Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 2)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To return to how great the films are . . .

Among numerous excellencies, outstanding are:

i) The music.

ii) The immaculate casting, above all of Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo, Saruman, Wormtongue, Eowyn, Galadriel.

iii) The CGI Gollum, one of the most outstanding achievements in the entire history of animation.

iv) The hobbits and the party.

v) Moria.

vi) Isengard, and that swooping camera work.

vii) The way the hobbits always look hobbit-sized even when not beside full-sized characters.

viii) The Black Gate opening.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No no you didn`t finish the book, I remeber cause you didn`t get past lothlorien cause you had NO idea what was going on, and you told me you thought for a split second that you thought aragorn died when Lurtz throws the sheild at his throat.

What?
I did finish the book you jackass, though it's true I did have no idea what was going on.
I just didn't continue on to TTT after finishing, therefore the fight between Lurtz and Aragorn, as well as Boromir's death was all new to me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrispyCream
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1701

posted      Profile for ChrispyCream   Email ChrispyCream   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now now there`s no need for name calling, but i distinctly remeber you only reading up to Lothlorien cause i was giving you hell about it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
7 Seasons, 144 Episodes, 6018 minutes, 361018 Seconds.
BEST. SHOW. EVER.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade, all shall fade.

From: Australia, land of milk and honey... and some cement. | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellanor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1515
posted      Profile for Ellanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As of today, the critical reviews at Rotten Tomatoes is at an unprecedented 100% with a 10/10 rating of Cream of the Crop. MetaCritic site is also at an unbelievable 100%. It is clear that the film is being widely recognized by the film industry as a masterpiece of modern film making. Whether the film can continue at this rate will be interesting to watch, especially as reaction from the general public begins to trickle in. The film has also garnered its firt Best Picture award from the New York Film Critics.

Rotten Tomatoes: Return of the King

Meta Critic: Return of the King

[ 12-16-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Ellanor ]

From: The Shire | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A few aspects of the movies that were outstanding:

The Shire - From the opening scene, it honestly seemed like it had been lifted directly from Tolkien's mind.

The death of Boromir - His heroic end was extremely well-done.

Treebeard - When else will I get a chance to see an Ent?

Casting - In general, the casting was superb. For the most part, each actor seemed to really breathe life into the characters Tolkien created.

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, you were giving me hell about seeing it two days late (shock horror). I can guarentee I got past Lothlorien and the Anduin, I distinctly remember the part with Gollum on paddling on the log because I was expecting to see it at some point in the film and was sorely dissapointed. I also got to the part where Boromir tried to take the ring from Frodo because I remember noticing that when he lifts it from the Caradhras and says his "strange fate" line it struck me that he was supposed to say it at Amon Hen. I'm not sure if I actually finished the book, but I got close to the end, waaay further than Lothlorien.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrispyCream
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1701

posted      Profile for ChrispyCream   Email ChrispyCream   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes well we discussed this today so there`s really no point in further spaming this thread... so Lilly BEGONE!!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
7 Seasons, 144 Episodes, 6018 minutes, 361018 Seconds.
BEST. SHOW. EVER.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade, all shall fade.

From: Australia, land of milk and honey... and some cement. | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
whose telling me to be gone? I haven't entered this thread yet... [] I was waiting for rotk...

this is all I have to say:

WOW AND SAM I LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! [] []

Beautiful. Fantastic.

I even liked Arwen alot.....she rocked....Eowyn rocked more, but it's hard to beat her. []

Yeah. wow....I damn near cried about 3 times.....

two words:

SAM GAMGEE.

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
grey havens were beautiful, my favorite set in the entire damn trilogy
From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellanor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1515
posted      Profile for Ellanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a complete chart comparing critical reviews from all three movies:

Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic Chart LOTR Chart

Interesting to see how people rated all three movies, especially those who gave negative reviews (Ebert apparently dislikes 'what in the end, is a silly fantasy' . . but had glowing remarks for the filmmaking)

From: The Shire | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eowyn of Edoras
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 714

posted      Profile for Eowyn of Edoras   Author's Homepage   Email Eowyn of Edoras   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It was amazing. I was speechless at the end.

I liked all of the changes.

AND PJ kept my favorite lines in the book word for word in the movie!!!! "I will not say 'do not weep' for not all tears are an evil." That was perfect.

"Well, I'm back."---perfect.

My best friend went with me and she complained about all of the changes until I told her to shut the hell up. She almost ruined it for me.

I don't think I've cried more in a movie before. It was utterly breathtaking.

From: Pa, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
the havens were GORGEOUS! More lovely than I ever imagined....

It was annoying for me because....I was in the car with a bunch of people who weren't really fans and they were like, "WTF? I thought Frodo died! That's a disappointment"....

I was thinking, "I need someone to actually discuss this with!!"

From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Damn near cried", you say? Ha! I cried without shame throughout most of the film []
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elentari KYM
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3644

posted      Profile for Elentari KYM   Email Elentari KYM   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love the films! I've read all the books and reaize that there must be changes in order for the lenghty wordy book to work.
I saw RotK today and am sooo blown away by it that I can't do anything tonight other than think about it and smile =)
I love the sets and the music and the acting... I love how Middle Earth is brought out through special effects and lovely set construction. All the props, all the items/weapons/accessories/clothes were specificifically made for this movie and that is special indeed.
It's always hard to adapt book to movie but I think PJ and crew did an exceptional job with this grand LotR project.

