Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Could it be (re-)done again? (Page 4)
Author Topic: Could it be (re-)done again?
Gondoran74
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5869
posted      Profile for Gondoran74   Email Gondoran74   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quote Luke
"i admit that Danny Devito would play a strange Bombadil"
Really, you think.

From: USA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good Indy film company could re-do it in a manner faithful to the book.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for George Lucas, however, he kept Star Wars faithful to the story over more than 25 years.
*ahem* []

Han shot first.

From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maverick is the only Mel Gibson movie you'll watch? I assume you mean as an actor.
Yeah, I meant acting. I'm not really sure what projects he's directed/produced.

After having seen the Star Wars films (reapeatedly, I have 3 versions of a single HBO station; east coast, west coast, and Spanish language), I'm thoroughly convinced that I'm beyond happy the John Williams didn't do the music for LotR. Besides the fact that I loved the vast majority of what Howard Shore did (I can't really think of anything I didn't like off-hand), Williams' music is a lot of fluff, a lot of needless repitition, with sprinkles of epic sounding stuff mixed in (but not nearly enough to hold it all together for my taste). It's kind of "close, but no cigar" as far as I'm concerned, sans the close part.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
You're saying Shore's not repetitive? *guffaw*

quote:
*ahem*

Han shot first.

Well DUH-- otherwise, how could Greedo *miss* from such a ridiculously short distance? It's insulting to claim that Greedo fired first, missed from a paltry distance of two feet while he had his blaster ready, leveled and aimed for about two minutes, and then Han fired "only in self-defense."

I'm talking about the prequels, which consistently maintained the story, look, feel and tone of the originals.

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I keep waiting for you to say that you were kidding every time you said you thought the prequels were great cinematic creations. I just can't get my head around that. *shrugs* Different strokes.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're saying Shore's not repetitive? *guffaw*
Actually, I said "needless" repitition, but perhaps senseless repitition would have been a better qualifier. Though most soundtracks are repititive (and I never said LotR's wasn't), William's annoys me with it more than most (so does James Horner [Braveheart, Titanic, etc.]).

Something else I meant to say, the SW music seemed to move a lot without actually going anywhere (jogging in place one might say). Shore's music, far more often than not, actually went somewhere, especially comparitively speaking.

[ 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Prince Imrahil ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert on cinematic music but I can say this about LotR's music. There was too much of it. There doesn't have to be music blaring for three straight hours of a film. I didn't think the music itself was bad, but like the rest of the film it was used heavy-handedly.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't know much about cinematographic music, but I agree that it was overdone. I loved the actual music but it seemed as though someone said "Oh, a dramatic bit, where's our CD of dramatic bits music!" and that's how the score was placed. []

I really, really liked the Rohirrhim music though, that was wonderful. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
I think I heard that ninety-something percent of RotK was scored, or somewhere around there, which seems like more than normal.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-Minas Tirith

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of that Eddie Izzard sketch about someone walking in dark, creepy woods with a four-piece chamber orchestra following them around.
[]
*sics the Rohirrhim onto the orchestra*

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Ever listen to a Wagner opera? To me RotK's score has that epic grand full feel.
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At least Wagner got his heroes to sing. Jackson doesn't even make them sing the texts Tolkien wrote for them (with tiny exceptions)
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Good thing too, as I doubt it would work for modern audiences. On the other hand, the singing he did include turned out beautiful(in the theatrical release. I don't like Aragorn's "singing" in the Fellowship EE), so who knows? But the film doesn't lose anything from not including them, so I say if it's not broke, don't fix it.
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
Most of the songs/poetry that are in the movie from the book (as well as some of the spoken text) appear in the soundtrack instead of actually being sung by the "appropriate" singers. For example the song Aragorn sings when they see Edoras in Rohiric is in a couple of parts of the soundtrack in Old English.

[ 02-13-2007, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Prince Imrahil ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-Minas Tirith

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
keep waiting for you to say that you were kidding every time you said you thought the prequels were great cinematic creations. I just can't get my head around that. *shrugs* Different strokes.
Did I say that? I recall only stating that they were kept consistent with the originals-- very similar in style, tone, music etc.
However I did think the interpersonal development was better.

