Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » TTT: The "Purist Edit" (Page 1)
Author Topic: TTT: The "Purist Edit"
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled upon this the other day browsing through wikipedia: apparently there is a Purist Edit for The Two Towers.

Very intriguing. The article also mentions a "Purist Edit" for the entire trilogy. Has anyone else heard of this? I also found a link to *ahem* more specific information about this here, but it uses a file format I'm either not familiar with, or don't yet know how to *ahem* understand.

I've checked other *ahem* sources *coughbittorrentcough* and found a .wmv version that's a whopping 3GB. []

http://www.mininova.org/tor/412672

The search continues...

[ 12-30-2006, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at this, reminds me that some of the critics of the films are nit-picking a little. For example, the Elves at Helms deep. I personally have no problem with that idea at all. Ok, in the book there was only Legolas as an Elf. But the Elves were fighting in Lorien at the same time for example. So while not been pure to the book, I do think this idea did keep to the spirit.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gondoran74
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5869
posted      Profile for Gondoran74   Email Gondoran74   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of the problem I have with the elves at Helms Deep is that it contradicts its own prologue. I take "Last alliance" to mean no more Elf/Men alliances after Saurons fall.
From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The elves being at Helm's Deep in such numbers. That's what bothered me. I didn't know the elves could spare THAT MANY!
My main problem with TTT was Saruman. How when the ents came rushing in, he didn't do anything and kept looking and wandering around like a bewildered child. Doesn't that make him look weak and inferior? I mean, at least in the book he gets his machines to burn a few of the blasted trees!

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The elves being at Helm's Deep in such numbers. That's what bothered me. I didn't know the elves could spare THAT MANY!
Sure they could; if you recall, the movie had no attacks on Lórien by Moria or Dol Goldur, so Galadriel's guards naturally needed the work.
Meanwhile Legolas had super-Elven powers, and in the book he said he wished for "a hundred archers from his own people." BING!
(I say Legolas had "super-Elven powers," because if the Lórien-Elves were equal to Legolas then they could have beaten Saruman's armies and then gone on to take out Mordor without breaking a sweat).

quote:
My main problem with TTT was Saruman. How when the ents came rushing in, he didn't do anything and kept looking and wandering around like a bewildered child. Doesn't that make him look weak and inferior? I mean, at least in the book he gets his machines to burn a few of the blasted trees!
One of the Ents did catch on fire, but the flood put it out; my main problem was that it made the Ents look weak by making [/I]Isengard[/I] look so small and weak (i.e. "bowling for dams"); there was no mention of the Ent's super-strength.

[ 01-03-2007, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of the Ents did catch on fire,
Only when orcs shot it.
quote:
Sure they could; if you recall, the movie had no attacks on Lórien by Moria or Dol Goldur, so Galadriel's guards naturally needed the work.
Meanwhile Legolas had super-Elven powers, and in the book he said he wished for "a hundred archers from his own people." BING!
(I say Legolas had "super-Elven powers," because if the Lórien-Elves were equal to Legolas then they could have beaten Saruman's armies and then gone on to take out Mordor without breaking a sweat).

Jackson talked in the director commentary on LOTR: EE that there was scenes where Lorien was being attacked about the same time as Helm's Deep. He just cut them out.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
And naturally he didn't want those Elves to lose their jobs, so he "re-located" them!
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

Crap! Can't even get it to even load.

[ 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Captain of Gondor ]

Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, Legolas, in Rotk extended, does mention that war is marching upon the dwarves' land. It just doesn't show it.
From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Lórien isn't "dwarves' land."
Eldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6104
posted      Profile for Eldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I notice what exactly you said now. I thought you meant there were no mention of any attacks on elves or dwarves in the films.

[ 03-29-2007, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Eldarion ]

From: Washington (not D.C.) | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Freya
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1558

posted      Profile for Freya   Email Freya   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway...

That's a really interesting find, Silm. I wonder who created the purist edit and how skillfully it was done? They also claim to have added more scene, e.g. Faramir backstory, so it would have to be someone or some people close to NLC.

From: London | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily. The added footage could have been pulled from online previews and clips with voiceover narration added. Or they could even have used still images with narration a la the extended cut of Dune.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So far The Laurenendorian and I have watched the The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

We very much like the changes that have been made -- they weren't particularly noticeable in the FotR (only thirty minutes was edited out of the extended edition), but the TT was vastly improved (no more horse snogging or pointless children or Faramir being an idiot or the Ents being uncooperative).

You can find the change logs here (FotR and TT). It's still quite easy to find the files (a quick google will do, but make sure you get Sharkey's versions). I'd strongly recommend these versions to anyone who was disappointed by the films. I think I would never go back to watching the old versions (even the extended).

In summary -- it's PJ's trilogy with ~ 80% of the annoying bits removed.

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting to see someone who has seen this cut. But I still think one would have to do more than just cut things out. Some material would have to be added. If it was me, I might take a leaf out of a silent movies film and have every now and then writing going across the screen or like in Star Wars, just not at the start and explaining a few things a bit better than the films did!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen all three "purist" edits, and I have to say I'm somewhat amazed that they were cut from the same film as the Peter Jackson version, since it's almost tolerable-- sometimes even good,, if I could somehow forget the original. However, I also was somewhat amazed and disappointed with what they left in; for instance, the painfully ridiculous Eowyn "mounted Oliphaunt-neutering" scene, as well as some other equally dumb abortions which should have been deleted with Faramir.

