Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie Mistakes (Page 1)
Author Topic: Movie Mistakes
Lady of Imladris
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5285
posted      Profile for Lady of Imladris   Email Lady of Imladris   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how many of these things people caught. [] I've only caught one myself, but I don't watch the movies that much.

I'm not talking about book/movie relationship mistakes. I'm talking about movie mistakes. Like, logistical or continunity mistakes (NOT involving the book!)

I've noticed one when they are outside of Moria, waiting for Gandalf to figure out the password and Pippin is thorwing the rocks in the lake. You see a shot of Sam saying goodbye to Bill, and then you see a shot of the water rippling from a rock, and then you see Merry throwing a rock in (with someone (a hobbit) sitting next to him on his left...I'm assuming it's supposed to be Merry sitting as Pippin throws in the rocks?), and then you see Pippin about to throw [another] rock in and Aragorn stops him. The way it is edited together if you watch it quickly it looks as if it is all Pippin. It is a very "in passing" shot and I didn't even notice it until last week...

Anyone else notice anything like this?

---------------------
 -
-Ashley-

[ 11-18-2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Lady of Imladris ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"And yeah, I know he's a pretty good read, but God who'd wanna be? God who'd wanna be such an ***hole? God who'd wanna be? God who'd wanna be such an ***hole? Well, we sat on the edge of the river, the crowd screamed, "Sacrifice the liver! If God takes life, he's an Indian giver. So tell me now why, you'll tell me never. Who would wanna be? Who would wanna be such a control freak? Well who would wanna be? who would wanna be such a control freak? Well see what you wanna see. You should see it all. Well take what you want from me. You deserve it all. Nine times out of ten, our heart just gets dissolved. Well i want a better place or just a better way to fall." Modest Mouse

From: Denton, TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and in The Prancing Pony Merry is off getting his drink (he returns a moment later), but they show a longshot of the table (it's when Frodo grabs Butterbur to ask about Strider, I think) and Merry is sitting there.

(hastily written, pardon any errors)

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is a movie-mistake or a plot-error: Gandalf is on top of Orthanc, then jumps on the eagle, leaving Saruman holding his staff. Then at Rivendell, Gandalf has his staff again.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a different staff at Rivendell. Similar, but there were two unique Gandalf the Grey staffs fashioned as discussed in some form of special feature.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have not caught all these, but:

Goofs for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Goofs for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Goofs for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally the folks on the commentary tracks point out a few of them. The two I remember hearing:

FOTR: Isildur kneels before his fallen father, and reaching down he presses against Elendil's shoulder plate, revealing it to be non-metal. (from the WETA f/x guy who's name escapes me at the moment)

TTT: The entire sequence where Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli approach the burned Orc bodies is completely reversed. You even see it briefly in Merry's head wound, which switches from one side to the next. (from PJ).

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a different staff at Rivendell. Similar, but there were two unique Gandalf the Grey staffs fashioned as discussed in some form of special feature.

This is interesting-- I wonder if they screwed up, and realized it too late, so instead of re-shooting the scene to show Gandalf escape WITH his staff, they just cooked up the "two staffs" theory?

Or did they have the "two staffs" from the beginning-- as if Gandalf could use any stick as a staff?

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB relies on submissions from readers, and is therefor, unreliable. I correct them on a regular basis (when I have the time, that is). Haven't gotten around to tackling their LotR "goofs."

They had two staffs all along. I can't believe people still do jumpy dances over the staff issue []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Because it's a BIG issue; a wizard's staff wasn't just any stick held by wizard, but was a powerful symbol and tool of his office-- as in "the rods of the five wizards." A wizard only had ONE staff, and he couldn't just get a new one anytime he lost it-- otherwise Gandalf's breaking of Saruman's staff would be fairly meaningless.

It's like Aragorn losing Anduril, and then having an ordinary sword that did the same thing.
As such, the movie never bothers to explain where Gandalf got another staff; perhaps they figured it was the same way he got a new one when he became Gandalf the White-- which is a complete misconception... like Sauron being a giant red eyeball.
Peter Jackson-- like most cheap sci-fi freaks-- might say "A Wizard did it" whenever there's a hole in the plot-- but Tolkien gave the reason, that GOD did it.

