Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Things People Who Liked the Movies Hated
Author Topic: Things People Who Liked the Movies Hated
the Shirrif
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4894
posted      Profile for the Shirrif   Author's Homepage   Email the Shirrif   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well hey again this is the opposite of the last topic. if you liked the movies overall, but hated a specific aspect or part of it, post it here.

Obviously there are a lot but here is one i have been thinking about. In the movies, the Council of Elrond scene is completely ruined. It is the longest chapter in all the books for a reason, because it has the most said and unravelled in it. The Introductions, the story of Gollum escaping and Sauruman's betrayal, Gandalf's story, the Sauron messanger to the Lonely Mountain neighbourhoods, the Balin-Moria story that becomes relevant a few scenes later, the question of what to do with the ring(although then you would have to have a tom bombadil), the great line (although maybe this takes place after but it was still left out) where gandalf says "you weren't listening i had heard that from the eagles....and I was the only one who wasn't suprised" yes so i think the loss of this scene was a big mistake.

From: toronto | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've been open about the parts of the movie I disliked. I don't think I hated anything. Way too strong a word for a film (unless the film is actually offensive or something).

I'm for celebrating the good rather than wallowing in the bad []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Saruman's death;
The Mouth of Sauron (and his death);
Denethor going down in flames;
The Witch-King breaking Gandalf's staff;
Orly surfing off the oliphant's snout;
Gimli's foul manners.

'Hate' would be too strong a word, but let's just say that I tend to laugh derisively at the first three in my list. The rest just make me wince.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
If there's one thing I didn't like, it was seeing characters act beneath themselves. Ferny I could understand, but not lords of great power and dignity.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Witch-King breaking Gandalf's staff
Oh, yes. God, yes. [] [] [] []

I'm not supposed to post here since I posted in the other one, right ? []

Welcome, Sarah ! []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Also, I posted in the other one too!

I like movies where most of the characters are intelligent, not just the main characters, since it adds depth to the script. I think it shows a lack of confidence on the part of the producer, when only the main heroes and villains have any brains, and everyone else looks foolish to make the others look good.
Even the trolls looked and acted like mindless beasts, like the Harry Potter troll, even though Tom, Bert and William looked and acted like ordinary robbers.

From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
Thinking about it, I also didn't like all the gratuitous aerial footage, since it detracted from the "on-foot" feel of the journey, as well as from the eagle-flights. I've seen aerial scenery before, but not really long foot-journeys and river trips etc, which was what the story was about. I just read in Letters, that Tolkien rejected a script that had eagles flying people everywhere, and these aerial shots feel just like that.
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
As I stated in the Lit section, I thought Gandalf and the balrog's fall was a "soft water" movie-trope, by falling for several minutes but saved by simply falling into water: such a fall would have killed both of them.
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The direction of four key characters:
-Gandalf
-Aragorn
-Denethor
-Faramir

These are great strong characters in the book who are taken too far off the mark in the film.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithcoriel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11257
posted      Profile for Mithcoriel   Email Mithcoriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
the Shirrif : Interesting thoughts on the council of Elrond, but you can't help the fact that flashbacks and long exposition are a nono in movies.
And why bother mentioning that Gollum was a prisoner of the Mirkwood elves and then escaped? Overall it doesn't really change much, does it? Point is he's free now.

Let's see, what I didn't like... Well I'm one of those who watched the movie before reading the books, so at first nothing bothered me. []

But I have to say the Legolas in the movie wasn't lively enough. In the book he's all..."nancy prancy", at times, teasing the others for not being able to walk over the snow, running off cheerfully yelling "Farewell my friends, I go and fetch the sun!"...
In the movie he was kinda pushed into the background, into a rather quiet and serious role. In fact Orlando Bloom himself made a joke about that: "Everyone else is saying things, and I'm this guy in the background going: o_O "What's going on? I'm sensing something!"."

Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hasquaati
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11358
posted      Profile for hasquaati   Email hasquaati   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent topic this one.

1. I hated the way they made the actors look stupid.

2. In the extended edition the hobbits trip Aragorn. Disrespectful for a future king.

3. I disliked the Mouth of Sauron having his head removed.

4. Making a fool of Gimli's short stature, and the other stupid acts that they made Gimli do for comic relief.

5. The scenes between Arwin and Aragorn should have been removed and other scence replaced. Yes it was a love story between them, but they over did it in the move adaptation.

