profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Alternative Actors
Author Topic: Alternative Actors
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if any of you:

Thought a different actor would have been better in a certain role ? (e.g. Hugh Jackman playing Boromir rather than Sean Bean)

Would have liked to have seen any roles which were not filled in the films be played by which actors ? (e.g. Liam Neeson as Prince Imrahil)

P.s. those are just examples and do not express my personal opinions

[ 12-15-2009, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Eonwe The Herald ]

From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I liked Sean Bean as Boromir.

Apart from that, hm... maybe Denzel Washington as Elrond? []
what? still better than Hugo Weaving...

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is another thread for this somewhere....

I really liked Hugo Weaving as Elrond. Of course, I was watching Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and now I cannot unsee it.

ABBA!Elrond!
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimwulf Stormspear
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5157
posted      Profile for Grimwulf Stormspear   Email Grimwulf Stormspear   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was never really happy with Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. [] The ageless Elven lady should have looked about half of Cate’s age. I can’t really see her as Maid Marion, either.
From: The central lake-lands of the Great Peninsula. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with the choice of at least half of the main characters. However, when it comes to alternatives, my mind goes blank.

quote:
I really liked Hugo Weaving as Elrond. Of course, I was watching Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and now I cannot unsee it.
"Mr Anderson" ... Hugo Weaving is a great actor, but he is so ugly (and so human looking) he just can't play any Elf.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hugo Weaving is a great actor, but he is so ugly (and so human looking) he just can't play any Elf.
He is quite a "hurt" Elf though, so pherhaps it's actually fitting; though I doubt in all his wisdom Peter Jackson thought of that.
From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I have thought that Fingon might be a grim-looking Elf in the same manner, especially after the death of Fingolfin.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. She was awesome []
And as you say, she's supposed to look ageless, not young []

Elijah Wood's choice was very bad [] Not especially because of his acting, but mainly because of his age, as a matter of fact. He look like he's 20, and he's supposed to be 30 years older than Pippin !

Christopher Lee as Saruman and Ian McKellen as Gandalf were fine too, IMHO.

quote:
However, when it comes to alternatives, my mind goes blank.

Yep. Well, I guess we all have a precise idea of how a character behaves in our mind, and no particular actor can perfectly fit this character.

[ 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
quote:
Elijah Wood's choice was very bad. Not especially because of his acting, but mainly because of his age, as a matter of fact. He look like he's 20, and he's supposed to be 30 years older than Pippin !
I generally agree, however I think he overdid it a bit, too. "GÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄNNDÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄLF!!!!!!!11" was especially cheesy.
Speaking of Hugh Jackman, perhaps he would have made a better Frodo? (Just try to imagine him without claws...)

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of anyone who could or should be replaced. Perhaps Elrond and Leggy (though I think Leggy would have been much improved merely with a dark wig instead of that stringy blond one).

[ 12-18-2009, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather describe Hugo Weaving as jolie-laide, as the French say. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
I liked Hugo Weaving as Elrond.

Possibly giving Jean Luc Picard some white hair and a white beard, he could have made a pretty awesome Radagast.

Also Kanye West as the Mouth Of Sauron, mainly for the lulz

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm real happy for you, Aragorn, Imma let you finish, but Sauron is the greatest most powerful king of all time. Of all time."
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
quote:
"I'm real happy for you, Aragorn, Imma let you finish, but Sauron is the greatest most powerful king of all time. Of all time."

I know this took a long time, cos I've been away for a while, but I'm glad someone got the Kanye West joke []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Was just thinking how much better Evangeline Lily would have been portraying Arwen. They could have given Liv the made-up warrior elf chick in the Hobbit movie.

-

Yes, much more Arwenesque.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Alternative Actors
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help