Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Could it be (re-)done again? (Page 3)
Author Topic: Could it be (re-)done again?
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the compliment, Snow Wizard. []

quote:
However, I still think you're looking at things from a hardcore Tolkien fan's kind of view, .....
Sure, I said as much
quote:
It is not true however for those that read the books thoroughly beforehand and where drawn by them to read more of Tolkien's Middle-earth material.
I think that more or less describes hardcore Tolkien fan in slightly less hardcore words. I just didn't apply the description to myself out loud. (BTW, 'purist' sits more comfortable with me than 'Tolkien fan', where I come from a 'fan' is a personality worshipper - I enthuse about Middle-earth first, before appreciating the man who subcreated it.)

And whereas the general public will drift on to the next hype, the hardcore will stay. And the movies certainly have generated interest among the general public, some of whom will want to go deeper into M-e. Which, apart from a Hobbit movie (when it arrives) will mean reading books, and will mean some more hardcore. And the hardcore will continue debating the relative merits of movies and book. That, combined with what DPR said, will keep creative minds interested and it will mean that any one plans will get media attention. And that will generate public interest and it may very well attract backers, certainly if you go by the past form of the movie industry's general ways.

quote:
I think PJ did the best he could at making his trilogy look good through excellent special effects, .....
I certainly agree, and he didn't do a mean job. Unfortunately that is by no means all there is to moviemaking, and there certainly is room for improvement on other aspects, aspects of great importance to Tolkien's subcreation. Whether the workings of the movie industrie will allow that room to be fully explored is another matter.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we'll all see one day if there will be another attempt at LOTR. I'm sure the movie studios are wanting to get THE HOBBIT done first, though.

I didn't mean to insult you when I referred to you as a hardcore Tolkien fan, Mithrennaith, and I apologize for it.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Most movie-watchers won't read the book, so faith to the book will draw them via portraying the book's superior qualities which PJ paraphrased badly.

He just got too many key points wrong and distorted, to allow the full merits of the story to come through; and truth is stranger than fiction. The only thing left unfulfilled is to correct them on-screen, therefore, and make a superior movie by keeping faith to the spirit, intent and character of the story, and thus allowing Tolkien's superior writing to come true.

I've already covered that PJ not only admitted he wasn't faithful to the books, but I also explained that he wasn't true to the spirit of the books either as he claimed.

Not that this discrepancy alone will get a re-make done, but an Indie film could do it on the simple basis of "here's how Tolkien REALLY wanted it to look."

[ 01-02-2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess since I saw the movies first, then read the book, and read it only one time, my take on the whole thing is much different. I just look at it as seperation of book and movie, with both being spectacular.
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowy, I don't recall to have read you north (but hey, that's only my memory [] ). Have you also read the Sil ? could change a lot your perception of the LotR book.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess we'll all see one day if there will be another attempt at LOTR. I'm sure the movie studios are wanting to get THE HOBBIT done first, though.
Both agreed, Snow Wizard!

quote:
I didn't mean to insult you when I referred to you as a hardcore Tolkien fan, Mithrennaith, and I apologize for it.
No offence meant, I'm sure, no offence taken, to be sure. No need to apologise, really, I just felt a need to explain, parenthetically.

And I agree with Eluchil,
quote:
Have you also read the Sil ? could change a lot your perception of the LotR book.
If, as you say, you have come to the books through the films, a reading of The Silmarillion might provide much insight. I think I can also recommend The Children of Húrin, to be published coming April. I would tentatively suggest reading that even before The Silmarillion, since it is in reality a rounded off part of it that can stand alone, and could function as a more readily accessible 'preview' of the whole. After those, I think the next step might profitably be the Letters.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the hardcore will continue debating the relative merits of movies and book.
Mith, I have to disagree with you on this : what movies are you talking about ? []

*is back to his bumping mood in the HoMes forum* [] / []

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most movie-watchers won't read the book, so faith to the book will draw them via portraying the book's superior qualities which PJ paraphrased badly.
As I saw the movies first. Well, FotR anyway. Then I wanted to know more so I went out and read the books. And the Sil. And the Hobbit. And the HoME.

So when TTT came around, I was very dissapointed.

I now consider myself more of a book-purist than a movie fan.

So I don't know if that blanket statement is quite accurate...

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The statement was accurate. "Most" movie fans won't read the books. You are among the minority.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I say again that the film's only appeal was Tolkien, thus logically more Tolkien would make a more appealing film. I don't think PJ's additions were anything new or special, rather they were cheesy and banal. But then these movie-philes think that Arwen sticking a sword in Aragorn's face is "well-placed feminism."

[ 01-02-2007, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magna Carta
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5563
posted      Profile for Magna Carta   Author's Homepage   Email Magna Carta   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are you still virulently personal-attacking the people involved in the production? I'm in the middle of TTT, and even though I now strongly disagree with the choices made in the production of the film, I do go around accusing the crew as that of a feminist ideology and nearly giving death threats. (The ladder was an exaggeration, but you get my point.)

Tolkien's image of the tolerance of others is really working within you, Witch-king. I know! I'll rewrite FoTR and make sure that the Fellowship commit Hara Kiri!

