Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 8)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes
Sauron's Servant Sam
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5398
posted      Profile for Sauron's Servant Sam   Email Sauron's Servant Sam   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The movies were a poor reflection of what Tolkien wished to achieve with his works...

[ 04-02-2006, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Servant Sam ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
- Tricksy Hobbitses -

From: Mordor | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong thread bub.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Witch King will do anything to get in here. []
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeeeh, the Steward gives him more leniancy than I would, but I doubt he'd let him have two accounts.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He is the steward, my loyal movie buddy. []
From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

I took a quote of Thorgis's from the petition for Hobbit movie thread. Wanted to put it in here so WK couldn't tarnish it.

quote:
It is like a 12 h moving painting by Alan Lee and John Howe and I think that is one thing at least to be appreciated.
Oh my gawd, what an appropriate way to describe it, Thorgis! I feel the same way. The whole trilogy is like a rare work of art. Such a beautiful thing to just look at, but then there's the great direction and acting to go along with it. What a masterpiece!! I think I'll have to watch it again very soon. My appetite has been whetted!
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
More like a cartoon.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

Hey, you're not supposed to be in here! []

How dare you tarnish the beauty that was the movies! []

Why I oughta beat you to within an inch of your worthless life with your own shoe, ya troublemakin' hippie punk! []

[]

Anyway, check out this out from WK:

quote:
As for Legolas, you can't seriously associate the movie with anything the book. I can't imagine that movie-dork saying anything like this:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the mouths of the Sea the South Wind flies, from the sandhills and the stones;
The wailing of the gulls it bears, and at the gate it moans.
'What news from the South, O sighing wind, do you bring to me at eve?
Where now is Boromir the Fair? He tarries and I grieve.'
'Ask not of me where he doth dwell – so many bones there lie
On the white shores and the dark shores under the stormy sky;
So many have passed down Anduin to find the flowing Sea.
Ask of the North Wind news of them the North Wind sends to me!'
'O Boromir! Beyond the gate the seaward road runs south,
But you came not with the wailing gulls from the grey sea's mouth.'

*yawn*

Talk about a dork alright! Thank God PJ had the smarts to not have him spout stuff like that in the movies. In the book it's fine, but cornball stuff like that in a movie would either put people to sleep, or cause them to burst with laughter.

Movie Legolas was cool.

Skateboarding on his shield, killing in motion. Oh yeah.

Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of good and bad thoughts about the movie's (don't worry, I'm leaving the bad for another thread).

What REALLY brought the movies together for me was the score. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best score I've ever heard for a film and puts all others to shame (for example, I used to really like John Williams' film scores - Jurassic Park, Star wars, Indiana Jones - but now I don't have as much good to say about them).

"Into the West" is about the only song that puts me to tears every damned time.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
posted      Profile for Rumil   Email Rumil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a lot of good and bad thoughts about the movie's
Couldn't have said it better myself (thats why I didn't try) I agree that Shore did a superb job on the music! So much so that I've stopped listening to punk/rock! My guitar teacher and I now spend our time finding ways to capture the amazing music of the trilogy.

The battles were amazing I don't think even a purist can truly say they hated seeing Aragorn and Theoden Charge down upon the Uruks at the Hornburg.

I also thought that the scenery was for the most part as good as if not better than I could imagine.

From: Lothlorien | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The battles were amazing I don't think even a purist can truly say they hated seeing Aragorn and Theoden Charge down upon the Uruks at the Hornburg.
Purists don't hate everything in the movie-- even a broken clock gets it right 2x/day. However what it keeps by chance, it loses in contextual relation to the rest.

quote:
I also thought that the scenery was for the most part as good as if not better than I could imagine.
Maybe you like New Zealand better than Europe-- I happen to like redheads better than brunettes, but that's no reason to give the Mona Lisa a dye-job. FAITH IN ORIGINALITY is the key.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're not expressing ecstacy over the films.....So what are you doing in here? []

(P.S. I like red-heads too. Too bad there weren't any of those in the film....*sigh*)

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some people just aren't "happy" until they've stomped all over other what other people love.

And before anyone says it... the movies never did this. If you don't like them, just don't watch -- no one is forcing you to -- and don't bother posting in topics like this one where it was clearly stated in the OP "This isn't about critical analysis. This is about talking about how great the films are. No purists allowed!".

[ 06-22-2006, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Alatar the Blue ]

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
posted      Profile for Rumil   Email Rumil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe you like New Zealand better than Europe-- I happen to like redheads better than brunettes, but that's no reason to give the Mona Lisa a dye-job. FAITH IN ORIGINALITY is the key.
Thats not what I mean by scenery I mean the amazing job they did on places like Moria, Helms Deeps, Edoras, Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, and Barad Dûr...... (I could name lots more)

I thought it was amazing!!!

