Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 4)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes
Broono
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4123
posted      Profile for Broono   Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the films. Theyhave helped many of my freinds who found the book "HARD" to read understand it more! Well Done Mr. Jackson!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The White City. The Capital Of Gondor. The Pride Of Middle-Earth. The City Of MINAS TIRITH

From: Gondor | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed over on MSN that ROTK took the Entertainment Weekly Best Picture of the Year....not necessarily a major award but an award just the same []

p.s. Happy New Year everyone []

[ 01-01-2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Vens Arna ]

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrendanCelt
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 738
posted      Profile for BrendanCelt   Author's Homepage   Email BrendanCelt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
RoTK was breathtaking. The Army of the Dead was amazing! Exceeded all my expectations. Does anyone know if Jackson is going to make "The Hobbit" ?.......just a rumor I've heard.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tall tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

From: Binghamton,NY USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sâlienne de Lioncourt
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2570

posted      Profile for Sâlienne de Lioncourt   Author's Homepage   Email Sâlienne de Lioncourt   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The scene with Pippin singing while Faramir led his men into, well, total annihlation was heartwrenching... My favorite scene by far. I simply loved it.
Minas Morgul appeared absolute perfect as well, stunning, IMO. I loved how they portrayed it. All of RotK was a masterpiece... I must see it again! I've only seen it twice! [] It's my favorite of the 3 movies, though I need that extended edition... *Wants to see the Halls of Healing badly*

From: the Black Pearl | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyElessarwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3843

posted      Profile for LadyElessarwen   Edit/Delete Post 
I recently enjoyed ROTK for the third time. It really gets better each viewing. I especially enjoyed Aragorn's coronation and his reunion with Arwen. The lighting of the beacons was another stirring scene for me. And, Pippin's song with cutaways to Faramir was profound. As a big fan of the books, I say that Jackson and Company have delivered an amazing story on screen.
From: Commonwealth of Virginia, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyElessarwen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3843

posted      Profile for LadyElessarwen   Edit/Delete Post 
I recently enjoyed ROTK for the third time. It really gets better each viewing. I especially enjoyed Aragorn's coronation and his reunion with Arwen. The lighting of the beacons was another stirring scene for me. And, Pippin's song with cutaways to Faramir was profound. As a big fan of the books, I say that Jackson and Company have delivered an amazing story on screen.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And Aragorn the King Elessar wedded Arwen Undomiel in the City of the Kings upon the day of Midsummer, and the tale of their long waiting and labours was come to fulfilment. ROTK,Bk 6, Ch 5.

From: Commonwealth of Virginia, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good grief. In the mail today came the February 2004 Scientific American magazine, with a photo of Viggo M. as Aragorn on the cover.
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Wizard
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4249
posted      Profile for The White Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email The White Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Before I start with my opinions, a few things to get out of the way:

1. There are a few RotK spoilers in this post. Please do not read without watching RotK. 2. Before seeing The Fellowship, I had never read LotR. In fact, I had never heard of it. IMO, this makes a big difference in enjoying the films (I'll explain later). 3. I only had one problem with the films (also I'll explain later).

The one thing many people don't realize is that movies are different from books. They expect to see the same thing they read in the books, without thinking that just maybe, it won't work. For instance, Frodo and Sam going through Mordor had much more of of the second book than it had of the second movie. It obviously would bore movie-goers for half of the movie to be taken up of bleak, dreary, never-changing land, and hardly any dialogue. Two Hobbits walking around doesn't make for good entertainment...

Does it make a difference whether you see the book or the movie first? It certainly does. Most of what disappoints people in the movies is changes from the book, so if you haven't read the book before seeing the movie, you're looking at the movie as a whole, not minor changes. I am lucky enough to know the difference, having read all three books between viewing FotR and TT, and understand both perspectives. This situation helps me realize everything I mentioned in my second paragraph.

One of the best things about the movies, for me, was the humour involved every once in a while. <spoiler> "That still only counts as one", spoken by Gimli, has got to be one of my favourite scenes. </spoiler> I also like how the movie can smoothly go from serious one moment to hilarious the next: <example, spoiler> When Gandalf clubs Denethor and knocks him out. </example, spoiler>. Just great!

My only problem with the movie: They included my favourite lines (see my signature), in the TT EE, but they CHANGED THEM!! He also rhymes with the same word twice... The reason I seriously dislike this change, is there is no reason for it. Any other change they make, there's a very good reason for. But why couldn't they keep the poem/song the way it was??!! *sigh* The world may never know... []

[ 01-21-2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: The White Wizard ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"The cold hard lands, they bites our hands, they gnaws our feet.
The rock and stone is like old bone, all bare of meat.
But stream and pool is wet and cool, so nice for feet.
And now we wish to catch a fish, so juicy sweet!"
- Gollum/Sméagol, The Two Towers

From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good times on the Encore cable channel today: They've aired 'The Fellowship Of The Ring' 3 times [] So between each showing I watched 'The Two Towers' DVD (which isn't on cable yet). I've really enjoyed my 'mini-marathon'. Glutton For Punishment or Devoted Fan? Take your pick []

[ 01-24-2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Vens Arna ]

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gimilkhad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2746

posted      Profile for Gimilkhad   Author's Homepage   Email Gimilkhad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that PJ did an awesome job with the films. Sure, there are some changes from the book that really bothered me, but that happens when you try to put a story like lotr into a film. I tried to look at the films as what they were, films that were made to entertain a broad audience, not just die-hard fans of the books. Let's face it, as much as I would love to see a perfectly accurate lotr film it would be incredibly boring and uninteresting if you had never read the books, and even if you had, some things just don't work in movies!