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
DPR:
quote:
The statement was accurate. "Most" movie fans won't read the books.
I'm highly skeptical about the veracity of the statement. Does anyone have any proof of this?

[ 02-13-2007, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked RotS because it was nice for a change in these type of films to have the bad guys winning. I thought that the bit were Vader slaughters all the Jedi children particularly strong. I mean with a bit of imagination one could think that one of them might have been a Jedi Harry Potter in his first year in the Jedi Academy probably just thinking of playing some kind of Jedi Quidditch. Then he gets wiped by a Dark lord. Probably not what he was expecting.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DPR:

quote:
: The statement was accurate. "Most" movie fans won't read the books.
I'm highly skeptical about the veracity of the statement. Does anyone have any proof of this?
Tens of millions of people are fans of the movies. There aren't close to that many of the books in print. So to have "most" movie fans read the books, each book owner would have to loan out his copies to literally dozens of people.

Obviously, the statement can't be proved but statistically speaking I feel I'm on pretty solid ground. I think it is absurd to assert that most fans of PJs movies even *could* read the books, let alone *would* or *have* read the books. There are simply too many movie fans and not enough books.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're underestimating the sales of the book. Check this out: http://www.nielsenmedia.com/newsreleases/2003/LOTR.htm

The relevant excerpt:
quote:
Book Sales (Nielsen BookScan) - Since January 2000, more than 19.3 million books authored by J.R. Tolkien have been sold in Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States at a retail sales value in total across these countries of $300 million. More than 14 million units have been sold in the United States alone. This is an unprecedented sales performance for books, most of which are more than half a century old.
Granted, it includes "books authored by J.R. Tolkien", but LOTR has to be the top of that bunch. That's just three countries, while the book has been translated into many different languages and published internationally. Moreover, this data only covers 2000-2003.

But wait there's more:
quote:
Sales of Ballantine's mass-market paperbacks of the Rings series (Houghton Mifflin publishes the hardcover and trade paperback editions) are suddenly "staggering," says Colleen B. Lindsay, who is in charge of promotions for the series.

"Ballantine has sold more than 68 million copies of The Lord of the Rings (books) and The Hobbit," she says. [snip]

Consider: Ballantine sold 32 million copies of the Rings books from 1965 to 2001. But since the release of the first film two years ago, Ballantine has sold an additional 14 million — almost half as much as the entire preceding 36 years.

From here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-12-12-lotr-main_x.htm

That's 46 million right there -- up to 2003. Let's say that between 1965-present 50 million copies of LOTR have been sold. That doesn't account for the millions borrowed from libraries, from friends, handed down etc, nor in other countries besides the ones mentioned. So we're talking a fairly conservative estimate.

That's pretty close to your statement about "tens of millions of people" being fans of the movies. No? []

Sure, the movies have raked in about $3 billion worldwide in box office, video, rentals, etc. Average of $10 a pop, that's 300 million hits, about 6 times as many as the books. Factor in repeat viewers, purchasers, renters (ie people who saw the films more than once, and then also purchased the video) and you're looking at less hits.

Even so, how many of them are considered "fans of the movies"? Hard to tell. But more to my point, the difference between movie fans and those who've read the books is pretty close.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
It is certainly closer than I thought. You are correct that I underestimated the number of books in print. I was thinking something like 60-80 million movie fans and 15-20 million books.

So it is at least possible that most movie fans could have also read the books in that the numbers could work. I think this is as close, however, as we're going to get to an answer until someone does a scientific poll of movie fans asking them whether they've read the book.

Anecdotally, I know perhaps two people personally who have read the books and dozens who are movie fans. That certainly colors my bias a bit.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Maybe you need to find a different circle to run in...Homeschool families I know love the books and the films.
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
May I contact you privately about homeschooling Neyt?
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

PM me and we'll talk.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Could it be (re-)done again? (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help