[ 11-26-2005, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Elendil the Faithful
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5033
posted      Profile for Elendil the Faithful   Email Elendil the Faithful   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Another little funny fact,not really a mistake just thought I'd point it out,- in TTT when Aragorn kicks the Uruk-hai's helm and screams, the sceam was real, because when he kicked it he hurt his toe. In fact I think it was actually bleeding.

Now thats some dedicated acting huh? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn'Ambar-metta!"
"Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world."

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

You're mixing up the books with the movies again. In the movies Gandalf can have a staff in Rivendell too. No harm, no foul. It does diminish his mystical status quite a bit, yes, but if I want Super Gandalf I'll read the books. The "lesser" Gandalf works just fine in the movie.

I like your high standards, but I think you'd be a happier guy if you could let loose a little more []

Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*makes mouth like motions with hand*

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
What's the monkey doing with its hand? (Doesn't wanna know!)

quote:
You're mixing up the books with the movies again. In the movies Gandalf can have a staff in Rivendell too. No harm, no foul. It does diminish his mystical status quite a bit, yes, but if I want Super Gandalf I'll read the books. The "lesser" Gandalf works just fine in the movie.

I like your high standards, but I think you'd be a happier guy if you could let loose a little more

Repressed denial isn't healthy; and calling this bomb, anything other than an MST3K outer-space fondue cheese-party, is in Cleopatra's class of being QUEEN of de-nile.

There have been other cheap imitations as well, but never anything yet made that came close to doing it justice. Therefore, let's not get carried away and pretend that it's in a different class from the cartoons... or should I say, the OTHER cartoons!

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Another little funny fact,not really a mistake just thought I'd point it out,- in TTT when Aragorn kicks the Uruk-hai's helm and screams, the sceam was real, because when he kicked it he hurt his toe. In fact I think it was actually bleeding.

Now thats some dedicated acting huh?

Reminds me of my school-production of "Man of La Mancha," where the actress who played Aldonza (who's now a famous broadway broad) actually got accidentally whipped by "Pedro" during the whipping- scene-- and naturally it was a real scream. (And there I was thinking "wow, what great acting!")
Fëanáro Calaelen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5287
posted      Profile for Fëanáro Calaelen   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch the movies often enough to catch mistakes. However I did notice that Gandalf had two different staffs. When I first saw that I thought I was imagining things until my mom (the family Tolkienologist) confirmed it.

[ 11-27-2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Fëanáro Calaelen ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sincerely,
Fëanáro Calaelen

From: Rosemount, Minnesota | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Fëanáro Calaelen: Read above posts. The staff thing has been explained, and it's not a mistake []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Caught a segment of Two Towers on a secondary commercial free-to-air station last night, and noticed when the orcs blew up the wall that the wall started rising before the explosion. Thought it may have been a sync issue,so I checked my dusty copy of the EE DVD, and sure enough, it does start moving before the explosion. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When the Fellowship enters Moria, it can be clearly seen that Gandalf drags a cable after his staff... []
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Movie Mistakes
Of course, there are some, mostly younger "fans" who say the movies don't have any mistakes in them, ad the books were wrong and needed corrected. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They don't deserve your ""s, they're still fans. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

--- or not.
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Psuedo fans. Like the word "fan" in "fan fic". Those who think, "I liked the original so much I decided to change it."

On topic, most if not all movies have production mistakes. It's fun when you notice them and if a production has enough of them it's more fun to list them. I noticed a few in the movies but don't remember them. I dismissed them as a normal part of making movies.

Thanks for posting the link, Lady of Imladris.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Psuedo fans
Psuedo Phans
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Psuedo fans. Like the word "fan" in "fan fic". Those who think, "I liked the original so much I decided to change it."
So speaks someone who has never/rarely read good fanfiction. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

These movies are PJ Phan Phix... and not very good ones either. []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie Mistakes (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help