Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » How long is long enough for a new vision?
Author Topic: How long is long enough for a new vision?
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
HBO is turning a single book, Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" into an entire first season of a television show. Presumably we're talking about something like 20-24 hours of airtime to tell the story in one book.

If it succeeds - and I have little doubt that it will - could that open the way for a three or more season portrayal of the complete Lord of the Rings saga? Or perhaps The Silmarillion?

I have seen naysayers claim that a book like Fellowship would be boring if every scene and detail was included in the story. Really? American Gods is of comparable size, if not comparable scope, and that book is going to be 'dragged out' over a full TV season.

So if such a thing would be feasible for LotR or Silm, how long after PJ's films would it take for a new market to develop for it? Are people already ready for it? What do you think?

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when the movies came out and the length of them (especially the EEs) became clear, there were some discussions about whether LotR would be better as a TV series. I personally think it would be, and would lend itself very well to an episodic layout, because that is how the book is anyway.

However, there is a problem; it's not something you're ever going to get a TV network to sign off on. They just wouldn't allocate the budget to it. Most TV series film a new episode pretty much every WEEK, and you just couldn't do that with LotR. The sets, costumes, armour, make-up... just not possible.

So while I am hopeful that it would work for American Gods, which is pretty much set in our contemporary world, I can't see it happening for LotR. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are still rights issues however I hear. One could adopt a minimalist approach and perhaps concentrate on the action between the characters. For example, many Shakespeare plays have much action in them and pitch battles but they tend to take place off-stage in a way as they are hard to portray on a stage.
I have actually had advanced thoughts in drawing a comic version of the first chapter, it would be very faithful though obviously I don't have access to the special effects that the big film studios do! and just see if I get much response.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My approach would be to get as many TV companies with relevant experience and financial backing together as possible. Like, from the US (HBO has done Rome, and is doing A Song of Ice and Fire, and both quite well). And obviously from Europe, especially Britain and Ireland. That way you'd have a TV production that allows for character development as well as huge battle scenes. And appropriate filming locations.
The only difficulty with this setup would be to keep HBO from adding random sexual content. Oh and that it would probably never happen since people can't get their act together.

[ 01-19-2012, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The question is, who's ever done anything near like it before?
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There has been pan-European cooperation on an adaptation of Tolstoy's War and Peace, which turned out to be a good and entertaining mini-series. Although some purists won't have anything of it, claiming that Bondarchuk's adaptation from Soviet times was the one and only thing. I can't comment on that since I shamefully haven't read the book (a non-internet case of tl;dr, since I'm afraid of doorstoppers. LotR is a major exception).
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's like Mark Twain said: "classics are books that nobody wants to read, but everybody wants to have read."
[]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
*coughJamesJoycecough*
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Better stop smoking... whatever you're smoking []

"I don't believe any of you have ever read Paradise Lost, and you don't want to. That's something that you just want to take on trust. It's a classic... something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.

- Mark Twain, "Disappearance of Literature" speech

Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Athene meant that the quote describes James Joyce - not that Joyce said it.

The aforementioned HBO series is very good, and quite possibly of a similar scope to LOTR - we'll see if it can continue over several seasons.

I would love to see Silmarillion, but I believe the case is as Hamfast said - it is mired in copyright hell.

[ 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Belthronding ]

From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it is mired in copyright hell.
And amen to that. [] I have great fear that a Silmarillion visual can only diminish it. []
Yet I kinda want to see it. [] Oh! the conundrum []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yet I kinda want to see it.
Yeah, and if it happens, when it happens, expect a lot of criticism.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Silm on screen, I would love to see The Music of the Ainur done in an audio-visual form. Like Disney's "Fantasia" only better.

It is such a long series of stories, they could make it go for several years if they wanted.

But it's going to be trapped in copyright purgatory for quite some time, yet.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
quote:
Speaking of Silm on screen, I would love to see The Music of the Ainur done in an audio-visual form. Like Disney's "Fantasia" only better
Here's my humble attempt I did this evening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4S1-kwXtEI

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like that very much []

Which choir is doing the singing, btw?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
I don't know, I just know it's one from "Messiah"

Edit: That's actually Carl Sagan as Eru BTW []

The fact that he was once like a god to me, is purely coincidental

[ 03-11-2012, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have seen naysayers claim that a book like Fellowship would be boring if every scene and detail was included in the story. Really? American Gods is of comparable size, if not comparable scope, and that book is going to be 'dragged out' over a full TV season.

So if such a thing would be feasible for LotR or Silm, how long after PJ's films would it take for a new market to develop for it? Are people already ready for it? What do you think?

I think the sooner the better, as long as PJ doesn't have anything to do with them. If Lord of the Rings was given the HBO "Game of Thrones" mini-series, I think it would be much better that the movies from 10 years ago.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why you couldn't have a different version. I saw the film in around 2000 and I've lost count of the number of versions of Henry IV I've seen since then.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the sooner the better, as long as PJ doesn't have anything to do with them
Would be nice to give the Born Of Hope people a crack at making a Lord of the Rings movie.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » How long is long enough for a new vision?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help