Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » About Galadriel (Page 2)
Author Topic: About Galadriel
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ehr, if there were proofs you couldn't be making it up.
Thank you, that WAS the joke-- sailing right over your head with that pretty jet.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, people. Quit ganging up on WiKi. I know his random capitalizations and constant dislike of Peter Jackson can be annoying to the extreme, but I have to come to his defence.

At least his negativity is about a Tolkien production. There are citizens here who post absolutely nothing except negative political statements. Why are we content with someone who constantly makes negative political statements about a country or ideology while we wish someone who makes constant anti-Jackson statements had “never registered at MT”?

Secondly, he knows his stuff. I could easily point to twenty literary threads where WiKi’s participation was invaluable. He and I often clash over Tolkien issues, but at least he actively participates in Tolkien discussions. Why are you attacking a citizen like this when it seems painfully obvious that some people here haven’t even watched all the movies, much less read the books?

Finally, I’d like to apologize to Eowyn for this thread going so far off her topic.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Come on, people. Quit ganging up on WiKi. I know his random capitalizations and constant dislike of Peter Jackson can be annoying to the extreme, but I have to come to his defence.

Peter Jackson asked for it, with not only his horrible destruction of Tolkien's work, but also his presumptuous arrogance in thinking how "great" his portrayal is.
People say that the novel "couldn't be filmed;" however they simply meant that it couldn't be filmed well, even by a great producer. Fools simply rush in where angels fear to tread.

quote:
Secondly, he knows his stuff. I could easily point to twenty literary threads where WiKi’s participation was invaluable.
And that's precisely why I can't stand Jackson-- the more one knows the original, you more contempt one inevitably has for the cheap imitation. Not only this, but the level of dignity and sophistocation of the work, are far beyond Jackson's reckoning.
And likewise, Jackson's indecency is far beyond McCarthy's.

quote:
Why are you attacking a citizen like this when it seems painfully obvious that some people here haven’t even watched all the movies, much less read the books?

Because the truth hurts. Some have compared "Deliverance" with "Prince of Tides" because of a single common feature; that's about the same feature which draws a parallel with Peter Jackson's films in their portrayal of Tolkien's work.

[ 02-01-2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's a visual.... Lord of the Rings meets Deliverance...
Hillbilly orcs: "mmm Hobbits ... [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Grishnakh:
quote:
You godda purdy mouth...
Pippin:
quote:
WEEEEEEEE!!!!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!!!
[]
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I can't believe i haven't seen this thread sooner.

quote:
I'll save Wiki some time and make his post for him:

"PJ is an incompetant fool no one can act way too many bad effects everything sucks PJ is an incompetant fool everything sucks the writing not taken from the book is terrible PJ is an incompetant fool everything sucks and the people who like the films are illiterate."

[] Funny stuff Neytari

Tho' I do have to agree with Thorin, WiKi serves a purpose, he definately keeps things moving up north, even if sometimes that movement is circular. []

quote:
That's the sole thing that caused me to BOYCOTT the first movie. I wonder if they toned down Arwen's later involvement due to complaints?
WiKi, i doubt the complaints had a real huge effect. More than likely PJ et al just didn't have anywhere else to use her. Remember, in Fellowship Arwen simply assumed Glorfindel's role, add that to her real character involvement plus a few invented scenes and you have a rather sizeable role. Without another elven role to usurp, Arwen's involvement in the last 2 movies was restricted to just the invented stuff, and she had to share those with Haldir. Not to mention Aragorn's scene stealing horse. Rumor has it the equine/human french kissing softcore beastiality scene at the base of the fictional cliff Aragorn plummeted from was originally supposed to be yet another Arwen scene. But apparently an ill prepared breakfast burrito didn't agree with Liv on the day of the shooting so the opportunistic steed trotted in to breathe life into the scene. []

[ 02-03-2006, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Funny stuff Neytari

Tho' I do have to agree with Thorin, WiKi serves a purpose, he definately keeps things moving up north, even if sometimes that movement is circular.

Just keeping it honest-- this was NOT a good movie; it owes everything to source-material.

quote:
WiKi, i doubt the complaints had a real huge effect.
It did for me! That was my sole objective-- a few bucks might not crumble his troll-kingdom, but it'll cost him a new box of crayons.

quote:

More than likely PJ et al just didn't have anywhere else to use her. Remember, in Fellowship Arwen simply assumed Glorfindel's role,

Kinda like Brutus "assumed" the role of Caesar... elf tu?

quote:

add that to her real character involvement plus a few invented scenes and you have a rather sizeable role. Without another elven role to usurp,

I guess Orlando already had the Fellowship's "token she-elf" in his contract....

quote:

Arwen's involvement in the last 2 movies was restricted to just the invented stuff, and she had to share those with Haldir.

And by popular demand, I hear, out of outrage over the first.

quote:

Not to mention Aragorn's scene stealing horse. Rumor has it the equine/human french kissing softcore beastiality scene at the base of the fictional cliff Aragorn plummeted from was originally supposed to be yet another Arwen scene.

I heard it played big in Enumclaw, WA .

quote:
But apparently an ill prepared breakfast burrito didn't agree with Liv
Actually she due on-set, but was consulting with the Pepé the pool-boy about getting the pipes cleaned... same thing really.

quote:
on the day of the shooting so the opportunistic steed trotted in to breathe life into the scene.
No doubt to show his royal blood... as an acestor of Catherine the Great, as well as the horse-faced British Royal Family.
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rumor has it the equine/human french kissing softcore beastiality scene at the base of the fictional cliff Aragorn plummeted from was originally supposed to be yet another Arwen scene.
Ermmm ... this is yet another Arwen scene, her "spirit" appears and kisses him before the horse -hey elfs have to be better at something- and I do believe that it shortly follows the "this is a dream" scene where he is "taken" to Rivendell and reminded to keep going.
Only then comes the horse, who actualy does save Aragorn with it's love [] So romantic!
Do you think the horse is Arwen in another form? []

Sorry, go on being serious. []

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You call this serious, Arien? You must be joking! It's pure comedy.