6. Sam being asked to "Go Home". I thought this was silly.

7. Aragorn falling off the cliff, just out of place no reason to have it there.

8. Sauraman's demise. I know there was no time for the Scouring of the shire, but the way he died was stupid.

9. All of the discussion with Sauraman and his enemies at Orthanc.

10. Gimli arguing with everyone at the council of elrond "Never trust an elf". I thought that was corney.

I actually liked a couple of things much better than the book.

1. Frodo and Gollum fighting for the ring at the end, where Gollum galls. Awesome scene.

2. The grey havens scene was very emotional in the movie, where as in the book it was "See ya guys, adios!" The movie put tears in my eyes.

3. King Theodin marshalling his troops before the siege of Gondor was awe-inspiring in the movie.

4. I liked Ewyin.

And a few other bits.

The Movie was fantastic one of the all time greats, but obviously I would have preferred a little more like the books.

Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First, welcome supernaturalharry!

I would list things I didn't like, but there weren't really many. On the whole I think PJ did an excellent job. To that end, I'll reply to a few points made here.

It appears to me that a lot of the things people didn't like were the humour and character-building, things that made it more human (for want of a better word) and therefore more generally accessible.

Why should the hobbits not mess around with Aragorn? I don't think anyone's serious all the time, even (or perhaps especially) on such a perilous mission. You'd go stark raving mad. Just look at things like this for IRL examples. Tolkien wrote it as a mythology and if you filmed it as such it would have been quite a dull watch.

Also, in defence of Arwen - the only other option would have been to write her out entirely. She appears so little in the books that anyone who didn't know them would have forgotten her by the time RotK came around.

Someone commented that they didn't like Gandalf fall with the Balrog (he's not human, neither's the balrog, why would it kill them? Besides, it's in the book) and Saruman's new death (a shame to lose the Scouring, I agree, but he had to go somehow - how would you have him die?).

Also, the photography's under attack? I thought aerial views did a great job of showing the scale of the journey. It isn't as if the characters are flying, which is what Tolkien apparently rejected.

E: I'm somewhere on the line between film-fan and purist with adaptions in general (I walked out of The Dark is Rising and could have thrown things at the screen in the new Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, for example), but I think PJ gets some unfair stick. []

[ 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, I would like to answer this with my own version of the movies; I've just completed my own purist edit of the Sharkey's Purist edit of Fellowship. I think everyone will like this version.

I tried to be more detailed and exact than the Sharkey's version. Aside from the obvious changes from the book which I had to try to restore as well as possible, there were smaller edits as well; one edit I made was the claim in Isildur's chronicle of the Ring, which said it was made in the year 3434 of the Second Age; this was an error, since the SA ended in 3441 when Isildur took the Ring from Sauron, while likewise he wrote the account after he took the Ring. This was oviously dated seven years too early, so I had to delete it.
It should be available sometime later today for download, I'll post the link. I tried putting it on Youtube but they kept taking it down for copyright reasons... unfortunately.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If I may, The DarkQueen Iauraearien, I'd like to address these points.

Why should the hobbits not mess around with Aragorn? Because they didn't in the book, and that's good enough for me. Also it was out-of-character for those characters like that, just like Frodo attacks the Witch-king at Weathertop, he doesn't drop his sword and fall over backward tripping over his own feet. It wasn't Jackson's story to tell like that, and I think it's rather Philistine to do it.

I also don't think that Arwen would need to have been written out entirely, since there's plenty about her in the Appendices which could have been shown as flashbacks in Lorien, or as real-time in Rivendell; and she could have been shown weaving the Standard of Gondor.... just like in the book. In my edit, I took out most of her doings, and I think the part I left tells the story even better: less history, more mystery.

Regarding Gandalf's fall with the Balrog, why would it kill them? Because the text says that both can be killed by falling, and also that it was a surivable distance; that's why I cut the fall to something realistic.

"(Besides, it's in the book)"
What's in the book? That he fell a "long time?" I'm sure it seemed that way to the one falling; I cut the fall to about 10 seconds, and it even seems a lot longer than that just to watch.

"and Saruman's new death (a shame to lose the Scouring, I agree, but he had to go somehow - how would you have him die?)."

No scouring = no death. In the movie Lotho is shown alive and well, so Saruman should be also. He's powerless now, so just leave him in Isengard with Treebeard guarding him.

"I think PJ gets some unfair stick."

Again, he took liberties which he had no right, and it shows a disrespect for the author and the intent which leaves devotees put rightly out of joint.
If you simply edit the films to better adhere to the book, then it makes a better movie as you'll see.

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Things People Who Liked the Movies Hated
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help