From: Lothlorien | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The scenery was absolutely amazing. They did a tremendous job with detail. They gave a great sense of depth, history, and culture to the sets and costumes.
From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
If you like miniatures superimposed on Nowhere, New Zealand-- and costumes etc. that likewise misreprented the author's intent, telling a completely different story.

From the look of things, you'd think Middle Earth was nothing more than a few isolated landmarks in wild, unpopulated New Zealand except for some monsters and medieval serfs-- not an actual widespread great civilization in pre-Europe.

I'm not bashing the movie-- I'm simply correcting the statement that it represented the book accurately. Maybe it did have great scenery-- if you wanted a scenic tour of New Zealand.

I'm simply being HONEST that this was simply NOT what the story was about-- and guarding against LIES to the contrary. A movie-phile section does NOT give the right to spew lies about the book.

[ 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

No one is lying about the book. The scenery in the film matches how we invisioned Middle-earth when we read the books. You don't have the right to tell us that our personal imaginations are wrong.

[ 06-23-2006, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Rumil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5454
Witch-King rather than tossing abstract abjections on the table (which is perfectly fine on the Purist Rage Thread). Could you please point out a place (city, wild place, mountain, etc.) that was not faithful to the books description.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
An example would be Hobbiton; this didn't look like a bustling village to me-- complete with inns, mills and a post-office-- but a very rural fairy-tale peasant locale.

But that's just an example of how sparse and under-populated the scenery was made to look; Minas Tirith, for another example, was-- like everything else-- an island in a vast sea of wilderness. Meanwhile the book-version of Minas Tirth was a capital center in a major metropolitan trade-center; the Pelennor fields were just that, i.e. vast walled farmlands residing on a busy waterway of the Anduin. None of this populous detail was preserved-- everything looked more like a few medieval settlements, which were as caricatured as the "evil" ones.

Here's a picture of Minas Tirith-- island in a sea of weeds:

-

Now compare this to the description in the book:

quote:
Gandalf passed now into the wide land beyond the Rammas Echor. So the men of Gondor called the out wall that they had built with great labour, after Ithilien fell under the shadow of their Enemy. For ten leagues or more it ran from the mountains’ feet and so back again, enclosing in its fence the fields of the Pelennor: fair and fertile townlands on the long slopes and terraces falling to the deep levels of the Anduin. At its furthest point from the Great Gate of the City, north-eastward, the wall was four leagues distant, and there from a frowning bank it overlooked the long flats beside the river, and men had made it high and strong; for at that point, upon a walled causeway, the road came in from the fords and bridges of Osgiliath and passed through a guarded gate between embattled towers. At its nearest point the wall was little more than one league from the City, and that was south-eastward. There Anduin, going in a wide knee about the hills of Emyn Arnen in South Ithilien, bent sharply west, and the out-wall rose upon its very brink; and beneath it lay the quays and landings of the Harlond for craft that came upstream from the southern fiefs.
The townlands were rich, with wide tilth and many orchards, and homesteads there were with oast and garner, fold and byre, and many rills rippling through the green from the highlands down to Anduin.

quote:
No one is lying about the book. The scenery in the film matches how we invisioned Middle-earth when we read the books. You don't have the right to tell us that our personal imaginations are wrong.
That's three strikes right there. Just because you and PJ make the same mistakes while reading, doesn't make either of you "right--" it just makes you mutually illiterate.

[ 06-23-2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If the films didn't "surpass all of your hopes", you should probably be posting where you can discuss "how the films betrayed Tolkien's legacy."

To no one in particular, just the people who are illiterate and can't read the thread titles on this site.

quote:
That's three strikes right there. Just because you and PJ make the same mistakes while reading, doesn't make either of you "right--" it just makes you mutually illiterate.
Posting things like this is more malicious/malignant than productive and I would urge people to check their egos at the proverbial door before they come here to post something.

Now to what I came here to say...
quote:
The scenery in the film matches how we invisioned Middle-earth when we read the books.
This makes me think of the Edoras location more than anything else and how very close it is to Tolkien's description. Also, though I didn't realize it when I first saw it, Dunharrow was much closer to Tolkien's description than I thought it would be (since they are there for such a short period of time.

[ 06-23-2006, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Prince Imrahil ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

What's the matter, little Witch King? Can't handle it when lovers of the greatest fantasy movie of all time get together and heap praise upon it? This goes on all the time. I hear people talking about this movie glowingly almost everywhere I go, even at my work.

Now who is going to report this little pest?

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can't handle it when lovers of the greatest fantasy movie of all time get together and heap praise upon it?
I don't see anybody here that's heaping praise on Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back... []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Prolly cause those are the greatest sci fi movies of all time.
From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They're not sci-fi.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

quote:
I don't see anybody here that's heaping praise on Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back
That's because this is the LOTR moviephile thread.

Star Wars is most definitely science fiction. Lord of the Rings is not.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help