::off to see RotK 2nd time:: []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Aurë entuluva!" ~Hurin

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." ~Galadriel

"You must choose, Beren, between these two: to relinquish the quest and your oath and seek a life of wandering upon the face of the earth; or to hold to your word and challenge the power of darkness upon its throne. But on either road I shall go with you, and our doom shall be alike. " ~Luthien, The Silmarillion

From: over the Western sea into Valinor | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
She-Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2259

posted      Profile for She-Elf   Author's Homepage   Email She-Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't cry. Perhaps that was because Lune was sitting next to me giggling. Can you imagine? You're trying to get awashed by a truely emotional scene while someone is laughing in the seat next to you. Nice! She explained that it was either laughing or crying. Next time: pick "crying"! [] Did do a lot of blinking though...
From: Fraggle Rock | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Just to be fair, there were a few things I REALLY liked about RotK. The number one thing I was looking forward to seeing was Minas Morgul, and it did not disappoint! Grond was also just kick-ass. I thought Minas Tirith was gorgeous, and the look on Elronds face when Arwen is revealed at the coronation!... [] ... I just couldn't handle it! *sigh* Yes, there was some good to it...
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tar-Minastir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4001

posted      Profile for Tar-Minastir   Email Tar-Minastir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
With the Two Towers, I went into the theater, watched the movie, and loved it. And when I went back to the book afterwards (I haven't been a big Tolkein fan for very long) I found that everything had changed and everything was wrong. But you know what? I didn't care. Because I had seen the movie and loved it. And that's what i'll do with ROTK tomorrow-i'll watch it as a movie, and not think about the book. Because if you're not thinking about the book, then there is nothing missing, and nothing wrong. It's just one great film. The only problem with this is that your ignoring Tolkien's work and its relation to the film, but you can't dwell on the deviations from the book. You have to look at the good stuff, like my favorite, the music.

I'm off to watch the king return! Wish me luck....

From: Vermont | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnkell
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3864

posted      Profile for Arnkell   Email Arnkell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If I just focus on the book passage of Frodo leaving and Sam going home to his daughter, I get moved. It has made a deep impression in my memory.
Funny. I played the FOTR-soundtrack, "Breaking...", to really break down my barriers, I haven't listened to it in a long while. It's fascinating how every movie has a very distinct score, alike and yet differing. FOTR has so much innocence that gets lost in TTT.

Without asking for spoilers, is the ROTK-music distinctive from the others? Is it good?

From: Sueonia, Land of strife | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Adulithien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2193

posted      Profile for Adulithien   Email Adulithien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would say it was particularly standout. [] I distinctly recall thinking that several times during the movie.
From: Austin | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the movies.

Love the books even more.

But I'm pleased with the movies. They were great epic storytelling. No one is going to be able to touch this for years to come.

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Miriel and I went to see it today (finally! I've been down with a nassstttyyy bug, and now Miri has it too). I was blown away. I have my quibbles, like just about all of us, but I think, based upon experience, the EE will mitigate most of my objections.

This is gonna be a bit rambly....I'm ok widdat...
[]

I am absolutely certain, now, that these three movies will take their place as my all-time personal favourites, and that they will also take their rightful place in our culture as well. I suppose there will be some who want to throw PJ et al into 'the abyss prepared for them' but these are, imo, the best movies to be made during my lifetime. I do not say that lightly: I have had a lot of favourites, and the names of Kubrick, Coppola, and a couple of others go with them. They've been eclipsed by these films. Oh, I'll still respect 'The Godfather I & II,' '2001,' 'Dr. Strangelove,' 'The Graduate,' 'Apocalypse Now,' and many others. However, none of them, with possibly the exception of 'The Graduate,' resonated with me on the deep emotional level that the LotR movies have. I have been deeply moved by these films. A confluence of personal and external causes have left me emotionally raw over the last few years. I suppose that I should, sometime, write a definitive essay about my feelings of the films. Not today, though. I do remember, however, the fall of 2001, when many people didn't know if WWIII was going to break out as a result of the attacks in New York. When I saw Boromir say 'the world of Men shall fall, and my city will come to ruin,' I had the images in my head of the planes flying into the towers, and their crumbling. I thought all hell was going to break loose. That's just one example of how the first movie affected me very deeply.

As for the Topic-Header, they (the movies) have, without a doubt, exceeded my expectations. For one thing, I am somewhat of a pessimist. The good thing about being a pessimist is that I can only be pleasantly surprised. [] PJ pleasantly surprised me. These movies will never supplant the books in my heart, or mind, they will take a place of honour beside them, though.

[]

[ 12-20-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

wow....good words, Maia....

I can safely say that I am a "realist optomist"(if that makes sense)...I have hopes but I am reasonable with them. So, I was disappointed with TT(especially with fotr being so good) but then after that, I didn't have such high hopes for rotk, so I was pleasantly surprised....It all worked out.... []

I'm still disappointed with TT, but RotK was beyond what I was anticipating. Simply wonderful. []

Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have one thing to say:

Sean Astin.

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
^I ardently concur.

*loves all three films equally, TT not less so*

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irildë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2814
posted      Profile for Irildë   Email Irildë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"Hark... she arrives in glorius Splendour..."

The Lady of Gondolin returns again after much toil ( i.e. getting long-awaited seats to the Master piece that is The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King!)

LOTR-It is THE epitome of Perfection in all its forms! i was born a fan/ follower and will die a true fan/follower. Could anything be this Dark yet so Pure, this Beautiful?

Namärié...

From: South Africa | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help