,
as he and his allies were twits.
Known by many as "Pimple"
The reason is simple -
Because of a face-full of zits!

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

-

Pippin

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

[] [] []
Dear MTers, please do not leave all of the thinking to me. Also, if you have ideas other than what is currently posted, there are no rules for the number of submissions per character.

I would really like it if you would play on! [] []

The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
Bombur (aka "The Swollen One" [] )
Circa T.A. 3018

-

faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

Good one, Flammifer! []

It may be fun to go outside of Tolkien's physical descriptions, in terms of what the humanoid "races" look like. It has begun to bother me that Tolkien somewhat bought into the idea of "class systems" and such, and whether consciously or not, made the "lower-classes" of dark complexions, and the "highest" ones to be pale-skinned. I have personally witnessed people of very dark complexions who virtually glow with love. I wonder if that was something he would have chosen to address, late in his life, as his views on many things changed. []

So, new guideline for the thread: Skin color and shape/color of eyes is disregarded for casting purposes.

Play on!

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It has begun to bother me that Tolkien somewhat bought into the idea of "class systems" and such, and whether consciously or not, made the "lower-classes" of dark complexions, and the "highest" ones to be pale-skinned.
Then why are the Dúnedain the most noble of Men, and not the - mostly blonde - Northmen? Why do the heroic Gondorians resemble Southern European people, and Denethor and Faramir (and very likely Aragorn, Imrahil, and Boromir, too) have black hair in the novels? Something which seems to have eluded Peter Jackson, and some people on this thread as well.
It's very obvious that Tolkien operates on a basis of personal aesthetics (he just loved dark hair and grey eyes, I'm guessing his wife looked that way), which accounts for the looks of his central characters.

Now if I had written all these novels, they would span the entirety of Middle-earth, and include protagonists (inclding Elves) of all imaginable skin, hair, and eye colours. But that's because of my aesthetic preferences, not because I'm more enligthened than Tolkien.

Regarding class systems, literally the only lower-class protagonist in LotR is Sam. Who may just be the main hero of the novel...

quote:
So, new guideline for the thread: Skin color and shape/color of eyes is disregarded for casting purposes.
Then why do you bother calling it "Lord of the Rings"? You have to respect the author's decisions, take it or leave it. There's plenty of other literature out there after all, and if you're dissatisfied with all of it, write your own novel, or get someone with a talent for writing to do it for you (there are also plenty of aspiring writers out there).
I mean, not that you people haven't disregarded colour issues already on this thread (what's it with casting Danish guys as Aragorn? The guy is supposd to look Spanish, if anything). Half of these suggestions are easily worse than the cast of the actual movies (what on earth is the similarity between Trump and the Mouth of Sauron? I mean they're both full of themselves, but it pretty much ends there. It's clear that this was for personal reasons. Also, I don't think Sam should look like a sex offender). Laudable exceptions being the first two ladies in post #2.

Just so this isn't entirely negative, I'm quite happy with the original cast of all the hobbit characters. Except Frodo, age wise - Elijah Wood as he looks now would be a much better choice.

[ 02-20-2017, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Right. Now that THAT is over with.... [] []

They can do AMAZING things with makeup and hair dye.

Anyway, I think Michael Dorn would be a good Haradian beserker... []

-

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Living or dead, who *would* you cast? Who seems "elvish" to you, etc?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help