From: Las Vegas, NV... moving to Valinor in the summer! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You resurrect a dying thread for that?

Brilliant!

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LotR, like Star Wars and The Princess Bride, is the kind of movie parents will pass on to their children. It's gonna last a long long time if everyone who loved it gives their children the same love.

How would you feel if someone tried to re-make The Princess Bride or The Empire Strikes Back within your lifetime?

I read the book first, and didn't like a lot of Fellowship. Then over 2002 I really matured in how I watch films and how I view films vs books. I can keep them separate now. Makes my movie-going experiences a lot more enjoyable.

How do you know that most movie fans won't read the books? After Fellowship came out people reading the books were popping up all over the place, and as each movie made its debute more and more people were doing so.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
NTB, you're cute but annoying. The Princess Bride was a spoof on fairy tales, and SW is an original screen-legend out of an obscure book by a man with great education and integrity. Comparing PJ's LotR to its classic novel, is like doing the same with "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" and the real deal.

The movie's tone doesn't appeal to the same type of reader, who is obviously into instant sensationalism and spoon-fed meaning rather than well-developed detail. They might pick up the book to see if it's the same, but be quickly disappointed when they expect Harry Potter and get MacBeth. We've been over this before.

[ 02-02-2007, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Magna Carta
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5563
posted      Profile for Magna Carta   Author's Homepage   Email Magna Carta   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You resurrect a dying thread for that?

Brilliant!

Are you even aware that UBB.threads doesn't aggregate posts properly by marking unread posts over 15 days old read?
From: Las Vegas, NV... moving to Valinor in the summer! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
I was not aware of that, nor is it relevant. You can see the date of the last post when you read the thread before you post (assuming you bother reading the thread before posting).

Your injection of life into this thread, which hadn't had a post for exactly one month, not only resurrected it, but gave it new life with off-topic insults. As I said, "Brilliant!" []

Magna Carta
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5563
Oh, my apologies. I thought for a second that you were Witch-king, and usually WK throws the kind of insults that lights fire, and as many can tell I don't like Witch-king's intolerance of everything. I dearly apologise for that little comment, and you have my fullest condolences. This teaches me a lesson though: look everywhere before you post!

But going back to the topic, I certainly believe that another Tolkien movie might come about. There have been multiple movies made on Romeo and Juliet, a literary piece considered a classic, so I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple editions of Lord of the Rings.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But Dread, it leant me sig material! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
A proud member of HAAHAA. Lets be positive.
"NTB, you're cute but annoying." -Wiki
"Who's the bull goose loony here?"

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
posted      Profile for Luke   Author's Homepage   Email Luke   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Its obvious, cmon:

Gandalf: Sean Connery
Aragorn: Mel Gibson or Nicholas Cage
Denethor: Anthony Hopkins
Boromir: Peter Stromare (The Italian Gangster in Prison Break)
Gimli: that bald, husky therepist who became popular and a health guru by showing people how to breath.
Tom Bombadil: Danny Devito

just for starters.

[ 02-04-2007, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Luke ]

From: Granada Hills, Ca. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm praying Luke is joking. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
posted      Profile for Luke   Author's Homepage   Email Luke   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i admit that Danny Devito would play a strange Bombadil...also I don't think he's as jolly...though if he was than his performance would come accross as him being insane instead of jovial.
but can't you just see Boromir swaggering around like Peter Stromare does? it would look so creepy if he'd gaze at the ring, saying his lines to Frodo.
Anthony Hopkins is also a good choice for an old crazy guy with his eyes glazed over as he looks into the palantir.
i really don't have to explain why Nicholas Cage should play Aragorn.
Sean Connery is deeply serious enough to play Gandalf, and also very fit for a thousand year old man.

From: Granada Hills, Ca. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

....I thought you were kidding.

Yes, I think you do need to explain why you think Nic would make a good Aragorn. Or why Nic should be in any movie that doesn't take place after 1920 (or so). To me, he has an entirely modern look and style. A very good actor, but not one who can do fantasy or long-ago period pieces (not saying I've seen his entire portfolio, so if you know of a long-ago period piece/fantasy he's been in that is good, let me know).

As for DeVito...Awesome dude, I love my psychos, but...No. Just...no.

[ 02-05-2007, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Luke
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5836
i explained the other actors pretty well, so old Nic shouldn't be too hard to speak for as Aragorn.
a few years ago he played a very unmodern character: an angel. the speech of angels is different, like Sindarin, except above and beyond anything Tolkien could conceive. in another movie he shot arrows in the modern world, sort of bringing his own fantastic vision from the past into it. take your pick.

Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can agree on Hopkins and Connery (I don't know who that Italian guy is). As for the rest, I don't think I can agree. Not reaaly a particular fan of Cage, there's only one Gibson movie I will willingly buy/watch (I just love "Maverick"), and I can't take DeVito seriously at all.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
Maverick is the only Mel Gibson movie you'll watch? I assume you mean as an actor. He has directed a couple masterpieces recently. Apocalypto was amazing. I'd have Gibson direct Tolkien before Jackson any day.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Could it be (re-)done again? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help