Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Physics and the movie beacons of Gondor
Author Topic: Physics and the movie beacons of Gondor
Michael Martinez
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3602
posted      Profile for Michael Martinez   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Martinez   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A Physics professor recently watched "The Return of the King" and he got to wondering how fast the beacon signals for (movie) Gondor should have been. In an interesting blog post, he tried to work out the math. See How fast is the Beacon of Gondor for the full post. People have left numerous comments (many of which contain errors of fact about Middle-earth and/or the book-version of events).

I wrote a reply to some of the comments on his blog but felt like I could say more on the subject, so I also wrote The Physics Professor and the Beacon Hills on the Tolkien Studies on the Web blog.

Some of the not-so-obvious things people missed in the books include:
  • Gandalf and Pippin rested during the day while riding to Gondor
  • The book mentions two lines of beacons; one goes toward Rohan, one toward Belfalas
  • The northernmost beacon is less than half the distance from Minas Tirith to Edoras
  • Mordor controlled many lands capable of supporting horses

As several of us noted in the comments on the professor's blog post, the movie was compressing time. It's not entirely clear (to me, at least) how much time was supposed to be passing in the movie. They cut out a lot of the story (including most of the background history).

[ 08-12-2010, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Michael Martinez ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Author of Visualizing Middle-earth, Parma Endorion: Essays on Middle-earth, 3rd edition, and Understanding Middle-earth.

A new Middle-earth archive...
Middle-earth.Xenite.Org

From: Atlanta | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Physics and the movie beacons of Gondor
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help