My favorite thing about the films ishat they introduced lotr to many people who had never even heard of Tolkien! I have several friends who had never heard of lotr before the films were released and they have now read not only lotr but the Silmarillion and most of HOME!

[ 02-10-2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Gimilkhad ]

From: Minas Tirith | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelicelflover
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4340
posted      Profile for Angelicelflover   Email Angelicelflover   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where to begin... well the actors and actresses that were chosen for the roles was absolutly great and Peter Jackson was and equally great director. And the vizual effects were amazing along with the music and the sound. AND New Zealand was just the perfect landscape for the movie
Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

posted      Profile for Elenár   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the movies were nice...
From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

Wait wait wait - the movies were REALLY good!
From: The glorious UK - for good! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

OK, hold on!! I thought the movies were absolutely INCREDIBLE!! I've been to the purists' page(BLAH BLAH BLAH)....

I know the movies missed a lot - but did you want 9 or 12 movies!?

I think the movies are a masterful marriage of the most incredible tale ever, with awesome music, brilliant actors and astounding effects.

Say no more - NOTHING else can compare, no movie ever can! I am proud to own all the books (SILM, Hobbit, LOTR), and I will be even more proud to own all the movies on DVD!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
God save our gracious Queen!

There are only 10 kinds of people on Earth - those that understand binary and those that don't ;)

Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

Shameless Plug

If you enjoy the books as much as the movies, then come on over to the Ivy Bush and The Bookmark of Minas Tirith! It doesn't matter if you've read LOTR once, a thousand times, or you are reading it for the first time - you can add your comments and insight to each chapter as the story unfolds.

End Shameless Plug

Ellanor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1515
posted      Profile for Ellanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

[]

[ 02-22-2004, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Ellanor ]

From: The Shire | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

[] At least now that the big hoo-ha is over, the movie fans will be curious about these great books [] , and many will be converted from the movies and discover the REAL middle earth and LotR!! []
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't tend to think of the films as any more or less Middle Earth than the books.
The movies are Pj's adapted version of the classic tale. The entire magic about books is that everyone can read the exact same thing and get something completely different out of it. What Peter Jackson found in the books was translated onto screen. It is his realisation fo Tolkien's work. So whether or not what you saw accurately matches what you read in the books is irrelovent. PJ saw this and shared it with the world. I don't see how anyone could possibley say that because of that what eh did isn't LotR

[ 03-04-2004, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Gollum the great ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

I know, I was just trying to suck up to the die-hard book fanatics!

Personally, I think the movies were masterfully done!

Asmodeus Lord ofthe Ninth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4428
posted      Profile for Asmodeus Lord ofthe Ninth   Author's Homepage   Edit/Delete Post 
The opinion on whether the books are better or the movies are better is just an opnion of which you read/saw first. If you read the books, than you will most likely like the books better, but if you saw the movie and then read the books you would say that the movie is better. Here is one of the few instnaces that i am being unbiased: The movies could not have been better done. I praise the script writers for a accurate represantation of a clasic on to the film. The actors breathed the breath of life into it for its great acting, and the directing was fantastic. The best part goes to the editing though. The movie could have been complete crap if it was not for the fantasticly good editing.
From: Conquering the world from my ninth layer of hell. I.E. Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erlendil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4391
posted      Profile for Erlendil   Email Erlendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Listen:

I don't say that the movies are bad in any way, but to say that there wasn't changed anything in the movies is wrong!! Yes, we can say that they changed it (and often to worse)! It stands in the book, black on white, what happened! And you have to agree that scenes like Legolas riding "shieldboard" in Helm's Deep and climbing the Oliphant is scenes that really should't be there... []

From: Annuminas (or Trondheim, Norway) | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't say that the movies are bad in any way, but to say that there wasn't changed anything in the movies is wrong!! Yes, we can say that they changed it (and often to worse)! It stands in the book, black on white, what happened! And you have to agree that scenes like Legolas riding "shieldboard" in Helm's Deep and climbing the Oliphant is scenes that really should't be there...
Wrong thread.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnkell
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3864

posted      Profile for Arnkell   Email Arnkell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
lord FireStar: "I know, I was just trying to suck up to the die-hard book fanatics!"

The same levelheaded and professional people who are currently tearing their hair off in tearfueled fits of rage becuase the Entmoot in "Two Towers" wasn't botanically decorated the way it was in the book?
Bless them.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whoever undertakes to rule the kingdom and to shape it according to his whim - I foresee that he will fail to reach his goal. That is all.
The kingdom is a living being. It cannot be constructed. He who tries to manipulate it will spoil it, he who tries to put it under his power will lose it.

-- Lao-Tzu

From: Sueonia, Land of strife | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elenár
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4322

I didn't understand that one... []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help