Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 3)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As some of the 'Purists' seem to be bereft of a sense of humour (and proportion), I decided I had better post this here, so that we can laugh at their silliness...

-

[]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maia Olorin -I saw that yesterday and thought about posting it, but decided not to for the reasons you stated. "Jason the Purist"?? []

I've got tickets to see the movie this afternoon with some friends-they're not Tolkien readers, and they're so excited about seeing the film with someone who is very familiar with several of Tolkien's books (i.e. *me*). This thread and others have been very helpful in preparing to brace myself for some of the omissions/changes, and to maintain a positive attitude about filling in some of the plot gaps and background for my friends. Quietly, of course, so as not to disturb others. []

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Sean Astin [] Utterly perfect.

[] Viggo [] Also perfect.

[] Miranda [] Utter perfection.

Billy Boyd: thank you for making me like Pippin!

The soundtracks for all three films - superb!

The special effects - all of them - were so wonderful there aren't words to describe them.

Thanks PJ!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There were a couple of times during the film, where I said, just loudly enough to be heard by those in close proximity, "that isn't in the book!"

[]

[ 12-20-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine suggested I watch Return of the King under the mindset that I had never read the books before. I did, and I was able to enjoy the movie so much! Rather than get caught up in every change made, and simply watch the movie, I absolutely fell in love with it.

And as an added bonus, I got to cheer when some of my favorite parts in the book were on-screen. Namely, when Sam says, "I cannot carry your burden, but I can carry you!" and picks Frodo up. Now THAT made me cry! I just love Sam, in the movies and in the books.

All in favor of Sean Astin getting Best Supporting Actor (Pun not intended) say "Aye!"

Aye!

From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cinematography, music, casting, costumes, tone and mood....all splendid. Adventure, whimsy, drama, comedy, love and hate...the films had it all. These movies were a long time coming and will remain at the top of a short list of 'best films of all time'. Congratulations and thank you to Peter Jackson for giving us all something to remember and treasure.
From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tar-Minastir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4001

posted      Profile for Tar-Minastir   Email Tar-Minastir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eleanor-
That's what I suggessted doing on page 2 of this thread. I knew it would work! I saw ROTK yesterday, and I can't get over it.

The Oliphaunts and the Coronation scene were particularly memorable. Grond looked great, with the interesting addition of the flaming mouth and eyes and the archers on the sides, the siege was good, different from Helm's Deep in the way that they didn't drag out the march of the orcs to MT, they just sort of arrived, and everything else was good. Denethor was....interesting.

From: Vermont | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

posted      Profile for Eleanor Gamgee   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love the way Denethor caught on fire then ran, flaming, off the top of the castle courtyard! True to the books or not, that's a heck of a way to go. That's how I wanna die- a streak of fire hurling off a cliff.
From: St. Louis... well, close enough. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this movie had it all. It's one of the best movies of all time, without a doubt. The first two are right up there with it. Yep, it's safe to say this is the greatest movie trilogy of time for sure.

How about the beginning with the origin of Gollum? I thought it was chilling to the bone. Andy Serkis was incredible as Gollum, both as the special effect, and as Smeagol. I also thought John Noble was very good as Denethor. He made me hate the hell out of him.

My favorite part of the movie was the Mt. Doom scene. My senses were overwhelmed. I'll see this movie at least 10 times.

Two thumbs up, way up! [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnkell
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3864

posted      Profile for Arnkell   Email Arnkell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Four things I really hadn't expected the moviemakers to get right, but they did:
- Narya on Gandalf's finger
- Gondorian Soldier's heads catapulted back into MT for psychologic - warfare
- Frodo's finger (as vividly detailed as in the book, if not moreso)
- Sam coming home, saying "Well, I'm back." Broke my heart.

From: Sueonia, Land of strife | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sam coming home, saying "Well, I'm back." Broke my heart
That was by far the best part of the movie. Three cheers for Sean Astin.
From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhhhhhh I cried the whole movie!

I loved Minas Tirith! The White City was wonderful!!!!

The whole movie was great!
Someparts I was like [] But all in all it was fantastic! I can't wait to see it again

[] [] [] []

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anorfildur Isilme
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3324

posted      Profile for Anorfildur Isilme   Email Anorfildur Isilme   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I cried during the whole movie, too....

