Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Christopher Tolkien Speaks Out
Author Topic: Christopher Tolkien Speaks Out
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Link courtesy of my brother:

My Father's "Eviscerated" Work - Son Of Hobbit Scribe J.R.R. Tolkien Finally Speaks Out

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that someone in a position of authority agrees that the films were idiotic.

But to say they weren't profitable? That just shows what ruthless scumbuckets PJ and New Line are.

[ 12-09-2012, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
love this passage...

This commercial galaxy is now worth several billion dollars -- most of which does not go to Tolkien's heirs, and thus complicates the management of his heritage for his family, which is polarized not over the images or objects, but over the respect for Tolkien's words. Through a curious coincidence, the situation recalls the plot of Lord of the Rings, where everything starts with an inherited problem: Frodo Baggins, the hero, receives from the aging hero Bilbo the famous magic ring, whose possession attracts envy from every quarter, and ultimately provokes evil.

It's sad that for Christopher it's come to this...

"The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

You're not alone Chris []

[ 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The profits don't go to Tolkien's heirs because he sold the film rights.

Grasping lot. Christopher has made plenty out of his patchwork of his father's work. They are just on the make because they regret previous decisions now they see how much money is involved.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The profits don't go to Tolkien's heirs because he sold the film rights.
The profits don't go to Tolkien's heirs because Pj & New Line adopted the stance that there WERE NO profits (you wanna talk about grasping). There's a provision in the rights agreement that states the Tolkien's et al are to receive a portion of the profits from the films. The Tolkien's had to bring it to court to get New Line to hold up their end of the contract.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Prof sold the film rights to LOTR - for about £50, because he thought nobody would ever try to film it.

[ 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

According to the article..

In 1969, the writer sold the movie rights, along with the rights for derived products, for The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to United Artists for £100,000 sterling, a considerable sum at the time, but paltry when the current value is considered.

Regardless of whether he thought the books would be adapted to film or not, he was still wise enough (or perhaps his advisers were) to insert the profit sharing clause into the movie rights contract just in case somebody was 'crazy enough' to actually make the films. New Line & PJ tried to dodge this but the Tolkiens won the court case which is proof enough that the contract language had to have been present.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SSA:
quote:
The profits don't go to Tolkien's heirs because he sold the film rights. Grasping lot. Christopher has made plenty out of his patchwork of his father's work. They are just on the make because they regret previous decisions now they see how much money is involved.
Didn't you read the article? It says "The frenzy pushed the Tolkien family's lawyers to take another look at their contract, which stipulated that the Tolkien Estate must receive a percentage of the profits if the films were profitable."

So Tolkien Estate is not trying to pull a "Paris Hilton," who reaped untold millions by overturning a will which intended to give that money to charity! They simply want what is their due by agreement, and PJ (aka "Pudge") and New Slime are trying to stiff them out of bad faith.
A deal's a deal.

[ 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The contract actually gave them 7.5% of total sales, minus "certain expenses", not 7.5% of profits. It was actually a very good deal, except for the unfortunate wording of the "certain expenses."

We discussed it here: http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001826

(By the way, WGW, I couldn't find that with MT's search. I had to use Google. Have you ever thought of adding a Google search bar?)

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
quote:
The contract actually gave them 7.5% of total sales, minus "certain expenses", not 7.5% of profits. It was actually a very good deal, except for the unfortunate wording of the "certain expenses."

It's actually a lot better, since "profits" means "total sales minus all expenses."
Edit: Unless "Total Sales" means "profits" []

[ 12-13-2012, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I think Christopher Tolkien is a stodgy old academic, I have somewhat more respect for his stance on his father's work than I do for, say, Brian Herbert, who has milked his father's legacy for all it is worth.

In any case, I tend to agree with his assessment, although it is probably a wee bit harsh.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Really? It was pretty close to what Tolkien himself wrote about films.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."
Yes, this sums it up rather well. []

(Que DCueI apologist PJ post here) [] []

[ 04-02-2014, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cue Snowdog dragging up old threads with illiterate posts (as usual). []

Christopher Tolkien sold out his father big time, selling loads of things JRRT never wanted published. He can hardly object to films that are the product of rights his father willingly sold. []

[ 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
...right on que [] ...
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Well, they do say you can't teach old dogs new tricks...
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Christopher Tolkien Speaks Out
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help