One very good addition, was when they actually digitally altered a scene to make sense of the whole "Sauron's a giant eyeball" mess: specifically, when Aragorn looks into the palantir, before the palantir show's Sauron's red eye, for a split-second it zooms in on Sauron's masked form, apparently from the initial scenes of FotR.

Likewise, Denethor is thankfully spared a good deal of his disgrace; the "Gandalf's pináta" scene is deleted; and likewise they show the scene from the book in which he says that the Ring should be "guarded, but to use it is perilous--" but rather than Gandalf, it's Faramir who says he would never trust him with the ring! (I guess the "mind-switching" was too severe to be saved).

Finally, they managed to restore Denthor dying in the fire, just like in the book-- no "Roadrunner" ending.

Those aren't the only deletions of course-- in fact, some of them were a bit confusing, but it was the best they could do.
Example: the scene where Frodo sends Sam away is cut before entering Shelob's Lair. Instead, Sam threatens Gollum if he tries anything treacherous, since he suspects a trap, as Frodo goes in; then suddenly, Sam is sent tumbling down the stairs, apparently pushed by Gollum.

Let me know if you have any more q's; I deleted them to make room on my HD, since I rarely watch even a good film more than once or twice (I've got one of those weird "perfect" memories for film). You might be able to find them on torrent under "Sharkey" or "purist" keywords.

[ 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I must admit, I didn't expect that reply. Either you're slipping or it really was a good remix. I just wish I might be able to see it now. A Tolkien thing I haven't seen.
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I was surprised what they could do with some clever editing and the EE.

Here's the torrents I could find:

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/5779662/Sharkey__s_Purist_Edition_v.2.1_Lord_of_the_Rings__ROTK.5779662.TPB.torrent

https://torrents.thepiratebay.org/5779666/Sharkey__s_Purist_Edition_v.2.1_Lord_of_the_Rings__TTT.5779666.TPB.torrent

http://www.kickasstorrents.com/sharkey-s-purist-edition-v-2-1-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-mp-t4362822.html

They might work.

From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the thread bump w/ more info... []

The individual film edits are gi-normous -- over 7GB each -- because they're encoded as straight up VOB. (Basically like copying all the files right from the DVDs.)

I also found more manageable mp4-sized files here.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad somebody had time on their hands to have fun with this.
Much of it is much better.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
Ok, after seeing it again, now I remember why I deleted it the first time: and I take back what I said about it being "almost tolerable."

Even with the purist edit, I still can't stand watching how the story's raped... it's like "Deliverance" times 1000. And those crappy actors making those stupid faces throughout the whole thing, only adds insult to injury: it just proves that no one's rich enough to go cheap.

There's just no way to polish this turd.

[ 03-24-2011, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

I've checked out parts here and there, to see what was edited. My reaction was more of moments of pain relief -- thank god I didn't have to see that crap part again...

Unfortunately, too much of the narrative was built upon the very shaky story foundations the Wingnut Trio created. These purist edits can only affect so much, and can't do a damn thing for such silliness as Frodo's umpteen plaintive, "Sam!" exclamations, or Bloom's dufus-like scowls.

The edits I saw just don't make the films more robust or energetic. And I think that's one of the major flaws; I can nitpick this performance, that special effect, or that plot point, but overall, these films are LEADEN...

Reminds me of the two Star Wars 'Phantom Edits'; while it took out some of the goofier bits, you're still left with a weak story.

The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
Exactly... there was too much which couldn't be fixed, like Viggo's creepy "moony eye-acting" every single scene, perhaps in some lame attempt to affect book-Aragorn's keen stare-- as well as Viggo being an overall wuss (in addition to Frodo doing the same)... not to mention the animated-gargoyle Gollum, the Halloween-monster orcs and trolls that would make Tim Burton blush, etc. (while all human enemies disappeared from battle entirely, except for those that wore ninja-masks and rode castle-sized Oliphaunts).

The purist-edits also left in plenty of crap which should have been edited out, like the "Denethor-pináta" scene, Eowyn's "tee-hee" demeanor and Oliphaunt-neutering, and at least one Gimli "short-joke..."

However again, even if did delete this, then they couldn't fix the movie's fundamental flaws, no matter what they did... the damage was just too extensive from square 1.

That's one turd which can't be polished.

As for the Phantom Edits: unlike what Petey, Franny and Phil did to Tolkien's original story, there was no damage to a classic-- and it wasn't that much worse than the other Star Wars movies, which were always campy and light no matter what they did: those who claim Jar-Jar was worse than the Ewoks, are waxing nostalgic IMHO-- they also forget that the evil Darth Sidious was behind Jar-Jar's presence from the start, as a "useful idiot" for his plans.

[ 03-26-2011, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: The White Hand ]

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently re-editing the Sharkey's Purist Version of TTT, and it's proving difficult to edit to be more like the book, but not impossible. We'll see when it's done.
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
E: My purist edit of Sharkey's Fellowship is up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpheUbYbSeo&list=PLEF23B1F0C496AEB2

[ 07-24-2011, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » TTT: The "Purist Edit" (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help