Minas Tirith is so impressive, Gandalf was developed very well as a character, Gollum is even better than in TTT, they corrected their huge mistake with Faramir, the battles are fantastic and the ending is perfect!!!!....

They only disappointed me with Witch-King....I expected something else BUT anyway the movie is completely perfect......Too sad & emotional for me...... [] [] []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The Witch Queen----Black Bishop of The Dark Diocese

"No i ahië ya meril cenë Ambaressë" -El

From: Sometimes Hell , sometimes Heaven | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Minas Tirith was incredible, but I still think Minas Morgul was the absolute best set in the entire trilogy. []
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ar Pharazon the Golden
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4011
posted      Profile for Ar Pharazon the Golden   Email Ar Pharazon the Golden   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely with Tar-Minastir. I especially liked the Oliphant sequence. It was much better than the comparable scene in Star Wars. Also, the camera angles were used to great effect on the steps to Cirith Ungol, at Minas Tirith, etc.
Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor EowynatHeart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3437

posted      Profile for EowynatHeart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Addie, I had totally forgot about Minas Morgul!!!!
Wasn't that something. This movie was just a visual feast!

I want to build the White City in my back yard []

From: Wait! The map was upside down!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you do, you're american.
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

Huh? What's that supposed to mean?
Roll of Honor Snaga
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2945

posted      Profile for Snaga   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm stepping to the other side of the tracks here. Perhaps my favorite thing about RotK was the interaction between Merry and Eowyn. I think Eowyn was the strongest performance in the whole movie and brought this "purist" right into her character. When little Merry was playing with his sword and so proud of it, I thought that was so nice the way Eowyn supported him.
From: Mordor - upper east side | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnkell
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3864

posted      Profile for Arnkell   Email Arnkell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think she identified with him as a person happy and eager to pick up arms but not getting respect when doing so.
The cuts between Theoden, Merry and Eowyn during Theoden's pep-talk produced a vibrant electricity in the cinema. We were all there, ready to march to war.
And what a cavalry raid it was. The audience was gasping in the cinema I went too.
That first Mûmakil-steersman puts Darth Maul to shame, all categories.
He looked so full of malicious pleasure, like a kid with a magnifying glass, burning and stepping on ants.

From: Sueonia, Land of strife | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estel II
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3936
posted      Profile for Estel II   Email Estel II   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the scene with Pippin singing, tears were pouring down my face. Yey, they corrected Faramir. But no Faramir and Eowyn.
From: New Zealand | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eleanor Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2536

Well, they slightly alluded to Faramir and Eowyn relationship -- at the end the two sort of give each other a "look". Kinda. Anyway, my non-Tolkien reading friend leaned over and asked, "Do those two get together?" So I guess the point got across.
Estel II
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3936
posted      Profile for Estel II   Email Estel II   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know, and they also allude to the fact that Denethor has a palantir when he says "The white tower is not blind" I hope these points are expanded on in the extended cut.
From: New Zealand | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellanor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1515
posted      Profile for Ellanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone interested in nominating and predicting the Oscars for 2003
here's a website for you. Other contenders include Mystic River and Cold Mountain. None of it means too much, but it's just for fun:

Nominate and Guess the Oscars 2003

Someone noticed that actually the film is entered twice, once as The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, and a second time as LOTR: Return of the King. If you tally the two together, Return of King is ahead in the race by over 200 votes.

[ 12-27-2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Ellanor ]

From: The Shire | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My moviegoing experience was absolutely amazing this year. I cried through most of the film, and it really, really touched me. During the scene of Aragorn's and Arwen's meeting, I burst into tears so hard that my cousin started consoling me, and then I bawled during Aragorn's coronation. I felt so proud!!! I found the friendship and bond between Merry and Éowyn extremely touching! Everything was great, except for Legolas' stupid line. *sigh*
Oh, and I forgot - the development of Smeagol into Gollum in the beginning... I was so stunned by the transformation that my jaw was literally hanging!! It was AMAZING! I love the way they slowly transformed him into the creature that he has become... and the fish-biting. UGH! That really did it for me. []
God I wanna see it again...
-Keo

[ 12-29-2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Princess Keona ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help