And especially [] @ Madomir!

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Ermmm ... this is yet another Arwen scene, her "spirit" appears and kisses him before the horse -hey elfs have to be better at something- and I do believe that it shortly follows the "this is a dream" scene where he is "taken" to Rivendell and reminded to keep going.
Only then comes the horse, who actualy does save Aragorn with it's love So romantic!

Or maybe the familiar horse-breath simply reminded him of ANOTHER old nag. I'm sure Catherine the Great would agree about the "romance" thing, however.

[ 02-04-2006, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or maybe the familiar horse-breath simply reminded him of ANOTHER old nag
Nobody told the elfs that "no Smint, no kiss" ? [] Advanced civilisation my []
From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You must be joking! It's pure comedy.

And especially [] @ Madomir!

How 'bout that.. someone actually understands my attempts at humor!!
Often, my sarcasm doesn't seem to translate well into written form.
Thanks SSA !!

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love your sense of humor, Madomir, but don't often comment on it. Yours are among my favorite posts to read on here.

*kindly spells American, so he understands*

[]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

quote:
How 'bout that.. someone actually understands my attempts at humor!!
Often, my sarcasm doesn't seem to translate well into written form.

[] Liar.
[] []

See? I told you I ain't the only one.

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

[]
Éowyn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5311
posted      Profile for Éowyn   Email Éowyn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love this picture!

-

From: Austria | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Looks a lot like Darryl Hannah.

However I did picture her in more of a sleeveless or short-sleeved , since the book states that "she lifted up her white arms," indicating that her arms could be seen.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Hildebrandt Galadriel...

Anything but Cate Blanchett!
quote:
You think I'd give money to someone I hated? That's what DIVORCE is for!
Another line of WiKi's I like! []
quote:
Or maybe the familiar horse-breath simply reminded him of ANOTHER old nag.
which is why he was banging Éowyn starting the night of the drunkfest after
Helms Deep, and ending when she caught him heading off in the wee hours... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
which is why he was banging Éowyn starting the night of the drunkfest after
Helms Deep, and ending when she caught him heading off in the wee hours...

Quite a wenching scene! []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Éowyn said:
I've got a question:
In FotR, when Frodo offers the Ring to Galadriel at her mirror, she suddenly is surrounded by green light. But in the Book it says:

>She lifted up her white arms, and spread out her hands towards the Eastin a gesture of rejection and denial. Earendil, the Evening star, most beloved of the Elves, shone clear above. So bright was it that the figure on the Elven-lady cast a dim shadow on the ground. Its rays glanced upon a ring about her finger; it glittered like polished gold overlaid with silver light, and a white stone in it twinkled as if the Even-star had come down to rest upon her hand. Frodo gazed at the ring with awe; for suddenly it seemed to him that he understood.
"You are wise and fearless and fair, Lady Galadriel," said Frodo."I will give you the One Ring, if you ask for it. It is too great a matter for me."
Galadriel laughed with a sudden clear laugh. "Wise the Lady Galadriel may be," she said," yet here she has met her match in courtesy. Gently are you revenged for my testing of your heart at our first meeting. You begin to see with a keen eye. I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I had pondered what might do, should the Great Ring come into my hands, and behold! it was brought within my grasp. The evil that was deviced long ago works on in many ways, whether Sauron himself stands or falls. Would not that have been a noble deed to set to the credit of his Ring, if I had taken it by force or fear from my guest?
And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lokrd you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!"
She lifted up her hand and from the ring she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo, seeming how tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad.
"I pass the test," she said." I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."

The Text she says is rather like in the books, but not the light, her ring, and the star of Earendil.
Before I had read the books, I always asked myself, why she suddenly was green and spoke in a deep voice. In the book, I understand the scene, but oddly enough not in the movie.

Yes, this scene is one of those that could have been a bright point in the movie where they nearly get it right, then derail it with some cheese-ball CGI horror graphic. Unfortunately the screenplay writer collective thought they knew better and added the cheesy CGI horror BS.
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, this scene is one of those that could have been a bright point in the movie where they nearly get it right, then derail it with some cheese-ball CGI horror graphic. Unfortunately the screenplay writer collective thought they knew better and added the cheesy CGI horror BS.
Hear, hear! The collective clearly does not grasp the depth of noble character that Tolkien was describing through his characters. The whimsical qualities of many of the characters was also apparently boring, in their eyes. I suppose that for people who have never read or loved Tolkien, the movies have a certain entertainment value. For myself, they majored on the things I skimmed in the books, and skipped nearly entirely all that I loved. I won't bother spending another dime on P.J.'s stuff. []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I won't bother spending another dime on P.J.'s stuff. []
Yes. I'm glad to have not spent anything on the Hobbit movies. Other than my gleeful anticipation of Fellowship, and getting the EE set, that was about the extent of $$ for PJ.

That said, I will give credit that Galadriel looked quite Galadrielish when she first appeared at The White Council. But again it PJ'd from there. []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, you did at least think that the Fellowship might be good then Doggie! At what point did you turn against the movies?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
So, you did at least think that the Fellowship might be good then Doggie! At what point did you turn against the movies?
When I first saw Fellowship and then read the books again. I gave Fellowship the benefit of having a chance of being good when I saw the first trailer. It went down from there.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » About Galadriel (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help